Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2006, 4:09 am

One word: Rhino! :D

I must commend this label for truly being in the business to bring love to the people!

http://rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=75466

http://rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=76787

I'm lucky that my local library lends cds. Both of these sets were there. Both superb.

Just check out these psychadelic song titles:

"Voices Green And Purple", "Out Of Our Tree", "Optical Sound", "Journey To The Centre Of My Mind" :lol: I just can't get enough of this stuff :D

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2006, 7:04 pm

the doors r phycidelic rock

nukleuz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Apr 2006, 12:46 am

I love the late 60's psychedelic music:

Pink Floyd
Can
Jefferson Airplane
Big Brother and the Holding Company
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Moby Grape
The United States of America
Blue Cheer
Jimi Hendrix
The Doors

I don't go a day without listening to at least one of these bands.

TijuanaLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2006, 8:28 pm

I was obsessed with 60s psychedelic rock last year. Still love it offcourse, but makes me feel kind of sad since I was very depressed at the time. Favorite bands:

13th floor elevators
Grateful Dead
Jefferson Airplane
Love (Forever Changes is IMO when of the best albums ever)
Syd Barett and early Pink Floyd
The psychedelic Beatles are great!! !
The Zombies
The Small Faces
Flat Earth Society
Velvet Undergroud are also great, but are more like the dark side of the trip

Apart from the above I always liked (and always will like) trippy, experimental but melodic music

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 3:05 pm

anoyne ever heard fo wolfmother? actually they're really new their cd came out a few weeks ago, but they're excellent

TijuanaLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2006, 6:04 pm

how do they sound like?

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 7:22 am

Many of you have already listed some of my favorites:

Quote:
The Doors

The first psychedelic group I truly loved.

Quote:
Pink Floyd (esp. first album)

(My user name was chosen for a reason)

Quote:
Gong

I've got a flying teapot, don't need a taxi!

Quote:
Yes

I just can't say no to Yes. (:

Quote:
13th Floor Elevators

Gotta love the electric jug.

Quote:
Beatles

Greater than Jesus. (;

Quote:

Oh God, pride of man... broken in the dust again.

I'd also add (and apologies if these aren't considered "true psychedelic"..) Amorphous Androgynous, Acid Mothers Temple, West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Dream Syndicate, Porcupine Tree, Moody Blues, Count Five, Brain Ticket, Red Crayola, High Tide, Parson Sound, White Heaven, Mad River.

If we consider progressive rock as part of psychedelic, I'd have to include some of the groups involved in the Rock In Opposition movement (and movements which followed) like Captain Beefheart, Univers Zero, Guapo, Art Zoyd, Entron Fou LeLoublan, Fred Frith, French TV, Henry Cow, Miriodor, Stormy Six, Potemkine, Banda Elastica, Lindsay Cooper, Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses, My Bloody Valentine (does Shoegaze count as Psychedelic?)

I could go on, but I'm trying to stay within the realm of psychedelic here, whereas the groups today are usually considered more avant-garde or have mixed into sub-forms of electronic music. But I grew up in the 90s and was a neo-hippie that attended mostly alternative rock concerts and raves as opposed to jam band venues or classic rock and folk concerts. As a youngster I was into Jungle, IDM, Industrial, Progressive House, and Psytrance (hence my appreciation for psychedelic roots). Nowadays I'm fascinated by many genres from all eras.. but I have soft spots for electronic, 90s alternative, psychedelic (and 60s classic rock/ folk) and classical music (especially Bach) above all else.

E7ernal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2008, 9:53 am

Not so much psychedelic but I listen to some funk sometimes. Then again I listen to everything.

I like the Heliocentrics - http://www.stonesthrow.com/nowagain/heliocentrics/

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 2:02 pm

Is Primal Scream psychadelic?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 8:18 pm

I had my psychedelic rock phase...

Radiohead :D

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 2:01 pm

Jefferson Airplane
Fifty Foot Horse
The Mothers of Invention

And apparently, Hawkwind, Chrome, Pink Floyd and tons of other non Psychedelic bands.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 2:13 pm

Wow, I haven't thought of Hawkwind in years and years. I remember a magazine article saying they were going to be the greatest Psych Band ever, and then Floyd released Dark Side. I get a royal kick out of Atom Heart Mother, although I doubt anyone else would enjoy listening with me. I went out and purchased Syd's solo albums back in the early 70's. Loved his stuff ! ! I even bought several bootleg albums, and still have one of them. Went to see Waters in concert and he did Interstellar Overdrive, I almost fell over ! !! (He played cards with the rest of the band while the drummer did his solo.) Lately I've listened to Mars Volta, but didn't like how muddled the lyrics were.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:02 pm

I have always liked the mainstream music from the 60's and 70's, I.e. Hendrix, Doors, etc. But lately, with the internet, I'm really getting into obscure psychedelic bands.

Comus
Bonniwell Music Machine
Tripsichord Music Box
The Neighb'rhood Childr'n
Baby Grandmothers

Many others, but I don't have my ipod handy.

innov79
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2008, 10:28 pm

1 of my top fave grenres of music, my favs are early pink floyd, jefferson airplane, and the velvet underground, as well as related bands like hawkwind, can, ride, (early) soundgarden, primus, my bloody valntine, mahnavishnu orchestra, butthole surfers, capt beefheart, elp, king crimson and gentle giant

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 7:10 am

Around the one-year anniversary of Syd's passing, I wrote a couple of articles about him if anyone's interested:

http://rockmidgets.com/features.php?page=4&id=1125

http://rockmidgets.com/features.php?page=4&id=1126

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2008, 11:26 pm

Here are my piks: King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead (especially their first 3 albums), Tool, A Perfect Cirlce, Primus, anything Les Claypool, Jimi Hendrix, The Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule, Umphrey's McGee, Soundtribe Sector 9, Infected Mushroom, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Aphex Twin, Buckethead, Cream, Electric Wizard, Black Sabbath, Faith No More, FrankZapp, The Melvins, Jefferson Airplane, Neurosis, John MacLoughlin, Jaco Pastorius, The Prodigy.