Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Malaclypse
Raven
Raven

22 Dec 2005, 5:40 am

Anyone here interested in that kind of music? Since aspies are said to be high on the abstract scale it should fit us like a glove, right? In that case you should really hear everything by Hidria Spacefolk. They're probably the best band I've ever heard, no matter what genre.

Tolian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2005, 5:54 am

I'll check that band out on Napster when I get home.

As for Psychedelic rock, I'm not 100% sure what sort of music you mean, but yeah I'm definately into abstract music and I do like rock. I like the Flaming Lips, which are pretty abstract, and they were heavily into acid punk rock etc in their early days. I was a big fan of Radiohead, but my musical tastes have changed to like happier music. Interestingly, I think the happier music makes me more depressed :P

Wait, never mind.

Malaclypse
Raven
Raven

22 Dec 2005, 6:20 am

>Interestingly, I think the happier music makes me more depressed

Hehe, that's interesting, yeah. :)

What I mean by psychedelic rock is bands like Ozric Tentacles, Hawkwind, Gong and the like.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 6:51 am

Malaclypse wrote:
Anyone here interested in that kind of music? Since aspies are said to be high on the abstract scale it should fit us like a glove, right? In that case you should really hear everything by Hidria Spacefolk. They're probably the best band I've ever heard, no matter what genre.

I havn't heard that particular band, but here's a few that like:

Hawkwind
The Bevis Frond
Butthole Surfers
Chrome/Helios Creed
Pink Floyd (pre- Dark Side of the Moon)

EDIT Helios was supposed to be Helios Creed

Last edited by Fogman on 22 Dec 2005, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2005, 7:23 am

I like Pink Floyd and their introspective, spacial sound.

Flaming Lips are trippy.

Chill music like Morcheeba, suits me fine.

Jam Bands like Phish, Widespread Panic, Grateful Dead and such.

Michael Franti & Spearhead is awesome.

But then again, I enjoy REM and the dorky, guilty pleasures of The Polyphonic Spree and They Might Be Giants.

.....Just to name a very few.....

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2005, 7:37 am

Even The Doors are psychedelic. Love those blues driven organ solos on drugs.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 7:44 am

Definately the early Pink Floyd in the Syd Barrett led era and his solo stuff, notably the albums The Pipes At The Gates of Dawn (one of best psych rock albums ever), A Sauceful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother. I also like bands like Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, late Beatles stuff, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Jim Morrison and the Doors, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Flaming Lips, some Mars Volta, Ween, Velvet underground,

Open the Doors of Perception. I love prog rock.

Malaclypse
Raven
Raven

22 Dec 2005, 9:31 am

Oh man! Thanks for all the music tips yourselves! I've heard Morcheeba (and those I mentioned of course) and some more, but the more the merrier. :)

The sound of Hidria is the typical psychedelic sound of complexity and intervening patterns from many instruments at once etc. But many psychedelic rock bands, I think, don't go anywhere with that sound, in contrast to these guys who always creates a stringent melody for the song and take it somewhere.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 12:39 pm

Hawkwind

The tracks vary from minimalist avantgarde synth compositions, overlaid with poetry to heavy rock. They dont mess about with psychedelic subtleties, preferring to overwhelm the listener with an undulating wall-of-sound comprising pulses, filters, and all sorts of computer generated wizzy-noises. Theres several torrents on demonoid atm. the synth-instrumental 'paranoia' + light show would cause acid-heads in the audience to freak out and flee the auditorium screaming! :D

If your into this 70's stuff, then you may like somethe progressive end of 90's/00's psy-trance. Infected mushroom, shpongle and entheogenic (ambient) are amongst the most original.

Last edited by psych on 22 Dec 2005, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 1:05 pm

Interestingly enough, my first "rockstar idol" was Syd Barrett, when I was 9. I wanted be him. LOL I'm still a fan of his til this day. Nowadays I don't like Pink Floyd after him, although I loved that stuff like crazy when I was a kid. Floyd was one of my obsessions at the time - I had all the albums, icliding all of Syd's solo stuff that was available then, every book and magazine articles on them i could find, memorixed song lyrics, song track order, members' bios, etc. By 12 I was a walking Floyd encyclopedia. My first concert was David Gilmour solo, and my second was Roger Waters solo. LOL.

A little while back I wrote a song in honor for Syd.

I like some of 60's psychedelic, but pre-San Fran scene and pre-prog rock era. I like some of Jefferson Airplane, and admire Jorma Kaukonen alot (his acoustic style has been a big influence on me), but I can't stand folksy psych like the Dead, Moby Grape and all that.

One psychedelic band I love is th Misunderstood. They were a Cali band that recorded a bunch of stuff that's just rock R& B a la the Stones, but then went to England and recorded so very tripped out stuff. Legend has it, Syd and the rest of then nacabt Floyd saw them in concert during that time and Piper at the Gates of Dawn was greatly influenced by that. You can get those later recordings by them on the CD Before teh Dream Faded.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2005, 2:13 pm

Anybody like The Crazy World of Aurther Brown?....Pete Townsend produced this tripped- out pre-Emerson, Lake & Palmer psychedelic-funfest.

Hey, mjs82! The Mars Volta is from my hometown. I met Cedric and Omar at their former At The Drive-In bandmate Jim's wedding. The Mars Volta was founded the next day.

I too, have been deeply into The Doors; read the books, studied the lyrics and caught the post-Morrison incarnation in 1975. I even catch Doors tribute bands when I can, just 'cause I like the sounds. I really admire Ray Manzarek. His pedantic ramblings are an inspiration to any aspie, IMO.

I really like the way "Saucerful of Secrets" and "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" were packaged as "A Nice Pair" with the amazing gatefold album cover by Hypgnosis. Every picture tells a pun and every song paints a picture. It's nice to have something to look at while listening to these two fine musical journeys through the vast expanse of psychedelia.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

psych
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 2:19 pm

UFO was originally a 70's space-rock outfit, on the first 2 lps in the pre-Schenker era.

I preferred the mid-period folksy grateful dead to the overtly progressive stuff on the first 3 records. 'wake of the flood' is probably my favourite (from those ive heard)

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 12:08 am

Cade wrote:
Floyd was one of my obsessions at the time - I had all the albums, icliding all of Syd's solo stuff that was available then

Well I wasn't old enough to be around to witness the musical progression of Pink Floyd, and I was a born-after-the-fact fan so I was experiencing their early psych sound and prog sound at the same time and I enjoyed both equally. The band really has three eras, Barrett/Waters/Gilmour. I'm so glad Gilmour is getting out and touring again, he's an excellent guitarist. From the early stuff, I love tunes like "Arnold Layne", "See Emily Play", "Bicycle", "Astronomy Donime" and "Careful With That Axe Eugene" off live Ummagumma. The later of which I like to listen to in the dark and wait for the mesmerising scream. Syd's solo stuff like "Milky Way" was so surreal.

oatwillie wrote:
Hey, mjs82! The Mars Volta is from my hometown. I met Cedric and Omar at their former At The Drive-In bandmate Jim's wedding. The Mars Volta was founded the next day.

Yes I do recall you telling me that once before actually, a few months ago when I posted that they were what I was listening to at the moment. They're a great band.

oatwillie wrote:
I too, have been deeply into The Doors; read the books, studied the lyrics and caught the post-Morrison incarnation in 1975. I even catch Doors tribute bands when I can, just 'cause I like the sounds. I really admire Ray Manzarek. His pedantic ramblings are an inspiration to any aspie, IMO.

Yes I used to listen to The Doors live albums in high school religiously. Also, about a month or two ago, Ray Manzarek I think played a show not so far from where I live. I was out of the town at the time so I couldn't go.

oatwillie wrote:
I really like the way "Saucerful of Secrets" and "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" were packaged as "A Nice Pair" with the amazing gatefold album cover by Hypgnosis. Every picture tells a pun and every song paints a picture.

I posted that "A Nice Pair" in my Rudey Nudey Album Cover thread. I once read about how they were displeased with each of the nine individual cover artworks that were made so they combined them altogether. It's sacriligious to be a Floyd fan and not to have this set.

Malaclypse
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2005, 5:34 pm

psych wrote:
If your into this 70's stuff, then you may like somethe progressive end of 90's/00's psy-trance. Infected mushroom, shpongle and entheogenic (ambient) are amongst the most original.

Yes, I'm very much into the psy scene and Shpongle (or at least Posford) is my god in music. The latest album I think have a lot of references in its style and idea to Finnegans Wake - one long, windling dream with reoccurring containing all the sounds of Shpongle (as opposed to the entire history), using tons of instruments and choires... Man... And the melodies in it. No one can create CEVs like Shpongle.

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2006, 3:45 am

The Doors
Pink Floyd (esp. first album)
Gong
Jimi Hendrix
The Dukes of Stratosphear (aka XTC)
The Electric Prunes
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Yes
Genesis (esp. with Peter Gabriel)
King Crimson

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2006, 4:09 am

One word: Rhino! :D

I must commend this label for truly being in the business to bring love to the people!

http://rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=75466

http://rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=76787

I'm lucky that my local library lends cds. Both of these sets were there. Both superb.

Just check out these psychadelic song titles:

"Voices Green And Purple", "Out Of Our Tree", "Optical Sound", "Journey To The Centre Of My Mind" :lol: I just can't get enough of this stuff :D