Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 12:06 pm

I hated French because they ask what you do at your free time in French and I don't lots of stuff in my free time.
History because I hardly learn anything except tortures like slaves, working conditions, Hitler and holocausts (I don't mean to offend you by tortures but they stick to my head).
Geography because of homework and it was too hard.
RE because it was too hard and I know the basic part of religions.
ICT because of my teacher and waste time explaining screen shots.
Technology because of evaluating.
Art because of pupils saying can't and teacher has to help them and she can't the ones who are really struggling like me.
Maths because of homework and used to badly struggle because I was on higher now foundation.
English because of homework and writing a lot.
Science because two teachers are useless at telling off naughty pupils when my LSA isn't around.
PE because I hate sports and going into groups.
Form because off naughty pupils.
I also hate supply teacher because they are so useless at telling off naughty pupils and their solution is to keep everyone in at lessons.

<sarcasm>
I can tell you more about my best school but no, I have too much.
</sarcasm>

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 12:22 pm

You either need to be in private school, or start looking forward to college.

Public education in America is a sick joke. Kids are graduating who don't even know how to read, write and do math at their specified level of development. Now kids can get one of four types of diplomas...with the highest one equivalent to the old fashioned diploma.

We're just churning out idiots.

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 12:29 pm

My school is secondary school.

My parents can't afford Private School and I'll be at college in September.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 5:08 pm

I was at a private college and the level of competition was a bit too much for me -.- it's the french system too, meaning that if you fail something, even if you pass the other classes, you gotta do them all again. -.- Luckily public system was more flexible, you'd only retake the classes you'd fail and grade up for the ones you'd pass.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 12:53 pm

Ok, in paragraphs and unusual text sketches, (first for everything) i will explain my problems with school.

SECTION .1: LESSONS

Whats The Point? English: I can speak that well enough. yes, i can see shakespeare wrote "good" plays, doesnt mean they'll help me get a job. Say i wanted to be a mechanic, and at the interview they said "do you know the plot to a midsummer nights dream? You dont? Im sorry, you're not right to work here at this mechanic." knowin old English is pointless as well. I Dont speak old English, i speak NORMALLY.

Maths: The most pointless thing ever. In what scenario is Algebra EVER. EVER. Goin to used seriously? You: "Excuse me, do you how much it costs for all these items?" Shopkeeper: "Well, lets call the first item "Y" and the second one "Z". Now, Y is £50, and Z is £49.67. Well, Round those to the nearest number, the answer we will call N." You: *Smack him in the head*." Fractions. Also Reta-- Special. Imagine you and a buddy sharing a pizza with a group of friends. You: "Ok, lets do this!" Buddy 1: "No, no, no, thats not how you do it. Now there a 5 of us here, includin me and you, so lets work this out. First, draw a pie chart, and then work out the correct fraction. 1/5, i think". Buddy 2: "F*ck you, just dish it out!" Buddy 1: "No, because if we dont use proper maths, we wont have equal portions." Buddy 5: Like the other guy said. F*CK YOU!" You: *Smack Buddy 1 in the head*.

Science: Once More, Gay. My current subject in science is rocks. how pointless. Imagine goin hikin with you and a friend. You: "This looks great up here" Buddy: Well, thats because of limestone and im sure there are caves underneath where water has been erodin the rock slowly over time". You: *Punch him in the head*.

SECTION 2: ARRANGING LESSONS/TIMETABLES

Im sure, my school didnt even try. At one point, i have English, learnin how to speak English properly which i can already, and then right after that, i forsake this language and learn French, which is my next lesson.

SECTION 3: SADISTIC RULES

My school is sadistic. here is the preciseness of our uniform "Boys: White shirt with red, black and yellow striped tie with 5 stripes showing. Black blazer with school logo sewed onto front, with padded shoulders. Plain black trousers with a crease. Jackets may be worn, but nothing of leather, leather look, or denim. Plain black school shoes must be worn. No extremes of hairstyle, includin patters cut into your hair. (Thats right. they're tellin you how to wear your HAIR now.)" The list goes on. Patterns in your hair end you up in isolation, which is basically a room with a booth, a table in your booth, no contact durin your time in isolation, face into your booth, no break or lunch, yadadada.

SECTION 4: THE END OF MY UNNECCESARILY LONG RANT#

Schools a lump of S**t.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 1:05 pm

Emor wrote:
I can confidently say that the job I want does not require anything I've learnt at school. I want to be a programmer, and I just learn programming languages at home or at dinner.

Our public school system in the States really neglects the subject of programming quite badly. Still, a college education is likely necessary to get a job programming, and most universities offer computer science degrees.

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2009, 2:50 pm

Schooling (Which I define as higher education, I honestly do believe everyone should get basic knowledge in K-12 grades, though this doesn't appear to be the case currently, sadly) isn't for everyone. My school is glutted with a bunch of students who really quite honestly don't belong there, they would be better suited going to a trade school. But because our society values a college degree so highly, they feel compelled to go, which has resulted in the US (And Canada) ending up with an excess of lousy psychologists and not enough carpenters.
If I had my way, then courses on mathematics, physics, geography, history, political science, programming, chemistry, sociology, humanities, writing, poetry languages, and literature would be considerably stronger through the K-12 system, so that our society would be in general more literate and erudite. This way, people would be more well rounded individuals upon high school graduation, and not be compelled to go to university to learn these things, thus freeing them to choose a career they desire and are talented in, without straining universities. Then people who are like me, going to university for both the joy of learning and knowledge, as well as those who want careers in higher fields, will be less crowded out.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 4:30 am

the point of education isn't to learn. the poit is to get a piece of paper stating you are sufficent in x subject and you only get that if you comply with their F***ed up expectations which most people with autism don't.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 6:18 am

I once recieved an e-mail from a really ambitious iranian college/university student who had a double magister degree (don't know if that's what it's called in english but he studied for 4-5 years at least) in political science. The mail was full of grammatical errors as well as being poorly phrased and in it he claimed he was going to "f**k my sister" along with a lot of other nasty things.

This was a reaction to me questioning his academic ability and implying that he only studied (like many people, iranians and people from other class conscious cultures in particular) to get a degree and carry it for social status.

I despise all of the educational system. I'm happy to learn things at home but not through formal education. To me it's pointless sitting in a fart-impregnated, sweat-stinking room listening to a bearded, bold and arrogant man who wears the same clothes every day, for four years just to get an average paid job, or like some of my relatives who are well-paid lawyers, make work your entire life.

Sure, I'm one of those who use my asperger as an excuse for not working, instead I live like a little cinderella, but it's still a fact that in my case, AS (possibly along with some undiagnosed personality disorder) causes tension whenever I try following the rules. I could probably function in society, even though others would hate me, if I had all forms of immunity, didn't answer to the same authorities as others and could just sit back and fix my nails when others had to work. This is how I always behaved, some fellow students in school thought it was "cool" and accepted me for who I am but the teachers and many others became angered.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 2:23 am

Emo wrote:
If You Know What A School Is, If Not Get A Brain, I Think That School Is A Load Of Crap. I Mean, At School, They Only Teach You Things You Allready Know. Its Like 10th Grade Their All "2+2=4 Duh". You Know, At About 3 In The Afternoon, We Could Go There And They Could Be All, "Yea So Go Home, Go On Wikipedia, And Search : Blah Blah Blah." And That Would Be Cool. Does Anybody Agree?

God damn, no wonder you don't like your school. They don't even teach you basic things like proper capitalization. Did you know, if you took a sentence that is n words long, excluding any proper nouns and other legitimate reasons for caps, and typed it properly, you would save n-1 keystrokes? Wait... Apparently you don't pay attention in math either. Never mind.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 3:12 am

Quote:
God damn, no wonder you don't like your school. They don't even teach you basic things like proper capitalization. Did you know, if you took a sentence that is n words long, excluding any proper nouns and other legitimate reasons for caps, and typed it properly, you would save n-1 keystrokes? Wait... Apparently you don't pay attention in math either. Never mind.

Thats it Iv'e had enough.
This the internet and just in case you haven't noticed on the internet,
a lower standerd of english is used. as long the meaning is put across it dosen't matter.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 4:47 am

Yeah, I'm aware it's the Internet. In addition to typing horrendously on the Internet, it is also common to call people out on petty BS once in a while when you feel they're being quite ridiculous in the first place. It's a cheap thrill. :D

TiureJabba
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Apr 2009, 3:28 pm

In response to this topic....

I honestly agree that the kids that "Just want to chill" in school should be booted to Trade School. (Much like Europe/Asia. I give credit to One that mentioned Trade Schooling) In this group would include: Bullies, wannabe gangsters, gangsters.... All of those kids should try moving to Europe. (Not that I've been to Europe. I've only heard that Europe and Asia decide academics from a fellow teacher in my class) I honestly hate being made fun of by bullies, and the thought that they hog up the school's SPACE more makes me pissed off (Sorry for the mild cursing) because "The law requires mandatory education." Overall, though, I have not seen highschool yet (I'm in 8th grade. I certainly hope I DO learn something in 9th.) so I can't complain yet of not learning anything.

NauticalCa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2009, 1:53 pm

The purpose of public school in the most ideologically pure sense of the term in the West is very simple: it is an agent of social control.

You have to understand this point first and foremost: the current incarnation of public schools and regimented, structured schooling throughout the Anglo-American-English speaking worlds is a direct descendant of Otto von Bismarck's social engineering policies of the late 19th century that was "re-imagined" for an American model in the era of Woodrow Wilson. Here's a direct quote from one of America's most "celebrated" Presidents:

The object of education is not merely to draw out the powers of the individual mind: it is rather its right object to draw all minds to a proper adjustment to the physical and social world in which they are to have their life and their development: to enlighten, strengthen and make fit.
"Princeton In The Nation's Service" (21 October 1896)

In other words, the regimented, blocked out form of modern education is not interested in making you smarter. It's a tool of conformity. No more, no less. You are a subject of the State and you will conform to the socio-economic realities of today. Or else. Why else would a system be so intensely focused on a gradual evolution of a person from "grades" that emphasizes obedience to a central authority? Because then it's much, much easier to convince people to conform to the system as adults. It's a Pavlovian approach to education that perpetuates lies about democracy, freedom and individuality on epic scales.

This system has evolved over the decades, too. It's easy to tell a eight-year-old child that they "earned an A" for knowing basic facts; you can't reward cynical, aggressive teenagers A's anymore on the basis of memorization or rote. There's just too much information out there now. Nowadays, the system is rewarding and focusing around a student-centred universe, which is essentially regimented, blocked out education with self-esteem programs and easy A's for a system that most teachers know is a joke. This approach -- remember, there's no democracy in a school -- isn't about instilling discipline in kids or rewarding them for critical, engaging thought. It's about normalization of routine. It's about a system bearing down on our natural curiosities and forcing kids who, say, would love to be an artist or writer to instead consider programs that aren't first loves but will assure employment (another arena of no democracy) and submission to economic ideals. An extra side benefit is that many of those kids will grow up to become miserable slaves to a paycheque in a career they never wanted or be trapped by a lifestyle they were taught to want, thus buying material goods to satisfy, like a drug addict, a void in their lives. It's a temporary high, but a high nonetheless.

Now to be fair, there are many "free school" and "alternative model-education" programs that have evolved over the years as a direct response to this autocratic model.

I'm not saying that people should go through life not appreciating consistent facts about the world or having a shared, agreed upon method of understanding the world. But make no mistake: there are a myriad of ways to make this happen beyond the regimented public schools. You can have an emotionally healthy, happy, creative and socially aware child who knows what the Pythagorean theorem is and still make choices that don't involve them submitting themselves to arbitrary authority figures.

To sum up: school is not education. It is conformity.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 6:09 pm

I hate high school, it is such a waste of time!