Woman marries 23 times, to man married 29 times!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 3:59 pm

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/weird/Indiana-Woman-Said-I-Do-23-Times.html?yhp=1

Hey, if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again!

Her 23rd was a publicity stunt. As such, I don't think it can be considered legally valid. The whole center of a marriage ceremony is the sincerity and truthfulness of your wish to stay together forever, and the law takes straightforward, clear-headed sincerity as crucial to the legally-recognizing status of any wedding. (At least here in Texas.) My wife and I had to say all kinds of oaths just to obtain our marriage license, not to mention the oaths during the actual marriage ceremony itself. If I had responded when asked to say the oaths, "This is just a publicity stunt", they would show me the door.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 11:43 pm

Holy crap. Liz Taylor has met her match!

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:12 am

23 marriages? 29 marriages?

why bother getting married that many times?

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 9:38 am

Again, why can't gays get married??

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:32 am

Averick wrote:
Again, why can't gays get married??

They can. The article says she married two gay men.

Saying "Gays can't get married" is false, deliberately leaving out a necessary predicate of the sentence, the predicate "to each other".
In sentence structure, that's like saying, "I just want to have sex" if you're deliberately leaving out the predicate "with children".
In both sentences, the introductory phrase sounds innocent enough. But if the speaker silently means the predicate, it's an entirely different statement, sentiment, and concept.

TheEvolutionOfLife
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2009, 2:09 pm

Would the 2 gays actually be Bi then in that case?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 7:29 pm

I bet the wedding gifts are nothing to talk about...;)

Katness
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2009, 5:10 am

TheEvolutionOfLife wrote:
Would the 2 gays actually be Bi then in that case?

Depends. If she married them to protect them from their familes or what have you then No. But I remember reading that that is why they divorced in the first place. Because they are gay.