how can you even not believe in aliens...

Page 1 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 3:46 am

I don't understand why there are people that don't believe that aliens exists, the universum keeps getting bigger when time passes by according to the big bang theory and there are already i dunno how many stars, every star represents a solar system which means atleast every star represents an inteligent life form (maybe every 2 stars or the least 3) and biljons of biljons regulair minded animals. I think i've read somewhere there are 40 biljon stars which means at least of the least over 10 biljon inteligent lifeforms mostlikely even something like 30 biljon. I don't believe flying sources because its impossible even for the smartest life form existing (which mostlikely won't be human kind because as whe must remember whe are not existing that long at all) how in godssake can you not believe in aliens (which doesn't neccesairly have to mean intelligent life forms) if they chance that they don't exists is well i don't think the numbers would fit in anyway...

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 4:04 am

I've always believed. It would be foolish to not believe that life has developed many times over, throughout the universe. I don't really believe that aliens are visiting Earth, but who knows, they may have found ways to travel great distances by methods that we haven't dreamed of yet. Try to imagine what a race would be capable of if they were 1,000,000 years ahead of us. Also, it is possible that we've had visitors before, but, I suspect that the epidemic of the last 50 years or so, is directly related to military testing and such. :)

Those who know, don't speak.

RudolfsDad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2009, 9:22 am

The problem is that we know very little about what the necessary steps and preconditions are for life to form. Perhaps life is very common. Perhaps it requires some exceedingly rare combination of planetary conditions and chemical composition. There is just no way to know.

There is also the fact that we have no way of knowing how common it is for anything like a nervous system to evolve even if life does arise. Bacteria have been doing quite well on our planet for billions of years and they obviously have no nervous systems. Intelligence isn't necessary for life to succeed.

Even if intelligence arises, that is no guarantee that a technological civilization will arise. Consider dolphins -- however smart they may be, they just aren't going to be building any space ships for the obvious reason that they have no body parts that are useful for manipulating objects or using tools. Perhaps it is a staggeringly rare coincidence that, on earth, a group of animals that were good at manipulating objects happened to develop high intelligence (there are plenty of really stupid animals that can, nonetheless, pick up objects).

Even if a species arises that is very smart and very good at manipulating objects, there is probably no assurance that they will have the right kind of brain to develop anything like science. There are plenty of humans on earth now that have virtually no concept of scientific thinking. Finally, there is the frightful possibility that most technological civilizations -- even if they arise -- end up destroying themselves. Our species seems to be constantly learning ways to kill even more people and I see little indication that we are learning much about why we shouldn't be doing that.

I'm not saying that alien civilizations don't exist. I hope they do. I'm just saying that there is just too much that we don't know for any of us to be sure.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 9:52 am

I'm convinced I once found an alien egg on the school field, a few years ago. It was in some bushes and it was like a chicken egg but smaller and rounder, and it was covered in weird gooey foamy stuff.

I made the mistake of telling the teacher about the discovery, and she took it away and told us it was a gobstopper covered in shaving foam (yeah right, EVERYONE takes gobstoppers and covers them in shaving foam and hides them in the bushes).

It sounds crazy, but I reckon it was really from another planet.

y es como un semestre"

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 9:54 am

I believe there are aliens somewhere in the universe... The chances of us being the only ones in the entire universe seem pretty slim. Bbut every star does not represent a solar system. That implies that we only have one star in our solar system, which is untrue.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 10:40 am

I actually gave it some thought, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we were the only living beings in the universe, intelligent or otherwise.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 10:55 am

kalantir wrote:
I believe there are aliens somewhere in the universe... The chances of us being the only ones in the entire universe seem pretty slim. Bbut every star does not represent a solar system. That implies that we only have one star in our solar system, which is untrue.

what do you mean? That some solar systems have more then one sun? because that wouldn't make sense :?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:01 am

UndercoverAlien wrote:
I don't understand why there are people that don't believe that aliens exists...

Because there is no proof of their existance, and that any so-called "proof" is either fraudulent or easily interpreted as of terrestrial origins.

But I do believe in the possibility that extra-terrestrial alien life exists, but until I can shake hands (tentacles? pseudopods?) with such a being, I have no reason to believe.

kalantir wrote:
That implies that we only have one star in our solar system, which is untrue.

There is only one star in our solar system. A second star would have been found by now, due to perturbations of all planetary orbits, if not by merely seeing it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:25 am

kalantir, i see what you mean. The stars whe see aren't from our solar system they are biljons of lightyears away from us so they look like small sparkeling things while they're actually all suns from other solar system (weird isn't it) but because of the toxication of earth, it becomes harder to see the stars :( so imagine how many planets exists lol beyond limits...

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:31 am

I think it's presumptous for humans to believe with a certanty that we're the only 'intelligent' life in the universe. Anything's possible.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:45 am

I've always thought, maybe if there are aliens, maybe they are humans too, but born on a different planet. If humans started on Earth, who's to say they didn't start on other planets too?

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:56 am

mitharatowen wrote:
Anything's possible.

That summarizes my point of view on this issue.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:35 pm

for a humanoid alien to exist, the following must also exist, on a foreign planet

1. a continent that looks just like africa, with the exact same temperature and exact same vegetation.
2. the exact same botanic evolution as on earth.
3. the exact same climatic evolution as on earth.
4. mammals
5. the exact same animal evolution as on earth.
6. primates.

and so on.

i DO believe in alien life forms, but it stops there.

consider this: at one point, the earth was devoid of all life. the cell evolved on earth, from prokaryotic life forms.
prokaryotic and single celled life forms existed on earth for A BILLION YEARS without EVER evolving further to any significant level.
the nerve evolved on earth. the brain evolved on earth. hair and feathers evolved on earth.

how can we expect the EXACT same completely random accidents to occur exactly the same on another planet?

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:51 pm

Quote:
kalantir, i see what you mean. The stars whe see aren't from our solar system they are biljons of lightyears away from us so they look like small sparkeling things while they're actually all suns from other solar system (weird isn't it) but because of the toxication of earth, it becomes harder to see the stars Sad so imagine how many planets exists lol beyond limits...

Ok, I was wrong. I did some reading. There is only 1 known star in our solar system. This does not apply to every solar system in the universe however. The vast majority of star systems in the Universe are multiple star systems; either binary systems with two stars orbiting one another, or even more. Although, regardless, I see your point. The universe is a huge place.

ZEGH8578 wrote:
for a humanoid alien to exist, the following must also exist, on a foreign planet

1. a continent that looks just like africa, with the exact same temperature and exact same vegetation.
4. mammals
6. primates.

and so on.

consider this: at one point, the earth was devoid of all life. the cell evolved on earth, from prokaryotic life forms.
prokaryotic and single celled life forms existed on earth for A BILLION YEARS without EVER evolving further to any significant level.
the nerve evolved on earth. the brain evolved on earth. hair and feathers evolved on earth.

how can we expect the EXACT same completely random accidents to occur exactly the same on another planet?

What makes you so sure that a similar product can't come from an entirely different environment? Nobody ever said that it would have to be exactly the same either btw...

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:06 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
I'm convinced I once found an alien egg on the school field, a few years ago. It was in some bushes and it was like a chicken egg but smaller and rounder, and it was covered in weird gooey foamy stuff.

I made the mistake of telling the teacher about the discovery, and she took it away and told us it was a gobstopper covered in shaving foam (yeah right, EVERYONE takes gobstoppers and covers them in shaving foam and hides them in the bushes).

It sounds crazy, but I reckon it was really from another planet.

So your teacher could be undercover for the FBI? Maybe it was some kind of birds egg, that had been there a long time or had a small crack in and the stuff started foaming out.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:10 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:

4. mammals
6. primates.

and so on.

Humans are so limited in their imaginations. I've watched NOVA episodes before about searching for 'habitable' planets and they have all kinds of criteria that are based on observations of life on earth. Who's to say that life couldn't be completely different somewhere else? Why does it need to be carbon-based and need oxygen, water, and sunlight to survive?

I know you said humaniod so this comment is not particularly directed at you specifically, ZEGH8578