how can you even not believe in aliens...

Page 8 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

b9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:28 am

twoshots wrote:
One of the great advantages of standing on the shoulders of giants is that I can see further than other people.

if you have to climb on the backs of witted people to see your world, then you are no more than a an intellectual parasite. you may endorse but you may not contribute.

twoshots wrote:
There's no philosophy here. The Uncertainty Principle is cold, hard, math.

the only part of reality that can not be coldly and clinically calculated is the uncertainty about why well calculated expectations do not come exactly true in the fullness of time.

hackneyed "philosophical" ideations are the usual domain of conceited thinkers who must shamefully (in their mind) account for, and thus egotistically substitute later acquired meaning for their inability to find the truth initially through their own logic.

i certainly read external material, but i do most of my thinking inspired by my own observations, and i need not consult any other thinker to help me think my thoughts through.

to me it seems you you are the opposite, and have no thoughts of your own, and you simply trawl on the net, or climb up on the backs of other thinkers for ideas of how to argue your case. i am probably wrong as i am severely affected by my condition tonight and i almost think i need help.

whatever. sorry if i am wrong ok?

twoshots wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
Its probably better just to follow your heart and instincts and see where that gets you.

You know where that got people for approximately 200,000 years?
Nowhere.

so who had the first idea in history?
what was that idea inspired by? surely not a previous idea.
it was inspired by a need.
i bet if you were born into a world with no precedent of contemplation, that you would simply try to survive as they all did.
you underestimate the thinking power it takes to discover how to make fire. i do not think you would have discovered how to make fire if you were back there.

when fire making skills were discovered , the whole show took off as meat eating became extremely viable with our teeth, and peoples brains grew etc. i am not going to go into a tirade.

no discovery of any fundamental importance is simply an expression of another persons discovery.
i should not write on this forum tonight and i know i will regret it when i see it later but i am not worried at this minute.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:51 pm

just-me wrote:
twoshots wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
Its probably better just to follow your heart and instincts and see where that gets you.

You know where that got people for approximately 200,000 years?

Nowhere.

I disagree.
That's what man kind started out with and I would say we've come pretty far

Human technology and culture was pretty much flat prior to about 40,000 years ago. Scientific progress was nil until 4000 years ago, picking up with the creation of writing to permit the transfer of ideas so that people can build off of past ideas. It was fairly insignificant until about 1000 years ago, when the methodology and epistemology were finally established. In the past 200 years we've accomplished more than the entirety of the previous 200,000.

b9 wrote:
if you have to climb on the backs of witted people to see your world, then you are no more than a an intellectual parasite. you may endorse but you may not contribute.

A common misconception. As the saying goes, you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Quote:
the only part of reality that can not be coldly and clinically calculated is the uncertainty about why well calculated expectations do not come exactly true in the fullness of time.

hackneyed "philosophical" ideations are the usual domain of conceited thinkers who must shamefully (in their mind) account for, and thus egotistically substitute later acquired meaning for their inability to find the truth initially through their own logic.

i certainly read external material, but i do most of my thinking inspired by my own observations, and i need not consult any other thinker to help me think my thoughts through.

to me it seems you you are the opposite, and have no thoughts of your own, and you simply trawl on the net, or climb up on the backs of other thinkers for ideas of how to argue your case. i am probably wrong as i am severely affected by my condition tonight and i almost think i need help.

whatever. sorry if i am wrong ok?

First is that I did not mean to be aggressive towards you, just to point out precisely what the uncertainty principle is and why it is; the other comment was a general observation about the state of the knowledge of quantum mechanics in the world. The uncertainty principle arises naturally in the context of basic quantum mechanics and is not something which there is any controversy really left in it.

Second is that you do not know how or what I think.

Quote:
so who had the first idea in history?
what was that idea inspired by? surely not a previous idea.
it was inspired by a need.
i bet if you were born into a world with no precedent of contemplation, that you would simply try to survive as they all did.
you underestimate the thinking power it takes to discover how to make fire. i do not think you would have discovered how to make fire if you were back there.

when fire making skills were discovered , the whole show took off as meat eating became extremely viable with our teeth, and peoples brains grew etc. i am not going to go into a tirade.

Well, that's actually quite unlikely. While there is evidence of fire usage dating back to H. erectus, there have been tribes of modern humans up to today even who have lacked the ability to use anything other than the occasional wild fire. The first idea in the history of humanity as we know it would have been something more like the first Habilis to have realized that breaking rocks could furnish him with a useful tool. That provided those early hominids with something predictable, understandable, useful, and communicable.

Of course we would all be mediocre butt scratching hominids if we lived elsewhen, but the driving force of progress has hitherto been less spontaneous brilliance and more dumb chance. It is only through understanding and building upon previous work that we can attain what we are.

Quote:
no discovery of any fundamental importance is simply an expression of another persons discovery.
i should not write on this forum tonight and i know i will regret it when i see it later but i am not worried at this minute.

Science is comprised primarily of menial work. We can't all prove Fermat's last theorem, and that's one of the first things one needs to come to grips with.

Quote:
i was referring to territorial people who have the tool of google to tune their bugle.

I'm afraid you are entirely unfamiliar with my educational background, so please to not make assumptions about the degree to which I need rely on a search engine.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:34 pm

b9 wrote:
just-me wrote:
b9 wrote:
you and the previous 2 posters are pundits due to education that you can find in your search for information.

I don't think you were referring to me , if you are ,your mistaken.

no of i was not referring to you. i was referring to territorial people who have the tool of google to tune their bugle.
sorry i am not well today.

Well thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding for me.
I hope you feel better soon.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:35 pm

twoshots wrote:
^"the internet does physics"

lol that made me smile! :lol:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:54 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
OK then, what we're debating here is the probability of spontaneous generation. That is to say, inorganic compounds assembling themselves into organic life. Even bacteria have DNA, and what we're debating is the possibility of DNA being assembled by random chance.

That has been figured to be equal to a tornado going through a junkyard and leaving a perfect and fully operational 747 in it's wake.

DNA is complex enough that the first model produce bluegreen algae, then every other life form that ever existed. Besides that the algae terraformed producing oxygen which allowed later developments to survive.

The first universe was fairly simple, Hydrogen and gravity, and time. After 10,000,000,000 years it blew up. It was an all star universe, and only after the explosions did the elements to form DNA exist, and places cool enough that it could survive. That was 5,000,000,000 years ago.

As soon as the rocks cooled, there is DNA. Not some hunched over club carrying animal skin wearing model, but the very one we use today.

The complex coding of the four bases could not happen in a pit of steaming sulfer and mud, and no place existed where there were only the four bases.

Hence DNA is an Alien Invasion! They have invaded not just our planet, but every cell of our bodies!

Hence it is likely they whole universe was invaded five billion years ago.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 12:35 am

Inventor wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
OK then, what we're debating here is the probability of spontaneous generation. That is to say, inorganic compounds assembling themselves into organic life. Even bacteria have DNA, and what we're debating is the possibility of DNA being assembled by random chance.

That has been figured to be equal to a tornado going through a junkyard and leaving a perfect and fully operational 747 in it's wake.

DNA is complex enough that the first model produce bluegreen algae, then every other life form that ever existed. Besides that the algae terraformed producing oxygen which allowed later developments to survive.

The first universe was fairly simple, Hydrogen and gravity, and time. After 10,000,000,000 years it blew up. It was an all star universe, and only after the explosions did the elements to form DNA exist, and places cool enough that it could survive. That was 5,000,000,000 years ago.

As soon as the rocks cooled, there is DNA. Not some hunched over club carrying animal skin wearing model, but the very one we use today.

The complex coding of the four bases could not happen in a pit of steaming sulfer and mud, and no place existed where there were only the four bases.

Hence DNA is an Alien Invasion! They have invaded not just our planet, but every cell of our bodies!

Hence it is likely they whole universe was invaded five billion years ago.

well I think you've just made an argument I cannot beat.

It would be pretty hard to have DNA assemble without an environment suited to it.

So Prof_Pretorius and Inventor I must congratulate you on beating my argument.

I'll leave the thread saying this, I still believe in aliens. :P

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 12:41 am

I on the other hand have had first hand experience of them:
(edit:now i'm just plain confused. That was a pun, how did it violate photobucket's terms of use? :roll:)

Last edited by twoshots on 13 Mar 2009, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 2:21 am

twoshots wrote:
I on the other hand have had first hand experience of them:

:lol: :lmao: