Need ideas or help re: son's stim

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Gusmom2006
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Feb 2009, 10:22 am

Hello,

This is my first time posting, my 3 year old son was diagnosed with Asperger's about 3 weeks ago. His stim was the first thing that we noticed.

He often runs around and hums or makes noises, he also will hum and flap his arms a little while he's eating at the table. He does not do this at preschool, probably because they keep him engaged and stimulated. He also will wake up anytime between 2:30am and 5 am and jump and hum make noises very loudly, he may do it for 20 mins and go back to sleep, or like this morning, 3 hours! I have a 1 1/2 year old little girl and she often hears this and wakes up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help him get back to sleep? This has been going on for about a year. An OT suggested a weighted blanket, I haven't tried it yet. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I was thrilled when I found this site, it is nice to have a place where I can ask questions!

Thank you!!

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 10:25 am

Welcome to WP!

You are a good mom to look and try to help your child! :-)

Sleep issues can be very difficult for autistic people. Some of us have used Melotonin. A weighted blanket may help, too.

I would avoid medication. That can get addictive and then stop working. Then you will k know the meaning of hell.

Just be very careful and don't take any advice without the help of a Dr that knows about autism! I hired a natural practitioner that help me very much. That might be an option.

GOod luck to you and I hope a lot of people wil answer.

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2009, 1:00 pm

i don't know if this will work, but you could try to redirect (change) the stim to something less noticeable and quieter. for example, and i failed due to lack of time, i had a student years ago, who would clasp his hands together and use them like a hammer to beat himself on the forehead. over and over. for hours. he was 11 or 12 years old. when i was with him, i tried to redirect that movement to using his thighs/knees like drums and using open hands on each knee to "beat" like a neurotypical might do while listening to some good music. i only worked with this student for a month or so, so i failed but you might want to try to teach him an alternate stim that is more "normal."
i hope that doesn't sound horrible. good luck.

DomesticAdvocate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2009, 6:43 pm

especially when he is bored or trying to concentrate. My son had nightmares at that age, could he be waking up from that? At night, I had a television and a remote with recorded videos for him to watch when he woke up. At the age of 2 he could work it well. What I found helpful for calming him at that age during the day was a play tent. He would go in and out of it and he had a blast and seemed to calm himself that way during the day. Physical activity seems to help it too. He has problems running so now I have him walk the dog or help me shop vac the car (he likes that because the world seems quiet to him when it is on.)

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2009, 5:25 am

Welcome to WP. I would say experiment and find out what he responds to the best. Trampolines can be good for AS kids - helps them get their energy out in a stimming kind of way. My son loves a swing as well. If they get that sort of calming exercise during the day, often it will mean they don't need it at other times.

When my child can't sleep, I often find that massage works, or sometimes I will just put the light on for ten minutes and let him read. Try and have a "calming" pre-bed ritual. They say that it's not good to be watching TV or computers just before going to bed. I try and get my son to look at/read books, or sometimes he draws before bed.

Another idea could be having a sticker chart for sleeping through the night.

Corsarzs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2009, 9:35 am

3 years old? I would guess he still takes naps during the day? You might try cutting them out or shortening their length. A soothing bath before bedtime might help also, water play often relaxes an active child. you might consider making his bedtime later too. The massage is a good idea, our 12 yo Aspie son still asks to have his back rubbed some nights when he has difficulties falling asleep. Aspies often have sensory issues, Z cannot sleep with a sheet over him but will snuggle down with a very soft blanket or comforter without a problem. Changing his sleepware might help Z would take a shirt off before age two and will not wear a shirt to bed even on extremely cold nights.

Does the child have nightmares or Night Terrors? If so you may need to consult his Pediatrician. Z does suffer from Night Terrors but let's save that discussion for later.

These are just some suggestions. Kids, all kids, this age are still unknown variables that can often be solved only by trial and error. If it works stick with it, if not try something else.

Gusmom2006
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Feb 2009, 10:42 am

Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate the warm welcome and support. I will try the weighted blanket and am thinking about some other things. He does not have a nap during the day, I took that away when he first started doing this and it worked for a while. He still does not nap, if he has a nap he won't even fall asleep until 11pm. Without a nap at least he falls right asleep when he goes down for the night.

Thanks again for your support!!

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 5:32 pm

MELATONIN!! ! Our lifeline!! Check it out, if you are in the USA you can buy it over the counter, but as she is three I would personally take advice.......................in the UK, it is restricted to prescription from a Child Psychiatrist or Paediatrician.....groan.

It is natural and many studies have shown that children on the spectrum do have lower levels of melatonin and need supplementation. It is NOT a HYPNOTIC OR A DRUG. It is classified as a food and can be found in the body naturally.

Good luck, try this link, it will lead you to loads of studies that you may find interesting! Nooo we are not DRUGGING our children, or at least I am NOT drugging MINE, simply giving them the ability to sleep and rest so they can cope better at school and at home.

http://www.worldhealth.net/news/use_of_ ... n_children