Wet clothes... Swimming... Is this a problem for you or not?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

venuseagle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2009, 4:49 pm

How well do you cope with swimming and wearing wet clothing? My husband doesn't cope very well with going to the swimming pool. It isn't the swimming that is the problem, but the feeling of wearing wet trunks. In particular he finds the changing process afterwards to be very uncomfortable and can't wait to get dried off and out of those wet trunks. He dreads that wet feeling. My son who is also on the spectrum seems to cope OK with visits to the swimming pool, however he finds it very difficult to cope if his sleeves or or other parts of clothing get even slightly damp.

So, my question to you is... how well do you cope in wet or damp clothing, and how well do you cope in the swimming pool?

Venus

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 5:04 pm

Noooooo I don't like wet clothing at all!! ! Women's swimsuits are a bit different because they don't have extra material that sticks to you. But I totally understand how you could hate wet trunks!

I also can't stand wet socks for a bit different reason but still a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Buka
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2009, 5:18 pm

HATE the feeling of wet clothes. Just like the feeling of being dirty, the moment I stop swimming, I MUST change soon - not only because of the pressure and weight of wet clothes, but also the dripping and tickling of my skin - it itches bad! And I also hate the process of getting out of wet clothes. They cling to me so strongly and are so heavy, that I literally feel like I have to fight my way out and I find that frustrating and suffocating.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 5:20 pm

It doesn't really bother me, at least not to the degree I think you are talking about - I mean I suppose I don't like walking around in wet clothing very much, but I don't think NT people do either. How does your husband cope with showering or bathing then? Does he dislike having a damp towel wrapped around his body when he gets out?

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 5:27 pm

I hate wearing wet clothing. When I learned that cotton has a natural property of holding onto water (making it difficult to dry), I immediately started phazing out all of my clothes that were made of cotton. Polyester and acrylic are some of the fastest-drying clothing materials available, expecially the coolmax varient of polyester.

When I finish a swim-session (or get wet in any other way), I cope with it exactly the same way that your husband does - dry off as quickly as possible. If I happen to get my sleeve wet doing some everyday task - such as while working at a sink - I put on a acrylic sweater to keep my arm warm while the shirt dries off naturally.

venuseagle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2009, 5:29 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
How does your husband cope with showering or bathing then? Does he dislike having a damp towel wrapped around his body when he gets out?

He doesn't mind the showering or bathing process because he's not wearing wet clothing, but to address your comment he says he would hate using a damp towel! And his worst nightmare is walking around in wet trunks, when swimming he keeps IN the water as much as possible, but when swimming time is over he makes his way to the changing room to get into dry clothes as quickly as possible as he finds the whole changing thing very uncomfortable due to the wet trunks.

Venus

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 5:45 pm

I don't mind wearing wet swimming clothes as I'm usually in the pool then so it's not a problem. If I'm wearing wet clothes and I'm not swimming, it's a horrible feeling.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 5:50 pm

am unable to cope with swimming due to very severe sensory problems,it's about the water on skin rather than wet clothing,the same goes for things like regular washing-use baby wipes and not water.

what would he think about using a wetsuit for swimming? the national autistic society have thought about getting am one to be able to go swimming in a private pool.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 5:53 pm

Venuseagle, You're not *concerned* about the fact that your husband doesn't want to sit around in wet clothes, are you? To me, that would be like a person's concern about my dislike of getting burned by a flame.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 6:17 pm

I wear shorts in the pool.
The problem I have is with shirts. I'm a little chunky and embarrassed to show off my stomach but I don't like how heavy a wet t-shirt feels. And I don't own any t-shirts I want to get wet in a pool.

And I mentioned the pool, right? I only go swimming in pools. I simply cannot take the beach. I don't like sand, I don't like salt water, I don't like a huge amount of people (I live in Newport, RI. We have four beaches. On a good summer day, these are all filled with tourists who are very nasty to us locals - who are nasty to them back for this reason) and I fry in the sun. The nice, air conditioned, indoor pool at the YMCA in Middletown is fine enough for me.

venuseagle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2009, 7:22 pm

Flismflop wrote:
Venuseagle, You're not *concerned* about the fact that your husband doesn't want to sit around in wet clothes, are you?

No. I have more sensory issues than he. But, with my husband having had a recent diagnosis of type 2 diabetes and being told to lose a substantial amount of weight and get regular exercise, he would like to swim more but the sensory issues hold him back somewhat. Does this make sense?

Venus

venuseagle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2009, 7:24 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
what would he think about using a wetsuit for swimming?

Don't know, this is a good point, thanks I will ask him tomorrow.

Venus

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 7:24 pm

depends on the situation. Wet, cold clothes are a definite turnoff. Just have a set of dry clothes, a dry towel, and a place to change (Hitchhikers always say you should carry a towel...;)

ARandomPerson
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2009, 7:31 pm

venuseagle wrote:
How well do you cope with swimming and wearing wet clothing? My husband doesn't cope very well with going to the swimming pool. It isn't the swimming that is the problem, but the feeling of wearing wet trunks. In particular he finds the changing process afterwards to be very uncomfortable and can't wait to get dried off and out of those wet trunks. He dreads that wet feeling. My son who is also on the spectrum seems to cope OK with visits to the swimming pool, however he finds it very difficult to cope if his sleeves or or other parts of clothing get even slightly damp.

So, my question to you is... how well do you cope in wet or damp clothing, and how well do you cope in the swimming pool?

Venus

well, i am a lifeguard so i have to cope :) i don't mind it at all

a one-on-one lesson i had with a lower functioning kid, he was hypersensitive to touch, he would rip off his clothing mid lesson and keep mumbling "take it all off".

ARandomPerson
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2009, 7:40 pm

venuseagle wrote:

Venus

well, i am a lifeguard so i have to cope :) i don't mind it at all

a one-on-one lesson i had with a lower functioning kid, he was hypersensitive to touch, he would rip off his clothing mid lesson and keep mumbling "take it all off".

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 7:55 pm

If worse comes to worse, there are nude beaches.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude