Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fort56
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2009, 6:38 pm

Will it be possible to record smells, like we can do now with sounds and pictures?

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2009, 6:53 pm

Smell is dependent upon two things, the size of the atom being smelled and its inherent vibration (specifics of that component go down the road of quantum mechanics ; perhaps someone better versed then me can expand on this summary). This is a hard thing to measure, much less record, however devices do exist that can smell for specific things (like bomb detectors at air ports). They are unable to accurately smell things that they were not designed to, though, and there is a wide array of overlap of common chemicals that, to these machines, smell nearly identical.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 7:08 pm

Fort56 wrote:
Will it be possible to record smells, like we can do now with sounds and pictures?

What would be the recording medium? Smell is not electromagnetic radiation. A smell perception could be brought about by more than one chemical (there are artificial flavors and odors). Smell is a perception. How does one record a perception? We record descriptions of perceptions. We can record something like A smell like object B, but that is not a smell. It is a description of a smell.

ruveyn

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2009, 7:32 pm

Yes, in the form of neural mapping.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 110525.htm

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 8:11 pm

pi_woman wrote:
Yes, in the form of neural mapping.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 110525.htm

And how does this get recorded and in what manner?

ruveyn

Fort56
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2009, 8:20 pm

There's something related to this. The idea of smellovision.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2009, 5:46 am

smellovision is vaporwear, don't hold your breath.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Feb 2009, 3:27 pm

The only reliable method I can think of for storing a scent is to use activated charcoal in a sealed container.
This is often employed by CSIs for detecting chemical residues from arsons or bombings.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 6:44 pm

richie wrote:
The only reliable method I can think of for storing a scent is to use activated charcoal in a sealed container.
This is often employed by CSIs for detecting chemical residues from arsons or bombings.

The scent is the perception caused by the substance. Activated charcoal stores the substance, but not the perception.

ruveyn

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 7:08 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Fort56 wrote:

What would be the recording medium? Smell is not electromagnetic radiation. A smell perception could be brought about by more than one chemical (there are artificial flavors and odors). Smell is a perception. How does one record a perception? We record descriptions of perceptions. We can record something like A smell like object B, but that is not a smell. It is a description of a smell.

ruveyn

Same as Jpgs. Not photons, but a description of a picture.

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 3:17 am

Ok now, me i'm no scientist but i do know that: Yes! we can record smells by useing tech (We do have, No myth) to copy the atoms in the air and reprint those to recreate that smell. Like I said i'm no scientist that's like super basic,

Oh. and because alot of people have been wanting to talk to me and stuff about science and all thought i know alot i am only 12 you can E-mail me and all, but i think i sould just say that on every one of my posts...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 6:08 pm

Blake_be_cool wrote:
Ok now, me i'm no scientist but i do know that: Yes! we can record smells by useing tech (We do have, No myth) to copy the atoms in the air and reprint those to recreate that smell. Like I said i'm no scientist that's like super basic,

Atoms cannot be made up out of thin air. One does not reprint atoms. One fissions atoms, one fuses atoms but one does not reprint atoms.

Every atom in your body was cooked up in a supervova.

ruveyn

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 6:33 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Blake_be_cool wrote:

Atoms cannot be made up out of thin air. One does not reprint atoms. One fissions atoms, one fuses atoms but one does not reprint atoms.

ruveyn

What about some of the first atoms, like hydrogen, we may have some of those orginals around?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 8:07 pm

Mass spectromiter used to dectet gasses compentents and levels...store the data into memory...smell has been recorded

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 8:25 pm

Eggman wrote:
Mass spectromiter used to dectet gasses compentents and levels...store the data into memory...smell has been recorded

Can it be "played back" (so to speak)?

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 8:26 pm

Eggman wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Blake_be_cool wrote:

ruveyn

What about some of the first atoms, like hydrogen, we may have some of those orginals around?

That is true. Any atom heavier than lithium was cooked in a star.

ruveyn