I don't think I can do school and a job at the same time

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 1:07 am

I'm worrying because when I go to University, I don't think I'll be able to have a job at the same time. My school's all paid for and I'll get like $1000 a month or something like that, so get a job isn't necessary in that regard. But I'm worried that when I go out to the workforce, I won't have the work experience that everybody else will have and I don't know if I'll be able to get a job. Advice?

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 3:02 am

ebec11, you're lucky that you can afford not to work while attending university. I wouldn't worry too much how your resume might look to future employers.

If you really want to have a bit of work history, try looking for summer jobs only. If there is an amusement park near your home, try working there. It's seasonal work and companies actually like this arrangement as they don't have to offer more than minimum (or slightly above minimum) wage to their employees... no benefits or anything else.

If you don't feel comfortable working at all the entire time you're attending college, even on breaks, I'd suggest just doing really really well in your courses, get excellent grades, and aim for a distinction in your degree and on your diploma. If you get questioned by a future employer if you have a work background, say no as you wanted to excel in your studies and didn't want distractions or temptations of tasting what it's like to make money and dropping out of school to pursue full-time work. (The latter happens in a lot of cases.)

When they see how well you did in college, then they'll see a good reason for you not to have worked.

Good luck.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2009, 6:18 am

Some universities support a year in the industry as part of the course, I'm going to have a paid software development job between my 3rd and 4th years of university. Perhaps your university offers the same?

11krage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2009, 6:51 am

I'm the same, university just feels too important. Working just seemed way to stressful to juggle with university at the same time. I'm not sure what the outcome will be on my employment. My mum says that if they bring it up, just to say that I prefer to work one thing at a time, then to possibly bring up my diagnosis as explanation. Not sure how well it'll work just yet as I'm still in my final year. Though the fact that I'm looking to be able to finish my dissertation an estimated two or so months before the deadline, and and have finished all but one essay due in later this year makes me comfertable with my decision.

http://the-quiet-ones.blogspot.com/

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2009, 7:17 am

don't worry about that. most jobs students do, like serving in restaurants or filling shelves in supermarkets, are of no use later on. nobody asks about that kind of job when you apply for 'real' work in the profession you will study.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 7:22 am

Use your saved time to climb the universitity societies. Alternatively, work / get an internship in the vacations instead.

ARandomPerson
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2009, 8:31 am

ebec11 wrote:
I'm worrying because when I go to University, I don't think I'll be able to have a job at the same time. My school's all paid for and I'll get like $1000 a month or something like that, so get a job isn't necessary in that regard. But I'm worried that when I go out to the workforce, I won't have the work experience that everybody else will have and I don't know if I'll be able to get a job. Advice?

I do not fear that at all myself, I can adjust either depending on need, i can take less hours at work or less courses at school, depending on finances. and with canadian social assistence i don't even HAVE to work to get myself through university (i will even have enough for recreation and savings if i go the comunity collage route) i do it because i WANT to work. it's what i love doing, it gives me emotional security to feel that i am making an impact on society and that i am needed for that period of time.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 7:27 pm

Thank you everybody for the advice :D
This also depends on if my father (who is court ordered to pay 70% of my University because he refused to help out despite him being rich and us for years struggling to make the rent.) is still alive, because if he dies on me before or during my University, I would be forced to work. He's only 50 something, so he should be fine. Not that I care much otherwise, he's done nothing but try to manipulate and hurt me.
Change of subject is due...
I don't know about summer jobs. Will they try to pressure me to keep the job during the school year? Because I couldn't do it, even if it was only weekends. I struggled to get my required volunteer hours, and that was only every second weekend. And university should be harder then high school, right?