Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:22 pm

The fire alarm went off today at work.It was a false alarm but the sound of it almost hurt my ears and I was unable to focus on my work.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2009, 3:39 pm

i do not like to be around a lot of noise

i do not go to sports games or music concerts because of the noise and the fact of too many people and doctors like to push the idea that since i do not go to these things that i can only be depressed

i think doctors should consider the fact that a person is able to simply not like to be around a large number of people and that much noise and not be depressed and actually listen to what i think and not tell me why i do not want to do certain things

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 3:56 pm

Hovis wrote:
Can noise sensitivity worsen with age? I don't remember having any notable problems with noise as a child, but I am very intolerant now. Although it's definitely type of noise as opposed to volume of noise that bothers me. Some quite loud noises such as storms or traffic are of no issue to me, but a noise such as just barely being able to hear someone else's TV is absolutely intolerable.

I notice this happening to me, too. I was pretty much indifferent to noises as a child, basically being "locked" into my own world... but now I'm EXTREMELY aware of the outside world and go batshit insane at every little thing.

My dad has this stim where he clears his throat every twenty goddamned seconds and he's doing it right now about five feet away from me and I'm ready to stab him.

I have to have my ipod on all the time.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 4:38 am

jamieg wrote:
i do not go to sports games or music concerts because of the noise and the fact of too many people and doctors like to push the idea that since i do not go to these things that i can only be depressed

i think doctors should consider the fact that a person is able to simply not like to be around a large number of people and that much noise and not be depressed and actually listen to what i think and not tell me why i do not want to do certain things

This sort of response from doctors (or, indeed, anyone) makes me angry - the idea that if someone does not like doing something which has been deemed to be A FUN THING TO DO, there must be something wrong with them. E.g., if you don't like concerts because of the crowds and noise, you need help overcoming your 'social anxiety disorder'. If you don't like to be constantly socializing and going to parties, you must be withdrawn because you are suffering from depression. :x

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jul 2009, 7:59 pm

Rock music, especially when it's loud or very percussive. When the percussion is fast and unvarying, it is particularly bad. I was recently at an outdoor party when the last happened and walked as far away as I could behind the speakers.

Fuzzy and otherwise distorted guitars: they sound unnatural. Classical instruments always sound like something in nature. :)

I can tolerate crying babies except when they get a certain deeper tone, usually when they are particularly distressed. I have to get away.

Power saws. Enough said.