Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

OmegaZero
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2009, 5:57 pm

Hello everyone! I finally decided to post something that's been bothering me for a while.

I've been working at the same retail store for almost 4 years now (since being diagnosed with AS) and it hasn't been until recently that I've been noticing how exhausted I get at work. I'm in customer service so all day I'm interacting with people, all while bright lights and noises from every direction, the end result is me feeling stressed and tired.

To make a long story short I'll skip to the point, I want to know what I should do! I don't like coming home and feeling like crap and I don't even get paid very well either. With the way the US economy is in right now I feel I'm going to be trapped at this place until I can graduate and get into Graphic Design.

In the meantime can anyone offer some advice? Thanks in advance!!

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 6:45 pm

Work tiring, people tiring. Getting out of a less customer service oriented job will just make you feel like you'd rather be dealing with people rather than working. Getting out of a job that deals with people would probably make you feel like you want to get out cause your lonely. The only small sentiment i can offer is to say find a job where the work stays at work and doesn't follow you home. That trait in a job is undeniably valuable.

DeathByChocolate
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2009, 6:57 pm

I get pretty tired at work too, yet all I do is sit at a desk! The people who have the most energy are the ones who exercise in their lunch hour, who eat healthy foods (lots of fruit and veg), who drink plenty of water and don't drink too much coffee. Try some of those things first to see if they help lift the tiredness!

OmegaZero
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2009, 8:58 pm

Nim wrote:
Work tiring, people tiring. Getting out of a less customer service oriented job will just make you feel like you'd rather be dealing with people rather than working. Getting out of a job that deals with people would probably make you feel like you want to get out cause your lonely. The only small sentiment i can offer is to say find a job where the work stays at work and doesn't follow you home. That trait in a job is undeniably valuable.

To be honest I wouldn't feel too lonely, I think. I just can't seem to deal with people all day

hayleylovesyou
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2009, 6:10 pm

You're not necessarily screwed. I've worked customer service jobs my whole life without knowing that it was different and harder for me than everyone else. I even found out that they kept me on, even though I'm weird and awkward with most people, because I excel and connect with the "different" customers who came in the store. Since we were a creative computer company (and they have a high tolerence for differences) it worked out fine. I quit because I found a job in my field (journalism/electronic media) but was laid off as soon as I started for the weakening economy.

But don't quit your job right now, at least not until you've secured another one with a company that appears stable (ask questions about the company to sound interested as well as how this open position came about). There is nothing out there, and what is open is flooded with so many applicants that Aspergers traits are more easily discriminated against and dismissed when the entire pool is overqualified for the job they are applying for. I wish to god I could get that CS job back.

Its horrible out there right now. Killer or not, be greatful you have a job and on the hard days just tell yourself "its not forever".

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 8:43 pm

Personal experience is all, I'd rather work quietly, but sometimes I wish I could just be serving a pizza to a customer. Mostly because of the girl co-workers tho...

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 7:59 am

First thought....I don't know if this is common for all people (or most all) with AS, but do you suffer from "wanderlust." That's the urge to pack up everything and move on after every 4-6 years. If so, I suspect many people with AS struggle to not give in to the impulse to make a fresh start once they grow "bored" with the same routine day after day...year after year.

I've known that my whole life. I don't literally pack up and move every 5th year, but I find that when I manage to be someplace for any length of time, after a few years, I just feel the need to get out and go someplace else. Right now, with the economy, I'm resisting that urge because I know there is no assurance I'd even find a job where I want to go, but I suspect if I got up and moved, I'd feel the urge to do it again in about 5 years.

No matter how methodical my daily life becomes...or how comfortable I've been in my routine, every 4-5 years I get bored with the whole deal and feel an urge to do something new.

raycmy
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2009, 10:20 am

zer0netgain wrote:
First thought....I don't know if this is common for all people (or most all) with AS, but do you suffer from "wanderlust." That's the urge to pack up everything and move on after every 4-6 years. If so, I suspect many people with AS struggle to not give in to the impulse to make a fresh start once they grow "bored" with the same routine day after day...year after year.

I've known that my whole life. I don't literally pack up and move every 5th year, but I find that when I manage to be someplace for any length of time, after a few years, I just feel the need to get out and go someplace else. Right now, with the economy, I'm resisting that urge because I know there is no assurance I'd even find a job where I want to go, but I suspect if I got up and moved, I'd feel the urge to do it again in about 5 years.

No matter how methodical my daily life becomes...or how comfortable I've been in my routine, every 4-5 years I get bored with the whole deal and feel an urge to do something new.

I have the same problem as you do. And it has bothered me for a long time since I noticed it. Now I will finish my college life soon. And i dont know what kind of job I should do.Because I doubt that if there is a career I can even get some achievement.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 11:43 am

raycmy wrote:
I have the same problem as you do. And it has bothered me for a long time since I noticed it. Now I will finish my college life soon. And i dont know what kind of job I should do.Because I doubt that if there is a career I can even get some achievement.

Don't sweat about it too much. I focused on just trying to find a job with the way the economy went in the can after 9/11. It's not as bad as it used to be. Most NTs change jobs just for the pay raise (they get more from changing jobs than waiting for their current boss to give them a raise). The idea of staying 20 years with one employer is history...most NTs don't even stay at a job 5 years before changing for one reason or another.

raycmy
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2009, 12:43 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
raycmy wrote:

Don't sweat about it too much. I focused on just trying to find a job with the way the economy went in the can after 9/11. It's not as bad as it used to be. Most NTs change jobs just for the pay raise (they get more from changing jobs than waiting for their current boss to give them a raise). The idea of staying 20 years with one employer is history...most NTs don't even stay at a job 5 years before changing for one reason or another.

Thank you. What I really worry about is that I couldn’t stick on something for more than 4 years. Things like this happened two or three times in my lifetime. It takes a lot to get me qualified for something I used to like. But it turns out to be I just ran from it. What I have done really hurts my family. While now I know myself better and think I can do better,too. Thanks again.

rivergoat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Mar 2009, 11:36 am

Try getting some lightly-shaded glasses. This is easier if you already wear prescription lenses, but if you don't, get shades that have a very light tint to them. Usually you can get away with that at work, if they look like prescription lenses.

Just a thought...

}:)~

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2009, 6:29 pm

zer0netgain wrote:

I'm only in high school and I feel that way all the time TBH.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 7:16 pm

OmegaZero wrote:
Hello everyone! I finally decided to post something that's been bothering me for a while.

I've been working at the same retail store for almost 4 years now (since being diagnosed with AS) and it hasn't been until recently that I've been noticing how exhausted I get at work. I'm in customer service so all day I'm interacting with people, all while bright lights and noises from every direction, the end result is me feeling stressed and tired.

To make a long story short I'll skip to the point, I want to know what I should do! I don't like coming home and feeling like crap and I don't even get paid very well either. With the way the US economy is in right now I feel I'm going to be trapped at this place until I can graduate and get into Graphic Design.

In the meantime can anyone offer some advice? Thanks in advance!!

Be Proud of your JOB! OmegaZero is the man - he works all day in bright lights and interacts with people. That is something to be proud of and you've been doing for four years no less. Keep it up. This is America and you are a hard working American man. Just remember that there is No Shame In Your Game and that your should always Drop Down Your Bucket and make whatever little money you can make.

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

12 Apr 2009, 1:30 pm

I get tired serving people bread, bagging it, slicing it and making sandwiches. Just don't like it when there are lots of people to serve and when there aren't many I try to leave it so someone else does it but to me they always seem to make me do it. I love making sandwiches at the beginning of the day cos I get to eat the chopped off top crusts even if they're quite small and I don't have to talk to strange people.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 2:05 pm

It is nice that you are able to do a job like that in the first place. Interacting with people can be really tiresome.

At my job I changed desks to have the lights shine in a better manner on my desk and myself. (it is also a desk where people do not walk by that easily). Maybe there are different places to choose from?

Another thing could be to tell your boss that you would like to broaden your skills. You could use that question for asking certain tasks that have less interaction with people; like compiling reports or work methods. That way you have a few hours per week relative rest.

But the most important thing is that you are doing your job well. Be proud that you have a job and you can earn some money for yourself.