Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 9:23 pm

The problem with computers is that the more powerful they become, the more the software takes advantage of nearly everything. This problem makes it seem as though todays's computers are no faster than those of 10-15 years ago.

The best OS is a DOS Command Line Interface. Simple and reliable.

Vista is unreliable, and a memory hog. Why does it use NTFS? Anybody know how old NTFS is? I don't see why Vista needs so much memory. Why the need to make everything look "attractive" on the desktop? People will not be on the desktop all day and tend to ignore these as they work on other stuff

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 10:23 pm

Keith wrote:
Work this out...
Windows 5.0 = Windows 2000
Windows 5.1 = Windows XP
Windows 5.2 = Windows XP x64(not many people know this)
Windows 6.0 = Windows Vista
Windows 6.1 = Windows 7/Seven

I will NEVER call the next version of Windows " 7 " unless it has the version number of 7, and not a build number. I will call it Seven ( full name in letters rather than a number )

I am endlessly amused at your rigidness regarding this. What would you do if the version after "seven" was version 9.0? The choice to increment the numbering scheme is purely arbitrary after all. Would it bug you if there was no windows eight?

That being said, there are a number of things that I am equally rigid about. I am not scorning your opinion, I just find it amusing.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 12:06 am

This was done before...
From Windows 3.11 to Windows 95. I presume many people wondered what happened to 4 through 94 ;)

I point out the Windows Seven 6.1 conundrum as it will be confusing at one point in the future. Going somewhere into the depths of the registry to find Windows Seven with a version number of 6.1.
Of course, Windows Seven (6.1) will be built on the same foundations as Vista, hence the 0.1 addition. To give it a whole new number implies that it is NEW from the ground up

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 8:27 pm

I always thought the limitation was a function of how many data and address lines the chip could support. The number of bits it can handle at a given time determines the amount of memory it can address.

32-bit only can do so much. 64 bit can do much more...;)

BTW...where does DOS 6.2 go? I definitely remember that...;) One of the first DOS systems that allowed for menus in batch files (that I remember. it's been about 12 years...;)