Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

23 Feb 2009, 6:49 pm

My mother told me on the phone telling someone "I don't know what world/planet you come from..." is an insult, a put down.

I don't understand and my mother couldn't even explain it she said. I said it to my bf this morning because he wouldn't leave me alone when I had another meltdown this morning. So I told him I don't know what world he comes from when people don't need to be left alone when they are upset but the world I come from, we left each other alone when we be upset.

We all have our own worlds. My ex came from a world of stupidity because all his friends were stupid so he thought that's the way the world worked.

But my mother told me I'm the one who comes from a different planet and I told her "to me other people come from another world. We all do."

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 6:52 pm

Usually, when people say this they mean to insinuate that the other person is weird or crazy and most people don't like to be called different ect. It makes sense the way you explain it but that isn't the way the phrase is usually used.

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 8:40 pm

I don't see the insult either - it's just a nice way of saying you are different from one another, and feel and think different.

But maybe non-asbergers see it as an insult - I dont know (shrug).

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 8:41 pm

^ Exactly.
People don't like to be different.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 9:03 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
My mother told me on the phone telling someone "I don't know what world/planet you come from..." is an insult, a put down.

It depends on the way she said it.

Whiteline
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2009, 9:14 pm

It may also be that her mother just blurted out what she felt without thinking too much about the exact definition. Highly emotional people have a tendency to do that.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 5:04 am

I think you're right. That doesn't seem like an insult to me at all, & I'm really sensitive to things like that. If someone said that to me, I doubt it would even bother me.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2009, 5:09 am

Ever heard of perception?

If I point to a dog, and you see a cat.. Who is right?

Ever heard of intent?

If I call you something nice, and you feel insulted, did I insult you?

Sometimes things can be many things at once. More than just the world is in color, ideas are too.

vint
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2009, 5:44 am

mitharatowen wrote:
^ Exactly.

What do you know about people? Let me educate you: people do like to be different. BUT only in a good way.

Nephesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2009, 2:53 pm

vint wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
^ Exactly.

What do you know about people? Let me educate you: people do like to be different. BUT only in a good way.

We see this in "fashion" cycles as well. It will go through phases. If the "different" look is to pull your underwear up to your stomach and wear your oversized jeans half-falling off, then "everyone" will do that just to show that they are "different". It depends on who you are as to whether that type of mindless following of the sheeple is "a good way" or not.

To me it doesn't make much sense to claim that you are truly "different" if you are dressing just like all the others of your age group.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 3:01 pm

If people liked to be different.. why would the word weird be considered an insult? Why would trends even exist? Why would people have such problems with 'not fitting in' and not being able to find a place where they 'belong?'

I've been called strange all my life and everyone was always surprised when I accepted it as a compliment.

:shrug:

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 3:28 pm

I think that the context in which you used this phrase was not insulting at all. You weren´t being negative or derogatory, you were just trying to explain what you needed at the time. I don´t think there´s anything to worry about.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 4:54 pm

Funny I was always told I was in my OWN world. Rather than another world.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 5:48 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Usually, when people say this they mean to insinuate that the other person is weird or crazy and most people don't like to be called different ect. It makes sense the way you explain it but that isn't the way the phrase is usually used.

I agree with this.

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2009, 10:45 am

Many sayings and phrases people used aren't meant literally, and quite often bear little relation to the reality of the situation. A common saying in the UK when relating a past conversation to someone is "I turned round to him/her, and I said...". At the time, both people were probably facing each other, and nobody turned around, but still the saying is used, quite often repeatedly in the same story.

"I don't know what planet you're from" is usually used to back up a perceived "right" way of doing something. For example, "I don't know what planet you come from, but where I'm from, everybody holds their fork in their left hand while eating". It's used to suggest that any other way of doing a thing is alien and wrong.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 12:40 pm

I think it's just one of those phrases that sounds insulting. Some think it means calling someone weird or different though.

SpongeBobRocksMao!