family making fun of myself and disabled people

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 10:47 am

iamspecial300 wrote:
my family thinks its funny to make fun of me like saying hurtful things like tard or stupid they also make fun of other people that are disabled truly like physical or mental

this verbal and emotional abuse. it is not your fault. your family is abusive.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 10:54 am

BPalmer wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
when I hear people laugh at the idea of 'politically correct' I just sigh, because I know what it was like before political correctness

Things were a lot better before political correctness: There was a lot more decency, instead all the namby-pamby, bleeding-heart muck which has destroyed society now.

sinsboldly wrote:
I met people with mental retardation and stopped calling them "morons", I met Chinese, no longer 'chinks' and Vietnamese were no longer 'gooks'.

I dislike those terms too, as Asians are OK. In Asia, that is. They should not be allowed to invade our country, as they've been doing for the last twenty years. I am sick and tired of seeing them doing unskilled work at the shopping centre down the road, when I have had my working hours drastically reduced. And I have had a gutsful of waiting in the heat for buses which are ten minutes late, whilst some African "refugee" zooms past in a late-model car.

So you can understand that I hate political correctness with a passion. Why should "n****r" be reduced to "the N-word"? It's not a swear word! People get away with calling me "psycho", "ret*d" and "schizo", and no-one refers to those as "P-word" etc, do they? Tell you what, everyone who looks obviously foreign, or ret*d, gets cut a hell of a lot of slack.

Umm... What?...

First off there are some circumstances where political correctness has gone to far. But being a racist is never acceptable... And that is clearly what the second half of your post shows. I have less of a problem with asians than I do with people who tarnish the term black by making them all seem like gangster a** sh***, because that is not what they are. Yet you have whiggers going and trying to be "black" when really they just want to be uncivilised mobsters, along with the few blacks that popularized the gangster image, which is not what most blacks are. Most blacks are very civilized. And arabs are not out to blow up your local hospital, most of them are very civilized and live by a strict code of conduct.

If you want to hate a group, there is the scientologists for that, adn conspiracy theorists, and racists, and other people who make this world less desirable to live in... Go hate the people that do wrong to others, not an entire group of which less than 1% are actually causing a problem, but rather hate the group that is actually causing the problem, plus you may become a less miserable person if you hate less people... Screw that though, I don't even hate the people, I just hate the problems they are causing and seek to solve the problems...

Also the asians are not invading, I don't see China's navy on the west coast bombarding North American land, and sending soldiers in.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 11:55 am

The real question is what, exactly, is political correctness? Is it a matter of keeping opinions to yourself. Sometimes it's a good idea. I don't believe there isn't anyone who will not be politically correct when they think it can get them somewhere or get them something. When it means something for them, they can act very, very good.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 12:01 pm

Oh, BPalmer! (I shake my head). You can't, or rather, shouldn't blame other people for your problems. Racism is ugly no matter who is displaying it.

But I just remembered an incident that occurred just after my daughter had been diagnosed as ret*d in Seattle (and if I had understood what the doctor said, autistic as well, but I went into shock as soon as the doctor said ret*d) and we had flown back to Yokota AFB in Japan. In church as I was dropping off my daughter in the nursery I heard a batch of kids in the parking lot sing-chanting, "You are ret*d! You are ret*d!" I burst into the lot filled with righteous wrath and saw a girl with long, blond hair huddled on the steps with her hands over her ears, and then I saw MY SON in the chanting group! The kids scattered like a flock of starlings as I grabbed my son and hauled him into the nursery and while several ladies stared wide-eyed I gripped his shoulders, shook him, and screamed, "Why would you do that? Don't you know that's what kids are going to do to your sister?! !!" The women slipped quietly out of the nursery as I broke into heavy sobbing.
I scared my son so badly that it was two and a half years before my son asked me in a quavering voice as I was driving around the runway (I'm sure he picked that space because it took ten minutes to drive around the runway and you were Not allowed to stop your car because that was a federal offense), he asked me, "Mom, what does ret*d mean?"

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 12:09 pm

Another incident. While my groceries were being bagged (anybody on base can bag groceries for tips) a group of teen baggers were fooling around with my bagger and they were calling each other ret*ds and laughing.
It had taken a few years, but I had finally calmed down from the initial diagnosis of my daughter, and so I could wait until the bagger and I were alone by my car and he was putting the bags in the back. I told him, "I understand you guys were just having fun, but you were using the word ret*d as a term of opprobrium. I have a daughter with retardation, but I don't think her condition is a bad thing. I wish you guys would find another word to use, because ret*d should not be seen as bad." The boy nearly dropped the groceries and fell all over himself apologizing. I like to think that maybe for the rest of his life he was more careful with his speech.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 12:13 pm

Oh, and I forgot to tell you, Iamspecial300, that I'm sorry you live in an abusive family.

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 12:33 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
if they're joking its not so bad

I wouldn’t say that. If you where/are black and I said "your a black b****d arn't you, your such a n***r, lol" would that be acceptable?

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 4:28 pm

robo37 wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
if they're joking its not so bad

I wouldn’t say that. If you where/are black and I said "your a black b****d arn't you, your such a n***r, lol" would that be acceptable?

Its difficult to draw a line.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 8:54 pm

there is no IFs and BUTs - abuse is abuse, and you live in an abusive family like the poster above has said. don't blame yourself for it - it's 100% their fault.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 8:57 pm

Yeah, it is their fault. Obviously family shouldn't be doing stuff like that. But if you can, its nice to laugh off what you can.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 9:30 pm

families tend to select one person as a scapegoat. do you feel like they might be "scapegoating" you?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 12:00 am

BPalmer wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
when I hear people laugh at the idea of 'politically correct' I just sigh, because I know what it was like before political correctness

Things were a lot better before political correctness: There was a lot more decency, instead all the namby-pamby, bleeding-heart muck which has destroyed society now.

sinsboldly wrote:
I met people with mental retardation and stopped calling them "morons", I met Chinese, no longer 'chinks' and Vietnamese were no longer 'gooks'.

I dislike those terms too, as Asians are OK. In Asia, that is. They should not be allowed to invade our country, as they've been doing for the last twenty years. I am sick and tired of seeing them doing unskilled work at the shopping centre down the road, when I have had my working hours drastically reduced. And I have had a gutsful of waiting in the heat for buses which are ten minutes late, whilst some African "refugee" zooms past in a late-model car.

So you can understand that I hate political correctness with a passion. Why should "n****r" be reduced to "the N-word"? It's not a swear word! People get away with calling me "psycho", "ret*d" and "schizo", and no-one refers to those as "P-word" etc, do they? Tell you what, everyone who looks obviously foreign, or ret*d, gets cut a hell of a lot of slack.

yeah, you didn't get to meet the Quaker girl, did you . . .
sorry,
I was just lucky, I guess.

Merle

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 2:26 am

lelia wrote:
You can't, or rather, shouldn't blame other people for your problems.

Why not? That's what's been done to me my whole life. Today, on the bus to work, some piece of welfare-scum (clearly "not all there", if you know what I mean) was noisily slurping something (I don't know if it was soft drink, alcohol or something else) out of a can. well, eating and drinking is illegal on the buses here. Yet no-one does a thing.

Meanwhile, I show signs of feeling extremely tense, due to a couple of passengers who obviously have a cold or the flu, coughing their lungs out. (I don't get sick pay, as I'm just contingent cannon-fodder.) So this middly-aged hag looks at me in a really judgemental way, and shakes her head in disapproval - whilst not showing any sign of being bothered by this law-breaking maggot slurping from the can. Is that because I'm male? What is wrong with this picture?

This is what I get for going to work?!? I have to earn every cent I get - and yet everyone in this s**thole looks at me as if I'm some sort of criminal. All because I don't look and act exactly like "Joe normal". Who's the victim of prejudice here, eh?

Last edited by BPalmer on 26 Feb 2009, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 2:29 am

sinsboldly wrote:
yeah, you didn't get to meet the Quaker girl, did you
Someone like the Quaker girl wouldn't live in a place like this, the working-class suburbs of Brisbane, Queensland. "Gentle persuasion" doesn't exist here: you either toe the line or STFU. And there's no way to get out of that environment.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 3:08 am

Padium wrote:
Being a racist is never acceptable... And that is clearly what the second half of your post shows.

BS. Racism is where you believe one race to be superior to the other. I never said that. But not all races and cultures can co-operate with each other. Are Japan and Korea racist because they don't allow huge numbers of Westerners to live there? I don't think so.

Quote:
I have less of a problem with asians than I do with people who tarnish the term black by making them all seem like gangster a** sh***, because that is not what they are.

But the ones who do participate in that culture of degeneracy are doing that to their own. This is where it gets complicated, because you're right that not all blacks are like that.

Quote:
you may become a less miserable person if you hate [fewer] people

Ever thought that it's because people around this miserable excuse for a "city" HATE ME?

Last edited by BPalmer on 26 Feb 2009, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 4:43 am

BPalmer, I'm sorry you are having such a terrible time.
And yes, Japan is a racist culture. And so is Russian. And so is, yeah, I can't think of a single country that does not indulge in racism, the worst, I think, being Saudi Arabia. The problem is that countries are made up of people.
And then you add in intolerance of any kind of differences besides race..... and we have Iamspecial300's family.