Those restaurants in department stores

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 1:00 pm

The little store that I shop at most has a nice deli, and the food is of good quality and very good. However, I don't eat food in those monster stores because you don't know where the ingredients came from.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 1:55 pm

Walmart has a McDonald's where I live, that's it if you don't count the food court at the one mall. We used to have a K-Mart but all the K-Marts in Canada closed down years ago along with the restaurant that the one in our city had. So did Zellers, which had a retro 50's style restaurant that I only ate in once or twice. Zellers was replaced by Target, which had a Starbucks but everything in it was a lot more expensive and not as good as Tim Horton's. Target was a huge flop in Canada and closed down faster than it took to build and open it.

It sucks. :(

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 8:00 am

Inside the Target by me they have a Starbucks and a pizza place.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 11:08 pm

The Target near me has a Starbucks and Target's own cafe which sells personal pizzas.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 11:27 pm

My local Wal-Mart has a Subway and an Auntie Anne's pretzels. They're merged into one restaurant with two sides and share a seating area.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 11:31 pm

eric76 wrote:
I half expected this to refer to the lunch counters at Woolworth's.

I remember seeing one in Houston when I was a kid, but didn't eat there.

In my county, only the drug store has a built in lunch counter. It's been around since the store was originally opened way back when. I've never eaten at it, but I occasionally think about going to it to see how good their food is.

My cousin used to eat there several times a week when he was in jail. When he got 30 days in the local jail in the late 1970s, they would frequently release him long enough at lunch time to go to the drug store to eat.

I feel as if I just stepped out of a time machine. "Lunch counter at Woolworth's" is a phrase I remember distinctly from a history book.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 8:16 am

Back in the 70's a lot of stores had nicer restaurants in them. Not the fast food ones, but the sit down ones with a waitress and all. Ever week when we went with my mother and grandmother to Penney's to get their hair done we would go to the restaurant afterwards and eat. There was one called The Garden in Rich's dept store that my mother and I used to go to a lot. I liked the ones inside the malls back then too. This was before the food court idea and all. There was a Britterlings or El Chico, Penrods, the Magic Pan, and of course Orange Julius. In the mall when I was a really little kid there used to be the best hot dog place ever. Also, Pizitz had a bakery inside the store. Right next to the ladies hats and the makeup counters.

There was also one in this drugstore we used to go to as well. This was on the second floor and there was a balcony over the store. I used to always get the veal. It was a for real restaurant and not a lunch counter. There is a lunch counter at our mom and pop drugstore in town and a soda fountain. The same stuff they had there in the 50s and 60s. They still serve there too.

I miss restaurants. We got nothing down here really.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

03 Oct 2015, 9:08 am

I just ate some Subway at a WalMart in another town near me yesterday. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 10:25 am

The Big W store here used to have a cafeteria in it. That was years ago now, I think it closed while I was still in early primary school.

We didn't get a Target store until the mid 90's.

The Coles supermarket had a cafe inside (technically) but the owners stopped paying rent and they got locked out. Now the whole cafe is just sitting there behind bolted doors, frozen in time.