Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 7:12 am

Postperson wrote:
oh i edited because I did a google on the stone and it's been returned to Scotland, it's in Edinburgh Castle.

I know. I saw it. But I thought it funny enough to do my bad imitation of Sean 'shpeech impediment' Connery.

On sabbatical...

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 7:49 am

"woad rage"

:lmao:

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 7:53 am

CelticRose wrote:
"woad rage"

:lmao:

Unfortunately, I can't claim the credit for making that up. I think I got it from a chapter title of Doctor Who: Shadow over Avalon by Paul Cornell. :?

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 12:20 am

No more comments? :(

On sabbatical...

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 3:35 pm

What was your overall impression of the Scottish countryside, Quatermass? It's unfortunate you were unable to visit in summer, as some of it is really breathtaking and best enjoyed with the warmth of the sun. I suppose you did get the benefit of the snow -- that must have been something of a novelty for an Australian.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 8:08 pm

Quatermass wrote:
No more comments? :(

Sorry, been moving house and I just got the computer back on.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

There was no Braveheart dude in Scotland when we were there but some lady in our B&B said to us... Your Mel Gibson is up here making a film and my husband is making his village houses for him. She showed us some pictures (of the houses) but none of Mel and we said yay wow... Mel went to our school (which he did, briefly) and left, not quite believing her.

We were stunned when about a year later Braveheart came out.

Did you see any coconuts at the Python castle? I'd heard that they sell or hire them.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:22 pm

ascan wrote:
What was your overall impression of the Scottish countryside, Quatermass? It's unfortunate you were unable to visit in summer, as some of it is really breathtaking and best enjoyed with the warmth of the sun. I suppose you did get the benefit of the snow -- that must have been something of a novelty for an Australian.

It was still interesting and spectacular. I'm surprised more film crews don't go to Scotland.

gbollard wrote:
Did you see any coconuts at the Python castle? I'd heard that they sell or hire them.

Never saw any. There were script books (for Holy Grail and the TV series), as well as Michael Palin's Diaries and a biography of Graham Chapman. No coconuts, though.

On sabbatical...

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 10:29 pm

Quatermass wrote:
gbollard wrote:

Never saw any. There were script books (for Holy Grail and the TV series), as well as Michael Palin's Diaries and a biography of Graham Chapman. No coconuts, though.

You went at the wrong time of year for swallows. :wink:

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 2:54 am

CelticRose wrote:
You went at the wrong time of year for swallows. :wink:

African or European ones?

oh... then again, African swallows are non-migratory, so it couldn't have been....

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 7:05 am

Latest blog entry up. Whaddya think?

On sabbatical...

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 7:57 am

Here`s what i think:

If this place is going to be remotly fair,
either your travel thread is un-stuck
right now, or everyone here gets
their own thread to stick. It could have
been a fun thread, but personally i`m
sick of seeing it hangig on top doing
nothing. I get it, you like to travel.
Its impossible to miss, since its right
there, 24/7. The one and only thread
with eternal life in random, for some
reason unknow to me. You asked,
and thats what i think of it.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 8:19 am

I can just see you going through customs with that syringe pen. :lol:

QM: But, officer, it's a souvenir, honest! I don't take drugs!
Customs officer (noticing typical Aspie behavior): Then why are you acting so strange? Why won't you look me in the eye?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Mar 2009, 3:11 pm

I am really enjoying this thread. It is so easy to feel as if I were visiting all the places that you did, Quatermass!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 4:16 pm

Holmes' house, like many places in London was abnormally "thin".... Good job picking up a syringe pen. No problems with Customs? I got a bullet (WWII shell) keychain from the Bunker near the houses of Parliament and I had loads of problems with it on the flight home. I had to ask an Air Garuda (Indonesian speaking) hostess for my "bullet" when I got to Bali (where we changed planes to come home). It was tricky because I couldn't explain it until I made a gun with my hand. I didn't want to point my finger-gun at her, so I pointed it to my own head. It gave them a very wrong signal because I was suddenly surrounded by guards.

Madame Tussands... Do they still have the dark ride? Did you see the Tom Baker waxwork? Did you see anyone doing anything to the statues. I got my poor wife to look compromising with Bill Clinton. :D

The globe was in the process of being built when I was there, so although we trudged around it, it was mostly a building site with just a small part of the walls built.

Harrods is weird... They have first and second class toilets. I used the second class one and there was a guy in there who cleaned up after me (not that I left a mess anyway). He handed me towels etc... and I said to him. Wow, what do they do in the first class toilet? Wipe your bum or something? He laughed (which was probably just as well).

Sounds like you liked Brighton about as much as K9 did. If it's miserable there, then that's a "good day" for them. Those stones are horrible on the feet. It's pretty windy there but I'll wager that it's not quite as windy as Portsmouth or Lands End (where you can get blown off the cliff). Did you see those little changing huts along the beach there. They're pretty cool.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 6:17 pm

gbollard wrote:
Madame Tussands... Do they still have the dark ride? Did you see the Tom Baker waxwork? Did you see anyone doing anything to the statues. I got my poor wife to look compromising with Bill Clinton. :D

Tom Baker's waxworks were not there, and believe me, I asked. As for a 'dark ride', well, I dunno about an actual ride, but they did have a section (which I eventually decided not to do) where these staffers try their utmost to scare the excrement out of you.

And I did not get a syringe pen, but just a crappy gold-coloured pen with 'Elementary my dear Watson' on the side.

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 5:26 am

Latest blog entry up, guys.

On sabbatical...