Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

redrach
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2009, 11:51 am

Hi,

I wondered if anyone else here with AS has trouble reading clocks?

I ask this in particular as it is crucial for me to read clocks for my job (not just to get there on time!).

Earlier today at work I explained to a colleague that I needed to look at the digital clock rather than the normal one as I find it far easier to interpret the digits than the traditional method.

I don't think he really got me!

I also remember that when we were first learning to tell the time at school, it took me forever to master, and my teacher was so frustrated by the weeks it took me to grasp it! I was about 9 at the time I think.

Anyone else had this problem? :)

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 11:53 am

Yes. Digital is much easier. I have to take a moment to think and interpret the dial kind.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 11:55 am

Yeah I have trouble with the kind with the hands, too. We just had a thread about this a couple of days ago. Let me dig it up for you, you'll find it interesting I'm sure :D

-edit-
Here it is!!
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt91738.html

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 11:59 am

Reading the actual time is not a problem, but everything else to do with clocks (digital and otherwise) is pretty much impossible.

Like trying to figure out time-zones or how many hours it is between this and that time. It's the kind of stuff that causes excrutiating headaches and tons of frustration.

I have given up trying to do it all by myself and always ask someone for help or to check my work - like if I'm creating an agenda or scheduling a meeting.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 3:09 pm

Yes. I didn't learn until I was about 10 years old. Time was never important to me. I only learned then because I was embarassed when I asked the principal of my school what time it was, and he showed me his analog watch. As I stood there perplexed for a couple of seconds (which seemed like hours), he finally told me the time. I ended up teaching myself to avoid futher embarassment. But, it took me years to feel comfortable with it.

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2009, 3:29 pm

I find analog watches easier than digital watches, because on analog watch i can see the sectors and all, but on digital i can see only numbers and i find it hard to imagine it to analog watch in my head. But when you talk about style then i prefer digital watches, because they are more cool.. though i prefer analog ones.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 3:39 pm

I can read clocks fine now, but I remember it was very hard for me to learn as a child. It just seemed to be a concept I couldn´t grasp. I had to work very hard at it, I remember that.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 5:21 pm

I can read clocks now, but my parents had the worst time teaching me to tell time when I was a kid. My dad said he thought I might be "slow" because of how difficult it was. That was probably my mom's first experience with teaching me the verbal mediation strategies that I have continued to need and will need for the rest of my life when dealing with nonverbal information.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2009, 5:35 pm

Like many others said. It took me a long time to learn how to read analog clocks.
But again, I've always been told that I'm slow at learning anything new. But this topic might have to do with my bad sense of time.

Digital clocks also took me a while to get, but I strongly prefer them now.