Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2009, 11:37 am

I, like a few other people that responded, had a job like this and it did help my social interactions. I got a job as a retail sales associate in a store I liked because I thought it would help me socially and I'm so glad that it did. What I really liked was that the store I worked in pretty much tells you what to say to people, so I didn't have to figure it out myself; I could just try and build upon the conversation the store rules basically started for me.

Amicitia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2009, 4:42 pm

I worked retail for a few months because I was desperate. The managers liked me and liked my work, but they knew I was too smart for the job and wouldn't stay long. I left because I had another offer, but it fell through. I could probably go to the store and get my job back, but I haven't because I just hated it too much. I can't deal with customers and their silly demands.

... It was good experience though.

little-bird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2009, 4:14 am

I work as a cashier at the moment. I don't like it, but I need to do it, so I go to work and 'put on' an attitude that I will enjoy it while I have to do it, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep on doing it. I also sort of approach it (and most other social situations) like an actor might approach a role. I consciously observe other people's behaviour and speech, and add them to my 'acting' repertoire. After a while the acting becomes easier.

I also made a point of writing down the exact processes to follow for ALL transactions/dealings on the registers, just in case, at least until I'd memorised them. Usually I only tend to have stuff-ups when a customer needs me to do something that isn't part of my repertoire of processes. Luckily, though, I have some nice co-workers to call on when I need help.

The only other problem I have with it is that it's mind-numbingly boring and hard on my feet.