Charles Darwin had autism, leading psychiatrist claims[News]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 11:56 am

Heh, i'm sort of sceptic ablout this, but it could be interesting, seeing as how i'm studying in bio anthropology, and Darwin is somewhat the pioneer of the discipline. =/

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 11:57 am

Mage wrote:
Einstein did donate his brain so now we know there is something different about his.

Thanks, that's some really interesting info!

I would add that they dissected Einsteins brain *after* he died, of course. Maybe the thoughts he thought changed the physical structure of his brain? If that's not possible, that our thoughts are determined purely by our physical brain structure, then it's goodbye to free will.

Physical exercise changes our body structure, why can't mental exercise change our brain structure?

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 12:03 pm

Actually, the way my biology teacher explained to us, there are neurons in the brains, and then you have something called "glial" cells , they take care of maintaining neurons and supply nutrients to them. The interesting part is that sometimes, those can be used to make connections between neurons too. And this is where Einstein apparently showed that he had more of these cells than the average human. =/

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 12:48 pm

ManErg wrote:
Mage wrote:
Einstein did donate his brain so now we know there is something different about his.

Thanks, that's some really interesting info!

I would add that they dissected Einsteins brain *after* he died, of course. Maybe the thoughts he thought changed the physical structure of his brain? If that's not possible, that our thoughts are determined purely by our physical brain structure, then it's goodbye to free will.

Physical exercise changes our body structure, why can't mental exercise change our brain structure?

I agree, with both; very interesting info, first off, and second off, I do believe that the thoughts we think and how we use the brain can change the structure. This would make perfect sense to me.

My guess is that probably many people with AS are drawn to the sciences; this would also make sense to me, just as many gay men seem to be drawn to musical theater. So my theory is that probably quite a few scientists had autistic traits. I´m glad that someone is finally realizing that people with AS are often very creative. I´m sick of hearing about the "lack of imagination" thing. My parents don´t believe I could possibly have AS because I´m "too imaginative" for that.