gifted and AS or just gifted (questions)

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 12:11 am

Uhh... why does there have to be a fall when you realize you're "abnormal"? Me, I was quite happy to realize I'm abnormal, and I honestly don't see what the heck is so horrible about being bad at some skill or other. "Oh, woe is me, I'm not perfect!"...?! !

No, what's bad is when you tell yourself for ages and ages that you're failing because you're lazy and you haven't got any morals and if you just tried harder you'd do it but you're just an immature little brat...

It's much easier to know that you've got a disability and learn about it and understand it and work around it to use what you're good at. Because a disability's nothing to be ashamed of and it's not your fault. I'm freaking abnormal and I'm proud of it, and whatever jackass tries to pity me is going to get an earful!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

millie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 12:15 am

high anxiety is also probably sensory related. has that been checked out?
i was reading on another thread that someone's child had the option of a time out room where he could go and curl into the bean bag. This is how it is at my son's school also, for the 3 dx'ed AS kids. Nate may well respond really well to little breaks like this, where he can unwind if the going gets tough.

is it possible the school could help out with this?
i know my nephew who is HFA also has this option at daycare and it is very good for him. His stress and anxiety levels are triggered by too much stimuli....So a quiet chill out place - a little safe haven - is essential.
Even as an adult with AS - it is important.

good luck.