Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 1:48 pm

I know a lot of people use this program for their internet and I'm curious to know what are the advantages of it over Internet Explorer? I just keep hearing that it's "better", but what are some of the details? Thanks!

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 3:06 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
I know a lot of people use this program for their internet and I'm curious to know what are the advantages of it over Internet Explorer? I just keep hearing that it's "better", but what are some of the details? Thanks!
ask this in the computer section I'm sure they'll give you an answer, but in short it's far more secure and is highly customisable to what you want :)

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 3:39 pm

Pikachu wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:
ask this in the computer section I'm sure they'll give you an answer, but in short it's far more secure and is highly customisable to what you want :)

That is true but if I am not mistaken I think it is a memory hog so don't use it unless you know for sure you got enough memory to spare to run it.

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 3:43 pm

I think one's system is more stable and less vulnerable (for all sorts of shite, like viruses, malware, trojans, other things) comparing it with Windows 'explorer'. I'm not sure and no expert at all but I'm satisfied using it. Plus some of the features, like blocking ads, I really like.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 4:06 pm

I, on the other hand, hate it. I find it difficult to use and it doesn't block a lot of the pop-ups that Internet Explorer does on the highest security setting. I only have it on my computer as a backup in case something happens to IE.

What I really hate is the superior attitude some Firefox users have. "Oh, you're experiencing (random problem)? You should just use Firefox. Internet Explorer is for losers." :x

Okay, rant over. :P

(Edited to clarify: This is not directed at anyone in particular.)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 5:02 pm

As someone else said, ask this question in the computers section.

Personally I use Firefox because it loads and closes faster than IE and there are lots of add-ons for it. My favourite add-ons are Flashblock, NoScript and AdBlocker Plus which blocks all adverts on all internet sites. I didn't even know this site had any advertising on it until someone complained about one of the adverts! No adverts also means the pages load much faster as there are no advertising graphics files to download.

Internet Explorer is for losers :lol: :wink:

Thatmew
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 5:53 pm

One thing that others have not noted, is that is it open source, unlike Internet Asploder. You can get the source of Firefox, chop it into Sushi, roll it in rice and seaweed, and call it SushiFox. You just have to credit the original. Internet Exploder, on the other hand, is a closed, locked, stored, in a safe, guarded by 300 security guards type secret. Unless you somehow obtain the source, illegally, that is, or you work at Microsoft, you don't have any chances to edit it, to make it better. Also, even with Windows updates, IE is still a ways more vulnerable than Firefox, due to the fact that it is a more widely known browser. You can use what you wish. I for example, also use OpenOffice. But enough about that.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 8:23 pm

a lot of hackers write malware for IE, because 'that's where the users are'. They don't bother as much with Firefox.

I and the missus both have Ad-aware. She uses IE, I use Firefox. (Well, she uses Yahoo as well, but no accounting for taste...;)

I rarely get spam and malware, she gets it all the time.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 10:36 pm

pakled wrote:
a lot of hackers write malware for IE, because 'that's where the users are'. They don't bother as much with Firefox.

I and the missus both have Ad-aware. She uses IE, I use Firefox. (Well, she uses Yahoo as well, but no accounting for taste...;)

I rarely get spam and malware, she gets it all the time.

I rarely get spam and I never get malware. (I use IE.) I think that has more to do with how careful you are and which security suite you use (McAfee Total Protection) than with which browser you use.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 10:51 pm

You do know that Windows is pre-loaded with basic stuff. You want to write some documents, use notepad. Want something better, use wordpad. Want to do something better than that, go out and obtain a better package. Windows allows this, this is the same situation with Internet Explorer. Firefox gives more control whereas Internet Explorer does not.

The best add-ons to use are of course:
no-script
ad-blocler
flashblock.

Using these tools you can have pages load much faster without wasting time downloading adverts you are only going to ignore.

What am I saying?
Windows is designed to have better software installed ;) end of.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 11:09 pm

^ lol