Aspie's and Facebook, MySpace, etc...

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 5:46 pm

OK, I have been gone for a long time now...I tried, I really did try to do the Facebook "NT" thing...after months, I just can't do it anymore...I post news articles, I write about what "I" think truly affects us all, about injustices, etc...while everyone else writes about getting 2 Coach bags for Christmas, a Chocolate Martini, or some other absolutely "snobby" subject...No picture of me, just a picture of my kiddo on my page...While every woman I know has a sexy picture of herself, all talking about all that girl stuff that I think is absolutely superficial...

So has anyone else tried Facebook or MySpace and found the same? It seems I have met some people through things like YoVille (yes, very stupid game, but I really tried), that have very similar views as mine, etc...and we write each other in Facebook and discuss some meaningful things...everyone else basically tells me I am negative, that I sound like a revolutionary, blah, blah...

So, here I am back...What's worse is that in person I can somewhat "fake" it...so many of these people I had as my friends in Facebook had no idea I had any of these thoughts...now they just think I am weird...I figured that the BS chit chat was good enough for when we see each other...but no, that seems to be their constant topic...Funny how NTs think that as Aspie's we only focus on one thing, but the fact is they do the same...except they focus on superficial stuff...

Poeticromance
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2009, 5:55 pm

Thats just immature people in general. I don't have friends who talk about that stuff on my old Myspace. I only gotten rid of it because of BS drama started by my ex best friend. I get what you mean though, idiots in my school talk about that stuff. I like to talk about matieral possesions at times but I love meaningful conversations.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 6:03 pm

I have a myspace, but it's a waste of bandwith.
I went over to livejournal, and it's much better there. I already have several new people I talk to. Just find a fandom or subject you like, and hop in.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 6:26 pm

Well, i can understand bloging in general sounding boring or superficial. It's because most of the time, nothing hugely important happens in most people's lives. I'd imagine that if, say, the Freedom Riders (the black rights activists) had blogs back in the day, they would've had stories to tell every day about getting beaten and arrested at sit-ins.

As far as webistes are concerned, i'd say stick to fbook. Myspace is a disaster. Totally disorganized. I only go there for music now.

But they do not have me

mackenzie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2009, 6:34 pm

I'm on facebook, but I don't really get it. I use it to keep in touch with my friends that are going to college in other states. It does seem to cause a lot of problems though. Personally, I don't understand the point of publicizing ever time you start or end a relationship. It's also just another set of social rules to learn (how well you have to know someone to add them as a friend, etc) and hardly seems worth the effort.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 6:37 pm

I like Facebook.

I belong to a very large Facebook group (the largest group of its kind anywhere) and have met a lot of people on there. Some of them are good friends, though I've never met most of them in real life (but I have met a few). A few of them have AS.

I also keep in touch with people I know in real life on Facebook.

I don't do MySpace.

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2009, 6:41 pm

Yeah, I'm on LJ, Facebook, and MySpace. It's funny because I have something like 260 Facebook "friends" and I don't talk to any of them. They are definitely superficial.

I second the LJ recommendation; I find people there are easier to get along with and it's easier to connect with people you share interests with. I have LJ friends I've had for years and I do consider them my true friends.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 6:50 pm

I was talked into joining Facebook a while back. It was only after I started receiving friend requests from people I hadn't seen in years that I started sending out a few of my own. I kind of regret now some of those requests I sent out.

Anyway, I never write anything about myself, and I never add photos, and I never tell anyone I have AS. But every so often I join a new group just to fill out my profile and reveal a (very) little something about myself.

MySpace has always looked a little user-unfriendly to me.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 7:04 pm

I do ok with most of these things...better than personal contact..get to be in touch with people I have not seen in years and who live in other places and whatnot.
Funny...my sister declined my Facebook friend invite... 8)

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 7:06 pm

I've never cared about FaceBook or MySpace. However, I'm a major YouTube addict. One of my accounts just hit 500 subscribers, so I'm happy. Not bad for opening it last May!

LuckyBunny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2009, 7:27 pm

I'm a Facebooker. I love being on it. Yes, I talk to less than 10 of my (formerly) 186 'friends'. Yes, practically all of them think I'm some sort of crazed lunatic.

But who cares? I express myself, whenever I see fit. I play to no audience. If I lose a frenemy cos they don't like my posts, screw 'em. What kind of friend judges on such things?

However, friendship is precious. By baring a thought now and then, it will separate real friends from the rest. While driving away the jaded and fake, it would create pathways to real friendship.

I can make an example of one of my friends. I've 'known' her for 6 years, but when I friend requested her a few weeks ago, she had no idea who I was. Since then, we've been pretty good supports for each other. In 'reality', there would be little chance of getting to know each other.

Also, Facebook has helped another one of my friendships. With the wealth of information available on profiles, someone who barely said 2 words to me in 4 years found lots we have in common, and even sent a hello with her husband when he was going to see me at an event.

No matter how much worse Facebook can make life, it has its upsides, and they can come unexpectedly.

((((hugs))))

~LL~

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 8:22 pm

Well, good to know it's not just me that doesn't get it...Thanks for the Live Journal recommendation. I created an account...maybe that will be better.

I am just sick of hearing sarcastic remarks...like I heard today when I wrote something about all the stuff getting lost in my house...it said..."oh, here we go again with the misery..." or something like that...It was obvious who this little idiot was talking about...So, honestly, I've started to delete some people...every once in a while I'll have someone tell me that I disappeared from their facebook and I just tell them that I leave it on and my kiddo plays on it...I just don't want the drama...

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 8:25 pm

skysaw wrote:
I kind of regret now some of those requests I sent out.
De-friend them.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Well, good to know it's not just me that doesn't get it...Thanks for the Live Journal recommendation. I created an account...maybe that will be better.

In the fandoms, those people are massively obsessed so we can blend right in.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 8:47 pm

I haven't yet figured out the appeal - or the logic - behind posting one's face on the web and rattling on about whatever fits your mood.

What's the point?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.