what's the difference between INTJ and AS?

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

BeatrixKiddo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2010, 2:30 am

I'm going to suggest that there are some differences.

I'm INTJ, but I've taken the the AS test and received the average score for an NT person. Because I spent time in foster care as a kid and teen I've had psych evals as late as my teen years, and I was never diagnosed with AS (or anything else). Not an expert though on what kind of test is needed to catch it.

I've been researching AS because I recenly met someone who has it, and I think there are a few differences.

1) I gather that AS's social difficulties are caused by an inability to process social information. This doesn't seem to be the case with INTJs, or at least not to the same extent as AS people.

2) At least from my observations of my own behavior, I don't believe I follow routines, I don't have obsessions, and I don't notice details. The AS guy I know notices things that most people do not. He'll also get a bit obsessive about details, while I feel like I don't generally care about details so much.

3) I don't think INTJ's interests are as narrowly focused as an AS person's may be. I love to learn new information and will spend a decent amount of time doing this most days provided there's time. However, I don't have one or two narrow fields that I limit this to. I like learning a lot of different kinds of things that I consider useful. The AS person told me his focus is on sports statistics and always has been. Also, I've read about AS people becoming focused on parts of things rather than the whole. This definitely doesn't apply to me and I don't think it applies to INTJs in general.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 12:27 pm

Hector wrote:
I've seen AS associated with INTP as well. That said the Myers-Briggs type indicators are, as far as I can tell, pseudoscientific rubbish. It'd be nice to know profoundly more about who I am and how I'd act based on how I answer a few questions, but I'm afraid that's just not what's going on here. Depending on my mood and the test I can get virtually any possible combination of types, with the exception of the T which is always far and away above the F.

I tend to agree. I am INTJ but I don't think it's synonymous with AS....and I share your skepticism about it being pseudoscience/woo-woo anyway.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:21 pm

this is something i've been wondering for awhile

i figured out i was INTJ after reading Gifts Differing back in the 80's

i started hearing on the internet about AS some ten or twelve years ago & it also seemed to fit--for example i scored more than 60% on one quiz i remember taking--but besides that, my sense of myself, my perceptions & unsociability.

colors, sounds, textures: just seem to mean more to me, than others when i try to describe it to them.

i've become relatively integrated into society (despite some key stubbornnesses), so i don't feel that i've met with extraordinary obstacles (perhaps because of my useful intelligence--people will forgive your eccentricities when you're very smart), yet i remain deeply alienated from both the major currents of humanity, & from its merest details. i would have it otherwise.

i am here to learn, however, not to state too summarily my judgment on this important topic.

m.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 12:02 pm

What is the INTJ difference between that and Aspergers? INTj is not as severe? They score as NTs? I am confused another acronym to look up for me..

A Myers-Brigg personality type?
(introversion, intuition, thinking, judgment)
according to wikiepedia

I just see it as a personality type. So some Aspergers may be INTJ. Others may not be. Some NT may be INTJ some may not be is the conclusion...

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 12:45 pm

I usually score either INTJ or INFJ, I am basically in the middle of thinking and feeling. But I am strong For Introvert, Intuitive, and Judging.

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Mar 2013, 12:49 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
http://typelogic.com/intj.html ===> the whole article rings bells related that remind us of symptoms related AS.

Someone told me that the only difference between AS and IN-types of personality is in term of severity :Aspies have more "significant" social impairment that prevent them to handle a job and get relationships/friends, INs don't necessarily have a "significant" social impairment.

This person also told me AS includes sensory issues while IN-types don't, yet I found this interesting part:

sorry for being pedantic, but this keeps cropping up all over the threads ....
aspies have impairments that cause them to have difficulties that can cause issues in friendships and in maintaining successful employment or relationships --- being aspie does not prevent them to handle a job and get relationships/friends
I'm making this point because I am fed up reading extreme viewpoints on this message board about what being on the spectrum is and isn't.

For young or recently diagnosed people, to be told that it is unlikely they'll ever have a good relationship or a friend is a very damaging thing to do. I want to introduce some balance here.
:wink:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 12:58 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
http://typelogic.com/intj.html ===> the whole article rings bells related that remind us of symptoms related AS.

Someone told me that the only difference between AS and IN-types of personality is in term of severity :Aspies have more "significant" social impairment that prevent them to handle a job and get relationships/friends, INs don't necessarily have a "significant" social impairment.

This person also told me AS includes sensory issues while IN-types don't, yet I found this interesting part:

Quote:
6. Introverted sensing

The LII has poor control over their physical well-being, neglecting matters of simple hygiene relatively easily. They dislike having to take care of mundane details of work but simultaneously derive pleasure from aesthetic neatness and organization.

The LII is easily annoyed by sensory over-stimulation, including loud noises, bright light, and extreme temperature. On the other hand, they easily become "addicted" to more pleasurable things, such as music, which have a corresponding effect on their mood (Fe). When left to their own devices, the LII tends to oscillate unhealthily between total indulgence of the senses and total neglect—the latter especially when working on something they feel to be extremely important. They tend to feel guilty for indulging in hedonism for the sake of hedonism.

On the surface the LII can seem easygoing, but in work projects or at home their critical nature will become more obvious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_In ... _Introvert

LII = INTJ

Stats show that the INTJ are the rarest among the general population (~1%) , it's as rare as Asperger.

So what's INTJ (or INs in general) ? is INTJ (and other INs) another label of Asperger or it's vice-versa? Or are they 2 different ,yet correlated labels?

I am INTJ and have AS.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 11:11 am

Old topic. my two cents are:

The MBTI is a tool, so intrisically limited, that matches cognitive functions. It doesn't tell anything about impairment in cognitive functions. It means to me that someone with ASD can be of any type.
The tests define dimensions not functions though, unless you get a true assessment with a professional, I hope.

It's possible that ASD looks like INxxs, is it true? How do you measure that with such a (personal use) vague tool?

Imagine an intj with spd then, following OP post, they probably look like an Aspie and have the same difficulties. I think that for people with milder forms of Asperger's it would be hard to tell. Where is the limit? is there really such a thing? Does it have to be/is it important?

Same for typing. No one is in a box. Cognitive tests can show that many don't use the "right" functions in the "right" order predicted by type.

One of my fave fictional Aspie is Brenda Johnson, and she's one of the least type "for Aspies" ENFP.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 1:58 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
I'm ESFJ. It doesn't get much more opposite than that.

Are you sure you're Autistic? My girlfriend is a total ESFJ and I struggle thinking of a person less Autistic than her :-)

Anyway, judging by other threads, INTJ & INTP are the most common personality types among people on this forum, followed by INFJ, INFP & ISTJ. So there's definitely a correlation between having an INTJ & INTP personality and being diagnosed with Autism.

Myself, I'm INTP.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 3:05 pm

I am INFJ and am diagnosed with Asperger's. Did the test a lot of times over my life and always the same result. Can't answer the questions more honestly.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 8:26 pm

I'm an INTP

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Purpledragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2018, 2:58 am

I vary between INFJ and INTJ, mostly the latter. Not sure if I have AS though, going in for my assessment next week.

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2018, 7:27 pm

I’ve never been diagnosed but there's probably greater than 50/50 chance that I am on the spectrum. I usually test as INTJ.

P192
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2018, 10:41 pm

One is the result of a statistically unreliable test and the other is a condition that has been researched extensively but no longer "exists" officially.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 4:57 am

P192 wrote:
One is the result of a statistically unreliable test

It seems to me the issue with Myers-Briggs is that most people have a rather average personality.

This means that their personality is somewhere in the middle between the two extremes for most of the four characteristics, which can result in very different results when the test is taken at a later time.

This doesn't mean the test is unreliable, though. It only means that we should not see the four different Myers-Briggs characteristics as four different dichotomies but rather as four different gradients, and that we must take into consideration that people being in the middle of such a gradient is more common than them being at the edge.

People with more extreme personalities (like people with Autism) are far more likely to get the same results over and over. And not just that, but neuroscientists have been able to map different personality types with different brain activity.