3/3/09: Math fans to celebrate Square Root Day

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 11:53 pm

Quote:
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – Dust off the slide rules and recharge the calculators. Square Root Day is upon us.

The math-buffs' holiday, which only occurs nine times each century, falls on Tuesday — 3/3/09 (for the mathematically challenged, three is the square root of nine).

"These days are like calendar comets, you wait and wait and wait for them, then they brighten up your day — and poof — they're gone," said Ron Gordon, a Redwood City teacher who started a contest meant to get people excited about the event.

The winner gets, of course, $339 for having the biggest Square Root Day event.

Gordon's daughter even set up a Facebook page — one of a half-dozen or so dedicated to the holiday — and hundreds of people had signed up with plans to celebrate in some way. Celebrations are as varied: Some cut root vegetables into squares, others make food in the shape of a square root symbol.

The last such day was five years ago, Feb. 2, 2004, which coincided with Groundhog Day. The next is seven years away, on April 4, 2016.

I call BS on this one... no self-respecting math major would use only the last two digits of a number to figure a square root... this must be one of those made-up holidays like Mothers Day or Christmas...

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 2:38 am

I think I completely missed the point of the article, because all I can look at is "even set up a facebook page". AGAIN WITH THE "even"! They do this every time, it's not special and not worth mentioning!

But aren't most holidays like this BS?

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 2:47 am

jrknothead wrote:

Quote:
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – Dust off the slide rules and recharge the calculators. Square Root Day is upon us.

The math-buffs' holiday, which only occurs nine times each century, falls on Tuesday — 3/3/09 (for the mathematically challenged, three is the square root of nine).

"These days are like calendar comets, you wait and wait and wait for them, then they brighten up your day — and poof — they're gone," said Ron Gordon, a Redwood City teacher who started a contest meant to get people excited about the event.

The winner gets, of course, $339 for having the biggest Square Root Day event.

Gordon's daughter even set up a Facebook page — one of a half-dozen or so dedicated to the holiday — and hundreds of people had signed up with plans to celebrate in some way. Celebrations are as varied: Some cut root vegetables into squares, others make food in the shape of a square root symbol.

The last such day was five years ago, Feb. 2, 2004, which coincided with Groundhog Day. The next is seven years away, on April 4, 2016.

I call BS on this one... no self-respecting math major would use only the last two digits of a number to figure a square root... this must be one of those made-up holidays like Mothers Day or Christmas...

Do not slag it off, let the maths people have their fun. It is clear to me that 3 / 3 / 9 is a number combination where the first two digets times each other give the last one which is a square. I am not greatly into maths but I do like numbers where the sum of all the digits is some pleasing number.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

rivergoat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2009, 3:25 pm

Hmmm, it also happens to be my nephew's 6th birthday... calculate THAT!! !

}:)~

t0
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 4:09 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
Do not slag it off, let the maths people have their fun. It is clear to me that 3 / 3 / 9 is a number combination where the first two digets times each other give the last one which is a square. I am not greatly into maths but I do like numbers where the sum of all the digits is some pleasing number.

Just wait - the real holiday 3/6/9 is coming soon!

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 4:21 pm

Lord above, first my AP Calculus class and now you guys...

Hey, at least the geeks get to have their holiday. Last time it was the Communists on Red Day (8/8/08; day of the Olympics in Bejing ); before that was Prostitute Day (7/7/07; get lucky!); and before that, to the delight of all the gothic people at my school, was Evil Day (6/6/06; the mark of the Beast)

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Mar 2009, 6:04 pm

In case anyone is interested on March 14 (3/14) is Pi day and this year it is preceded by Friday the 13th...
13 is a Fibonacci number I guess this make a Phi day before Pi day.. :P :twisted:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 9:26 am

What about Pi Day? 3/14/16? Or Euler Day 2/7/18? Or Square Root of Two Day.
1/4/14?

ruveyhn

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 9:52 am

ruveyn wrote:
1/4/14?

ruveyhn

Random holidays topic

And these celebrations do not appear in a known pattern, that is, they do not happen yearly. So I can understand the excitement to some extent. :lol:

And what is with your name ruveyn? An extra h? Fancy that. :P

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 10:38 am

sartresue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
1/4/14?

ruveyhn

Random holidays topic

And these celebrations do not appear in a known pattern, that is, they do not happen yearly. So I can understand the excitement to some extent. :lol:

And what is with your name ruveyn? An extra h? Fancy that. :P

Bad typingh

ruveyn

monty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 2:39 pm

ruveyn wrote:
What about Pi Day? 3/14/16?
ruveyhn

Ummm... not quite.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 2:39 pm

ruveyn wrote:
What about Pi Day? 3/14/16?
ruveyhn

Ummm... not quite. Who gave you permission to round off, when you should have truncated? :evil:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 10:26 am

what about 4/4/16, 5/5/25, 7/7/49, 8/8/64 and 9/9/81 (you should live so long)

ruveyn

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:08 am

Holy days to me are normal days -.-