Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ad2009
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2009, 9:30 pm

Does anyone know of any resources that would help think critically and analyze things more in depth? I am looking for both general resources and thing specific to Aspies. I am looking for things that would help me in life. I am also looking for things that would help me since I am a philosophy major.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 10:05 pm

YES YES YES
how about some Noam Chomsky stuff. his interview books are full stuff to help you in life and use your philosophy theories. for example this one taken straight from NC

The new spirit of the age is my favorite topic!! !! !

"HISTORY > Gain Wealth Forgetting All But Self
You go back to say the mid 19th century. There was a very lively independent working class press run by young women from the farms called Factory Girls. Artisans from the town, you know, shoe makers, Irish immigrants and so on. And it’s interesting reading. I mean they very bitterly condemned what they called, 150 years ago, the new spirit of the age. Gain wealth forgetting all but self. That’s the doctrine of the modern system.
And they recognized it, they condemned it. It was the new spirit of the age then. They said it was totally dehumanizing. They did not want to be the kind of people who would gain wealth forgetting all but self. Namely what they’re taught to be. And by now a huge indoctrination system tries to force them to be. They regarded it as degrading, destructive of culture of independence of freedom. They described themselves as being the subjects of a monarchical, or feudal system losing their rights as Americans

- Noam Chomsky
"

ad2009
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2009, 10:26 pm

Well thank you, but I was referring more to resources that would allow me to look at an argument and analyze it better or look at a event that comes up in my personal life and be able to step back, introspect, and find solutions to the problem that I may not have seen before.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 10:42 pm

ad2009 wrote:
Well thank you, but I was referring more to resources that would allow me to look at an argument and analyze it better or look at a event that comes up in my personal life and be able to step back, introspect, and find solutions to the problem that I may not have seen before.

ok if the new spirit of the age does not rock your boat, maybe this?

say you bought something, a laptop computer. was that a moral action? what would Mills say? what would Kant say? what would ol' Carl Marx say? can you apply the basic concepts of 1) non-maleficence 2) autonomy 3) utilitarianism 4) does your action stand Kant's universality test? 5) what about the new spirit of the age - are you "forgetting all but self" when you are buying yourself something?

OR

do you favor the philosophy of selfishness - Ayn Raid wrote a book about this (i did not read that book btw) - do you think that if you worked hard you deserve to get something nice for yourself? what about your parents? is it moral to abandon your parents?

just a bunch of random ideas. i only took a basic ethics class in college so what the hec* do i know?? :)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 11:34 pm

Start off with stuff from the Enlightenment, dabble in the Greeks. Read lots of good English literature (or of whatever country you prefer) and analyze it closely (this will just help you build general analytical skills, while being somewhat easier to digest than heavier philosophical works).

Or you could study logic to help you think more clearly. Loads of books on that, look for a book with a title like "Mathematical Reasoning" or something along those lines.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 12:05 am

Orwell wrote:
Start off with stuff from the Enlightenment, dabble in the Greeks. Read lots of good English literature (or of whatever country you prefer) and analyze it closely (this will just help you build general analytical skills, while being somewhat easier to digest than heavier philosophical works).

Or you could study logic to help you think more clearly. Loads of books on that, look for a book with a title like "Mathematical Reasoning" or something along those lines.

you talk like you have to MS degrees in philosophy. by the way, Orwell is the man. but he would have never been published had he written his book about the U.S. government rather than the soviets.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 1:45 am

Learning2Survive wrote:
you talk like you have to MS degrees in philosophy. by the way, Orwell is the man. but he would have never been published had he written his book about the U.S. government rather than the soviets.

No, I am a lowly undergrad, and not in philosophy. My knowledge on philosophy in general is extremely sparse.

Orwell was writing about Western governments, including the US and Great Britain. Heck, Oceania was the US and UK. Only Animal Farm seemed to be specifically anti-Soviet, and even that shows deeper levels of meaning on a more careful reading.