Page 1 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:05 pm

What are some weird things you did as a kid?

For me, I would howl like a dog while walking to the babysitters in the morning, just to hear the echo, I thought it was fun at the time, and would probably still enjoy it. I also didn't realise that i could be heard over a block away doing that... hearing that from my parents was kinda embarassing...

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:14 pm

I did that too, except I called it a wolf. Also did a rooster. And it is still fun, just do it sometime.
As far as other things.... it would be a long list.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:20 pm

I used to stare blankly into space without blinking.
I was not afraid of anything and had to be taught to fear.
I made creatures out of my hands and would play with them for hours.
I would chew on anything chewable. Eg my watch.
I loved the feel of my pillow and would insist on taking it almost anywhere so I could stick my hand inside the pillowcase and feel the cloth. Actually I still do that :oops:
I was obsessed with my pacifier to the age of like.. 5? Until my mom found them all and threw them away. Now I just suck on my tongue sometimes.
I used to read large novels that were way beyond my years, figure out what strange words meant from the context, and start using them in regular conversation. Shocked the hell out of my mom constantly. :D

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:31 pm

zghost wrote:
I did that too, except I called it a wolf. Also did a rooster. And it is still fun, just do it sometime.
As far as other things.... it would be a long list.

Yeah, wolf is what i meant...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:37 pm

I'd pretend to eat 12s off the TV screen, because 12 was my favourite number.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:39 pm

I used to play with beans, pasta, buttons, and beads, to arrange them into patterns. I'm not particularly artistic, but the patterns were fun and interesting. I still play with little colored candies that way when I eat them.

I went through the usual kid medical phase with extreme enthusiasm... I read books on medicine, nutrition, first aid... I remember being about nine, and reading the autobiography of somebody who had a spinal cord injury, and thinking she must be very ignorant not to understand that the spinal cord is not the same thing as the vertebral column. I also learned about sex and pregnancy from my mom's books. I think I must have been about the only kid who knew what Pitocin does, what a refractory period is, or what's dangerous about monoamniotic/monochorionic twins, but still didn't know about oral sex.

I made lists of the short segments on Sesame Street to try to determine which of them was played most often.

I memorized the entirety of every play I was ever in... not just my part but everybody else's, singing and speaking, and recapped it for anyone who could be made to sit down for it (not too many people, admittedly.)

I kept a drawer full of random objects, some of which would be considered trash, some of which were useful, some of which were just pretty. One day, my mom cleaned it out, and I was heartbroken.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:45 pm

Lots, I wore a dolls dress on my head as a hat on a regular basis.

MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2009, 7:48 pm

I used to search old 19th/early 20th Cent. Gold Mine shafts for old dynamite (nitroglycerine soaked sawdust wrapped in waxed paper) and salvage the lovely shiney goo (the age-expressed nitroglycerine) to play with. 8O

I had a lot of fun with a bucket of that stuff and a wooden spoon.... :twisted:

I guess I was/am channeling Guy Fawkes...

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:49 pm

Callista wrote:
I made lists of the short segments on Sesame Street to try to determine which of them was played most often.

I am very interested. What were the results??? I love statistics 8O

Aqueo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2009, 7:51 pm

When I was a kid I used to freak people out by talking to myself XD I'd mutter under my breath, playing in my head. It scared the hell out of my dad.

I also used to scoot around on my back because it was better than walking, and I'd go under the sofa.

I used to dance around the sofa telling it stories too. Basicly, playing in my head again...I still do that in the privacy of my room now, 13-4 years later....

04 Mar 2009, 7:56 pm

I ate sand
I played with my lip
I ate raw biscuits
Put Barbie heads in my panties
Peed in my playhouse
Liked watching people blow their noses
Watched babies getting their diapers changed

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:58 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I ate sand
I played with my lip
I ate raw biscuits
Peed in my playhouse

lol, I guess some people maintain a lot from their childhood...

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Mar 2009, 8:00 pm

I used to walk the perimeter of the school playground at recess, and our yard at home, by myself in a specific pattern.

I used to put clothes pins on my fingers until my mother came home from her bowling league---sometimes I made Dad do it too.

I used to tie a long string through the whole house (our rooms and halls made a complete circuit) and attach an object to it and pull it until it came back to where I was sitting.

And there was a certain little self-harm thing I did (a lot of us do/did self-harm) that was really bizarre---not sure if I want to talk about it here though :twisted: :oops: 8O .

Last edited by glider18 on 04 Mar 2009, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

04 Mar 2009, 8:03 pm

Padium wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
I ate sand
I played with my lip
I ate raw biscuits
Peed in my playhouse

lol, I guess some people maintain a lot from their childhood...

Another weird thing about me:

I liked wearing pull ups so I always wore them and then I started to put them on occasionally and pee in them and this was before I got into diapers.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 8:15 pm

I drank motor oil (see? I was a motorhead even back then!).

I made an unusual noise with my tongue.

I would mimic the behavior of our cats.

I really liked the soft, fuzzy, blue material my mom used for blankets, and I would rub on it for hours.

I would upset a lot of people without understanding why, and without remembering the sequence of events well enough to figure it out after the fact.

I would refuse to do some things that I would otherwise have wanted to do, just because someone told me to do them, and even now I still don't understand why I did that.

I once told a blind person that he couldn't be blind, and refused to believe him. I tried to test his claim of being blind by asking him what color this and that is (duh!). At the time I just couldn't wrap my mind around how his experience is different from mine.

Once I filled my grandpa's car's gasoline tank with water because I wanted to see if he could just drive on water and not have to pay for gasoline.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 8:41 pm

When I was a wee boy, I had to keep my mind filled with syllables. I did this in order to keep control of my thoughts, and also to guard against mind-reading (I didn't know about nonverbal communication, so I'd assumed most people could understand thoughts).

In the morning when I was walking up to primary school, because I would rarely see another person until I got there, I realised that I could conceivably fail to notice if the world changed in some fundamental way. I became quite terrified of the idea that I could reach school and find that, for instance, human beings now have blue skin and that I owe the class and teacher an explanation for turning up with a pinkish-white face.