Page 5 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

06 Mar 2009, 3:43 pm

Padium wrote:
What are some weird things you did as a kid?

For me, I would howl like a dog while walking to the babysitters in the morning, just to hear the echo, I thought it was fun at the time, and would probably still enjoy it. I also didn't realise that i could be heard over a block away doing that... hearing that from my parents was kinda embarassing...

I was told by a school councilor that if I didn't stop making the weird noises that my vocal cords would be damaged and I might end up having to have surgery and be unable to speak. Shows what she knows. I still make weird sounds from time to time when nobody is around. HAHAHA Echolalia is fun too. LOL

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 3:50 pm

Whimsi-Cal wrote:
Padium wrote:
What are some weird things you did as a kid?

For me, I would howl like a dog while walking to the babysitters in the morning, just to hear the echo, I thought it was fun at the time, and would probably still enjoy it. I also didn't realise that i could be heard over a block away doing that... hearing that from my parents was kinda embarassing...

I was told by a school councilor that if I didn't stop making the weird noises that my vocal cords would be damaged and I might end up having to have surgery and be unable to speak. Shows what she knows. I still make weird sounds from time to time when nobody is around. HAHAHA Echolalia is fun too. LOL

My teacher told me the same thing in grade 8... I didn't get damaged vocal chords, I hit puberty and couldn't make the voice any more... It was my favourite voice too, I used it for roleplaying skeletons, and no other voice works for me... Instead I now have an ugly witches voice when I try to do the skeleton one, as my voice can't go that high any more... I hate puberty, why did it have to happen to me???

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2009, 3:59 pm

Wow. I used to sing right up to my teens, still do sometimes now. I remember being stressed for my first ever job, so when I got there early, waiting with other employees, I sang until the manager arrived and opened the doors. I am SURE that did not leave a good impression.

I also chewed everything. Blanket. Toy (until their arms and legs were shrivelled with my saliva). Wrist. Toothbrushes. Other people's clothes. I still do it today. My fiance, bless him, did not find it odd (or at least he pretended to!!)

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 4:03 pm

Liresse wrote:
Wow. I used to sing right up to my teens, still do sometimes now. I remember being stressed for my first ever job, so when I got there early, waiting with other employees, I sang until the manager arrived and opened the doors. I am SURE that did not leave a good impression.

I also chewed everything. Blanket. Toy (until their arms and legs were shrivelled with my saliva). Wrist. Toothbrushes. Other people's clothes. I still do it today. My fiance, bless him, did not find it odd (or at least he pretended to!!)

I used to chew the pullstrings on my jacket hood when I was a kid... Oddly enough, it always tasted salty...

06 Mar 2009, 4:41 pm

I brought all my Barbie furniture in the bathroom one time when I had to go number two. I was five.

I ate bird food

I used to use Easter grass and put it between my teeth and rub it back and forth making my gums bleed

I used to stick tweezers up my vagina scooping out the mucus and one time I tried to make a mucus collection by putting it in the baggy. It got old because it turn color and it stunk real bad I stopped.

I loved outhouses when I was little because I liked peeing outdoors. I even loved the portable potties.

theLilAsimov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2009, 6:43 pm

Hm. Weird things I did as a kid...

Well, I was recently informed that starting at about the age of 1 or so I began to build these Lego walls and I would do it repetitively, in the same building pattern every time. I would only build like 6 or 7 of these walls, but I would always build them the same way.

My Grandma told me a few days ago that I used to (and I still do!) categorize things by the attributes they had i.e. color, shape, likeness to other objects.

Well, I don't know if what I just typed counts as weird things or not, but I tried my best to fulfill the parameters of the subject.

:D

17seconds
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2009, 7:04 pm

i used to collect worms when it rained and arrange them by their color, length, etc.

i would zone in a certain tv show (i would choose a new one when the one i liked went into syndication) and learn everything about it.

my fourth grade gifted and talented teacher told my mother i was too eccentric for my own good and that i would never have any friends.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 7:41 pm

Even as a toddler it was impossible for me to do simple tasks without extremely clear instruction. My mom would tell me to pick up my toys. That wasn't specific enough for me. I needed to be told which toy to pick up first, then which one comes next, then which one comes next.... so forth.

My mom thought I was pretty ret*d but now that I know how my mind works I know that the instructions just weren't clear enough for me. There must be a certain order the toys need to go into the toy box, and I need to know what it is so I can do it correctly. I think if she had told me "Start with the biggest and work your way down" I would have done a better job and wouldn't have had to stop to ask which was next every time I finished putting one away lol.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 7:50 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
Until I was 11, I use to mimic Sesame Street characters voices. I liked that show for too long.... I was Ernie, Grover, Big Bird, Bert, Cookie Monster, The Count.... I could go on.

I could do the best Cookie Monster impersonation, real cookies included.
There always had to be a vacuum cleaner nearby..

SpazzDog
Raven
Raven

06 Mar 2009, 8:08 pm

I would put sand in my hair and slowly run my finger nails through my scalp and feel the sand between my hairs. I'd also go up to the pots and pans cabinet, pull everything out and just hide out in there. I'd also run off from my mom and dad and listen to them call out to me, looking for me, and not respond. Or, sometimes, respond - but as if they were right next to me and not a block away! I'd also find daddy long legs, pull one leg off and count each twitch, thinking each twitch was a step the long legs made. I'd then reason he made X steps and each step was Y in. and try to find him within a (pi)YX radius. (Needless to day, I never did find any of those daddy long legs I tried that experiment out on.) Other things I'd do with daddy long legs is put them in the house and let them hang out in there - until they'd fall down on my brother's lap and make in freak out and scream!

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 8:35 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Even as a toddler it was impossible for me to do simple tasks without extremely clear instruction. My mom would tell me to pick up my toys. That wasn't specific enough for me. I needed to be told which toy to pick up first, then which one comes next, then which one comes next.... so forth.

My mom thought I was pretty ret*d but now that I know how my mind works I know that the instructions just weren't clear enough for me. There must be a certain order the toys need to go into the toy box, and I need to know what it is so I can do it correctly. I think if she had told me "Start with the biggest and work your way down" I would have done a better job and wouldn't have had to stop to ask which was next every time I finished putting one away lol.

Oh, heck, I still need clear instructions if I am to get anything done. I am like that with math, and so I am struggling with math, because at the university, the profs think everything is intuitive... Its not intuitive at all... That's why I now have a tutor.

LuckyBunny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2009, 8:56 pm

I used to (and still do) bite my bottom lip when contented, which makes me even more contented.

Also, I pick at anything fluffy, and roll the fibers between my fingers. There's tiny discarded balls of my duvet all over the place right now, actually, although this habit is slowing down a lot. I have sofa cushions that I've unzipped and picked away at the cushions inside the covers. Now, after 5 years, there's not a lot left of them. I've left the wooly interior alone, but the outer part that keeps the wool in shape is almost completely gone.

((((hugs))))

~Loving Light~

EDIT: I also had a little yellow blanket since I was a baby. I called it my 'flowers' (???). I wouldn't go anywhere without it, right up until it got retired when I was around 5. I would drag it around with me everywhere, refused to sleep without it, and went scatty at my mum when I couldn't find it. When it eventually got retired, I substituted it with a little 6 inch teddy bear, which I never quite had the same attachment to.

Last edited by LuckyBunny on 06 Mar 2009, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazycatlady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2009, 8:58 pm

I used to headbang all the time. I mostly did it at night when I was trying to fall asleep. I'd lie on my belly with my hands on either side of my head, and I'd repeatedly whack my head off the mattress until I got sleepy (I'd usually sing or hum a monotonous tone too), and then I'd curl up in the fetal position and rest my head on my pillow when I was ready to sleep. I'd also whack my head and shoulders off chairs and other furniture (or sometimes the floor). I did this for a long time, and it kind of faded as I got older. One summer, when I was about 13, I was off at camp, and my cabinmates woke me up in the middle of the night. I had been headbanging and singing, and I was so embarrassed that I stopped.

When I was in 3rd grade, I also loved to look through the bushes for snails and slugs at my bus stop. When I found one, I'd bring it to school with me, name it, and keep it as a pet until the end of the day. It really annoyed my teacher. I crack up whenever I think about it.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 9:02 pm

crazycatlady wrote:
When I was in 3rd grade, I also loved to look through the bushes for snails and slugs at my bus stop. When I found one, I'd bring it to school with me, name it, and keep it as a pet until the end of the day. It really annoyed my teacher. I crack up whenever I think about it.

I did that up until the end of grade 7...

Up until grade 3 or 4, when heading to bed I would make my covers into a design and call that my sleeping nest and force myself to sleep in the nest, till I realised it was too difficult to sleep in something so different, even though it looked really cool...

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 12:49 pm

painting the neighbours red house blue, my folks got mad though :oops:

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 4:23 pm

I've been reading through these posts, and I'm not seeing much that seems particularly weird. I mean, aren't kids supposed to do most of those things? Isn't the whole purpose of childhood to learn and explore the world?

I personally used to line my stuffed animals up and make them sing along to my Beatles records. But it's hard to see that as particularly weird, or AS. If I was doing it at work, then that would be strange. (I would love to do it right now, to tell the truth.)

All the things about categorizing things and exploring the environment just seem like normal, healthy kid things. Or am I just so out of touch with reality that I don't know what I'm talking about?

What do neurotypical kids do?

Also, my AS son loves to get groups of Lego minifigures (we have about 300), and put them on the dining table with various accessories. It's like, he HAS to do that. Like, this morning he made the crew of Serenity, from the Joss Whedan series, "Firefly". The thing that really bugs me about it is that he just dumps them on the table, all haphazard. I come along and line them up in little rows. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why my son with Asperger's didn't want to line things up, while I did. Then I began to think maybe I'm an aspie, too.