Music Videos....what does everyone think?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 1:56 am

Does anyone else find music videos as boring as I do?

I mean, occasionally, I'll see a few cool ones. But for the most part, it's basically the bands dancing around and playing their instruments.

Is it just me, or does that seem so incredibly boring?

I honestly don't know how teenagers sit thru them for the most part.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:27 am

If it's a band I like I'll watch it, if I don't like them I probably won't watch it. Some videos tell a story, which has nothing to do with the song, but it still is more entertaining than the bands playing.
I actually find watching live music boring. I need to be taking photos or singing along to enjoy myself.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:32 am

i can't make a sweeping judgment like that about music clips. for me it depends on the song, the artist and the visuals. some are crass and others are brilliant.

recently a friend sent me a patti smith youtube vid. she is singing "free money" and the visuals are black and white stills of her in the 70's. it' s very good and a fave of mine.

then of course there might be a rhianna vid that i find completely inane.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 1:16 pm

I'm not really that into them, they're kind of boring for me too, well most of them are.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

audioeyes
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2009, 2:15 pm

I completely agree with you on the most part, TheDoctor82. Ones I particularly hate are all the videos for commercial dance music where it's all scantily clad women prancing around a screen. Practically every commercial dance music video is the same. There is no originality, no relation to the music... they are shameful, boring, stupid and take absolutely no brain capacity to come up with them.

I'm more interested in the videos for the more experimental, unusual forms of Electronic music (ambient, glitch, IDM, Techno, Chip) which tend to feature far more experimental types of videos: sometimes consisting of graphics and nothing real.

For something even more clever, check out the link below of how the song "Equation" by Aphex Twin appears when it is run through something called a "Spectrograph" (which basically visualises the sound spectrum of the song). To see the weird twist in the song, skip to the 5:27 point and prepare to be... weirded out???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KMFxzA_Lk[/youtube]

Rik

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 2:57 pm

audioeyes wrote:
For something even more clever, check out the link below of how the song "Equation" by Aphex Twin appears when it is run through something called a "Spectrograph" (which basically visualises the sound spectrum of the song). To see the weird twist in the song, skip to the 5:27 point and prepare to be... weirded out???

Rik

Wow... that is quite interesing. 5 stars!

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

audioeyes
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2009, 3:08 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
audioeyes wrote:
Wow... that is quite interesing. 5 stars!

:)
Aphex Twin is a GENIUS.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:13 pm

millie wrote:
i can't make a sweeping judgment like that about music clips. for me it depends on the song, the artist and the visuals. some are crass and others are brilliant.

recently a friend sent me a patti smith youtube vid. she is singing "free money" and the visuals are black and white stills of her in the 70's. it' s very good and a fave of mine.

then of course there might be a rhianna vid that i find completely inane.

Disturbia, I'm guessing? That was quite creepy, and I'm not normally creeped out by stuff.

The Umbrella vid (and lyrics) is filled with Satanic messages and symbolism. The song is actually about demonic possession and the economic crisis (I had a link to a detailed analysis, but I lost it somewhere).

y es como un semestre"