Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 4:37 pm

I work at a place that has a similar performance appraisal process as yours, and although I'm by no means perfect and still make some typical aspie faults, I might be able to give you some of the advice the manager should have said. Really, though, help your manager a bit; just tell them you'd like more concrete examples of what you're doing wrong socially and then concrete strategies that would fit the situation better. It may sound a bit elementary, but engineers are known to be a bit socially awkward at times, so they probably won't think too much of it.

• One good thing to do is avoid unnecessary conflict and disagreement. Avoid telling people flat out they're wrong, for example. Say a few things you like about their idea, and then add your criticism but frame it as a question about your understanding of their idea or as a friendly suggestion. Making enemies for little reason is just bad strategy.
  • Avoid getting too emotionally worked up. This may sometimes be easier said than done, but it's best not to take criticisms personally and not to get distraught if things don't turn out the way you had hoped. It's better to think forward and avoid showing any significant negative emotion.
  • Even if you don't work with the person much, it doesn't hurt to say hi when you see them and maybe to have a short conversation with them about non-work stuff. For example, ask them how they're doing. Parents like it when you ask a little about how their children are doing. If they have an interest, especially one you share with them, ask them about it and see why they like it. Try to stick to work-safe topics and, especially if you're getting in a preachy mode with your opinions, avoid discussing religion, politics, and sex.
  • Ask people about the work they're doing and their projects. If they're new or working with something they're unfamiliar with but you are familiar with and your schedule allows, offer to help them for a few minutes.
  • Basically try to make it pleasant to work with you and help others out.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 4:51 pm

Quote:
Tracker wrote:
So, I had my 'yearly performance review' this morning at work. Since Ive only been there 3 months, it wasn't really a performance review as more of a short discussion about how I am doing.

Overall, my boss told me that I am a very quick learner, and do excellent work. He even complimented me for doing a better job then some of the other people who have been there 10 years.

However, he told me that I need to work on communicating with the other engineers better. Specifically, I need to come across as more friendly or something. When I asked for details he just said that a couple people mentioned that they were a bit annoyed by my behavior. Of course this doesnt help me, so I ask who was annoyed, and what I did to annoy them. My boss just told me that he didnt want to name names, but I could fix the problem by being more professional.

So now I have to figure out who I am bothering, and how it is that I am bothering them without any useful information. I told my office partner about this and he just stared at me like I was crazy. Apparently I am supposed to figure it who I am annoying by telepathy or something...

Anyways, I am off to meditate until I evolve the ability to read minds. If that plan fails, Ill just go around smiling more. I think the main problem is my lack of smiling.

gee, it would have been helpful if they had been more specific about what you were doing.
I heard Tony Attwood talking yesterday. He was talking about it in relation to personal relationships and intimacy, but i think it holds true for work environments too. HE said. I agree. AS people need the concrete instructions and directions regarding this kind of thing. we will work on things if people explain to us CLEARLY and STRAIGHTFORWARDLY, what it is we need to work on.

i know that is the case with me.

let me know when the mindreading abilities are fully developed.... :wink:

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 12:52 am

Bit tips for ya:

1. Kill 'em with kindness. That ALWAYS puts them in a situation where there's NOTHING they can do. Remember...NTs base their actions on EMOTIONS; take advantage of this.

2. Be the best at what you do, and know you're always doing the right thing, so you always have your @$$ covered. If the bosses try to start something up with you, let 'em try throwing it in your face...it will fail, and HARD. They know they need YOU more than you need THEM.

WanderMan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2009, 1:13 am

Tracker wrote:
S

However, he told me that I need to work on communicating with the other engineers better. Specifically, I need to come across as more friendly or something. When I asked for details he just said that a couple people mentioned that they were a bit annoyed by my behavior. Of course this doesnt help me, so I ask who was annoyed, and what I did to annoy them. My boss just told me that he didnt want to name names, but I could fix the problem by being more professional.

So now I have to figure out who I am bothering, and how it is that I am bothering them without any useful information. I told my office partner about this and he just stared at me like I was crazy. Apparently I am supposed to figure it who I am annoying by telepathy or something...

Anyways, I am off to meditate until I evolve the ability to read minds. If that plan fails, Ill just go around smiling more. I think the main problem is my lack of smiling.

I have this exact problem! I feel your pain. People are always afriad of me, but almost no one will ever explain why. it's as if the problem is so incredibly obvious to them that they just won't believe that I don't know what it is. But I don't.

You are probably right that smiling more would help, but be careful not to smile to hard... I find that often people will get upset when anything is done with to much intensity. I don't know if we have the same problems, but the best descriptions I've managed to get from people of what "bothers them" about me is that I'm too intense. I smile to hard, I look to hard in one direction. My muscles hold more tension than most people to etc... The more I study social skills, the more I am amazed by how complex it is! I have to remeber so many things! Just "smiling more" is not enough, at least for me...

I hope maybe that helps you.

have you read "the Game"? It's a fascinating true book, about people who teach actual classes on social skills, to scialize awkward men. I found that very helpful as well, maybe you'd like it too. They do it mostly to help men get dates, lol