Discuss.

MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2009, 6:39 pm

twoshots wrote:
Distance doesn't exist. Rulers exist.

Discuss.

Rulers don't exist, only people who Wish to be Ruled exist. There is no slave master without slaves.

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 6:42 pm

No, no, this kind of ruler:

MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2009, 6:48 pm

twoshots wrote:
No, no, this kind of ruler:

Rulers (at least using the traditional English System) came from Rulers, and since Rulers are a convention created by Rulers and Rulers exist only in respect to those who wish to be measured, then Rulers don't exist either... :wink:

Besides. Lasers are more accurate. :lol:

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 6:57 pm

MrMisanthrope wrote:
Rulers (at least using the traditional English System) came from Rulers, and since Rulers are a convention created by Rulers and Rulers exist only in respect to those who wish to be measured, then Rulers don't exist either... :wink:

Besides. Lasers are more accurate. :lol:

In the SI-System the length is defined vis the time: "The metre is the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second."

http://www.bipm.org/en/si/si_brochure/c ... metre.html

---

The traditional Imperial System can't hardly be taken as a serious system for measurement in a technical environment.

OrderAndChaos30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2009, 7:13 pm

jrknothead wrote:
MrMisanthrope wrote:
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Gotta love Douglas Adams :)

Agreed :-)

But as I see it, ultimately, 'time' does not exist. The only thing that does exist is the entire set of data, the state of the universe and memory, that only exists concurrently now. What we call time is the relationships between pieces of information, but that information can only exist in the current moment. Time is just the organization of the information that exists in the now. After all, how would we know if the universe just 'poofed' into 'existence' five seconds ago with all memories and history coming into existence then?

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 9:44 pm

OrderAndChaos30 wrote:
But as I see it, ultimately, 'time' does not exist. The only thing that does exist is the entire set of data, the state of the universe and memory, that only exists concurrently now. What we call time is the relationships between pieces of information, but that information can only exist in the current moment. Time is just the organization of the information that exists in the now.

It is more complex, because you "loose" use of the term "now" implements (or at least suggest) that there is something like an "universal time".

OrderAndChaos30 wrote:
After all, how would we know if the universe just 'poofed' into 'existence' five seconds ago with all memories and history coming into existence then?

Possible - like the "pink unicorn" or that god created the radioactive decay and the fossils 6000 years ago to fool at the atheist to have better reason to burn those in hell ...

oomogi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2009, 11:14 pm

i believe time is an arbitrary system of measurement humans have created to make their lives more comprehenseble by measuring one event to another, too many restraints and restrictions associated with time. time is one human boundry my eternal nature enjoys crossing

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Mar 2009, 11:23 pm

Atomsk wrote:
Time doesn't exist, clocks exist. Discuss

Actually it's the other way around. Clocks were made by man to track time.

The former things have passed away."

OrderAndChaos30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2009, 11:46 pm

Dussel wrote:
It is more complex, because you "loose" use of the term "now" implements (or at least suggest) that there is something like an "universal time".

True, it is more complex then that. Its more there is no 'go back' in 'time' as if its a number line or direction all there is is the present data set, the 'evidence' of a 'past'.

OrderAndChaos30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2009, 11:53 pm

Dussel wrote:
Possible - like the "pink unicorn" or that god created the radioactive decay and the fossils 6000 years ago to fool at the atheist to have better reason to burn those in hell ...

Gotta love fundamentalists . . . LOL!

But what is life is more like a story. The story starts at the start of the book, while an entire world with a history and such is needed for the story to play out in. Where does the history of this 'world' exist before the first page of the book?

Fun with existential conundrums . . . :-)

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 7:08 am

OrderAndChaos30 wrote:
Dussel wrote:

But what is life is more like a story. The story starts at the start of the book, while an entire world with a history and such is needed for the story to play out in. Where does the history of this 'world' exist before the first page of the book?

Let say: I would suppose the thesis that all the universe would came into existence 1/10 of a millisecond ago and all my memories, everything surrounding me etc. were created in this moment. There is no way to prove the opposite.

At the end such speculations are fine and entertaining for an evening with some friends and some bottles of wine, but for the rest of the time we better struck with the evidences we have.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 7:36 am

Dussel wrote:
OrderAndChaos30 wrote:
Dussel wrote:

Let say: I would suppose the thesis that all the universe would came into existence 1/10 of a millisecond ago and all my memories, everything surrounding me etc. were created in this moment. There is no way to prove the opposite.

At the end such speculations are fine and entertaining for an evening with some friends and some bottles of wine, but for the rest of the time we better struck with the evidences we have.

That goes hand in hand with the solopsist view of the world. The world and all that it in it is simply the manifestation of your imagination. The solopsist view cannot be disproved logically but no one really believes it.

Ignore this posting: it is just your imagination working overtime.

Between Last Tuesday-ism and Solopsism, nothing really exists except the Mind of God.

ruveyn

SpazzDog
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2009, 7:59 am

IF time doesn't exist, then what the hell are clocks measuring?

OrderAndChaos30 wrote:
But as I see it, ultimately, 'time' does not exist. The only thing that does exist is the entire set of data, the state of the universe and memory, that only exists concurrently now.

How can there a exist a "concurrently now" if time doesn't exist to begin with?

Quote:
What we call time is the relationships between pieces of information, but that information can only exist in the current moment.

That is the definition of time, essentially. Take any physics class and time always boils down to one fact: Rate of change of a system. It was one way at second s1 and another at second s2.

Quote:
Time is just the organization of the information that exists in the now.

Okay, so time doesn't exist, it's just an organization of information that exists at any given moment. But isn't that what time actully is? The rate of change of a system? It makes no sense to say "time doesn't exist. Time is simply this" when you don't care to mention what the allegedly wrong definition of time is. You then give it an arbitrary definition to simply redefine it from a previously undefined definition. Yet, giving it that redefinition reasserts its very existence. So in other words, you went in a big circle simply to say that time doesn't exist and then to say it does and thus contradicting yourself.

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2010, 9:42 am

i like that. i say "time doesn't exist" and people look at me like i'm insane. adding that clever bit after helps a lot!

time only exists to us right now (in this time frame!) which is rather cyclical and therefore sort of subject to serious suspicion. at the same time, since we can only be here right now, our understanding and labeling of time as such is perfectly understandable.

however, i tell people it does not exist because to me, to my brain every nanosecond already exists and in some sense... happens all at once. "time" is a word to describe the entire flow of individual units, perpetually existing all at the same time. time is singular, and fundamentally isn't broken down into such minute increments.

however, it seems that, per our understanding of all things around us, theories are at war with one another. there are several examples of two opposing theories that are both true even though that is seemingly impossible. (say quantum vs classical mechanics). i am definitely not a physicist by any means however.

therefore if time exists as units, then time is not seconds and nanoseconds, it can and should be broken down further and further. who can possibly say where it should stop being broken down.

in the end, we are only able to crudely use and understand time. i wish i could be alive thousands of years into the future so i could understand more and more regarding the true nature of concepts such as time. will there ever be any end to what we can learn of it? will we ever have ALL the answers?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran