Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2009, 5:59 am

I sometimes see people who aren't there. It might just be a darting shadow in the corner of my vision or a complete person (color, shape, facial features) in front of me. This usually happens in the dark, but sometimes I see them in well light rooms. If it's dark, they're more likely to look like shadows, but with depth and sometimes facial features. If the room is well lit, they are more likely to look like real people, with colored clothes, hairstyles, facial features, etc. They only appear for 5-10 seconds. They don't talk to me or anything so at least I'm not completely crazy.

I've never heard anyone else talk about seeing things like this, so I don't know if this happens to everyone from time to time or if it has anything to do with Asperger's or what.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 6:40 am

I do too but I shake them from my mind. Sometimes they look like mythological creatures, other times they look like people, sort of serial killer like.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 6:52 am

OddballBen wrote:
I sometimes see people who aren't there. It might just be a darting shadow in the corner of my vision or a complete person (color, shape, facial features) in front of me. This usually happens in the dark, but sometimes I see them in well light rooms. If it's dark, they're more likely to look like shadows, but with depth and sometimes facial features. If the room is well lit, they are more likely to look like real people, with colored clothes, hairstyles, facial features, etc. They only appear for 5-10 seconds. They don't talk to me or anything so at least I'm not completely crazy.

I've never heard anyone else talk about seeing things like this, so I don't know if this happens to everyone from time to time or if it has anything to do with Asperger's or what.

i do not think it has to do with AS. but i have had (very rarely) hypnagogic dreams where i am totally convinced i am awake, and i even hit myself to make sure, and then go on to see dead people who i knew were once alive. they appear so real and sharply defined, that i know i could not have the imagination to dream them in my brain.

but for you i guess it may be a more serious matter if you see people who are not there when you are awake.
it may be an excessive "personification" of unexplained details thing.
like if you are not concentrating in the periphery of your vision, and there is a shadow that flits by there, then your mind may personify that unexplained visual disturbance into a human presence.

i think it is in need of further appraisal by a professional.
i would be very worried if i was seeing people who were not there if i was not asleep.

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2009, 8:32 am

b9 wrote:
i do not think it has to do with AS. but i have had (very rarely) hypnagogic dreams where i am totally convinced i am awake, and i even hit myself to make sure, and then go on to see dead people who i knew were once alive. they appear so real and sharply defined, that i know i could not have the imagination to dream them in my brain.

but for you i guess it may be a more serious matter if you see people who are not there when you are awake.
it may be an excessive "personification" of unexplained details thing.
like if you are not concentrating in the periphery of your vision, and there is a shadow that flits by there, then your mind may personify that unexplained visual disturbance into a human presence.

i think it is in need of further appraisal by a professional.
i would be very worried if i was seeing people who were not there if i was not asleep.

I know that it's not in my peripheral vision. A couple weeks ago I was standing in the middle of a dark room and there was a person standing about two feet directly in front of me. This particular hallucination happened to be a girl, about 5'6", mid length black hair (It was a shadow one, so I guess it could have been any color and still appear black) and no facial features. She stood completely still there for about 4 seconds until I turned around to hit a light switch. It was kind of creepy.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 8:39 am

well i have no idea. i have never hallucinated. i think you certainly need to discuss your visions with a professional.

i know you infer they are not influential, but your belief in them is a dangerous thing in that you may start to listen to them if they talk.

i really have no idea and i am sorry i posted in your thread.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 8:56 am

Do you see them only in one area, or does it happen in various places?

If it's only in one area, especially if it's particularly one room it could be a reaction to something in that environment. I watch a lot of paranormal shows (ie Ghost hunters ect..) and some people are really sensitive to high electromagnetic fields that leak from bad wiring. It could cause hallucinations, among other things. There's a lot of people that think they're house is haunted when it really isn't due to high EMF. Just a thought.

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2009, 9:14 am

b9 wrote:
well i have no idea. i have never hallucinated. i think you certainly need to discuss your visions with a professional.

i know you infer they are not influential, but your belief in them is a dangerous thing in that you may start to listen to them if they talk.

i really have no idea and i am sorry i posted in your thread.

Don't worry about it. I didn't post here looking for expert or medical advice or anything.

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2009, 9:16 am

serenity wrote:

If it's only in one area, especially if it's particularly one room it could be a reaction to something in that environment. I watch a lot of paranormal shows (ie Ghost hunters ect..) and some people are really sensitive to high electromagnetic fields that leak from bad wiring. It could cause hallucinations, among other things. There's a lot of people that think they're house is haunted when it really isn't due to high EMF. Just a thought.

I don't know anything about that. I doubt my house is haunted though. I'm probably just a crazy person. :D

EDIT: I noticed your screen name is serenity, are you a browncoat?

Last edited by OddballBen on 06 Mar 2009, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 9:18 am

serenity wrote:

Oooh Ghost Hunters and GHI! The original Ghost Hunters show's new season begins next Wednesday and I can't wait. GHI last night was pretty cool as well. Krystin Gartland (not sure if I'm spelling her name right) from Ghost Hunters was one of many guest speakers at a paranormal conference here in my city last weekend. I wanted to go, but at $50/person I chose not to.

OP: I would definitely mention it to a professional, because there is a chance of the above, but there is also a chance that a lot of stress is causing you to see things. Onset of schizophrenia I would assume is also a possibility, though I certainly don't want to say that not being a professional myself! My mother has had similar experiences in the past and she swears she saw ghosts. I don't know, don't care, I just know it would really bother me to be seeing people who aren't really there.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 9:22 am

OddballBen wrote:
serenity wrote:

I don't know anything about that. I doubt my house is haunted though. I'm probably just a crazy person. :D

I didn't mean that your house is haunted. I was just asking if that was the only place that you saw these shadows/people. If it is then I was just giving you an alternative explanation (environmental causes). Sometimes, there's a few things that can cause symptoms like that that have nothing to do with your sanity or haunting.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 9:28 am

OddballBen wrote:
EDIT: I noticed your screen name is serenity, are you a browncoat?

What's a browncoat? I got my sn off of a Godsmack song that I really like.

sbcmetroguy I didn't know about the new season coming up! I have my DVR set to record all new episodes, so I can't wait.

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2009, 9:39 am

A browncoat is a fan of the tv series Firefly and its spin-off movie Serenity. Or a nazi stormtrooper... but mostly they're Firefly fans.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 9:51 am

OddballBen wrote:
A browncoat is a fan of the tv series Firefly and its spin-off movie Serenity. Or a nazi stormtrooper... but mostly they're Firefly fans.

:lol: I've never seen the movie, but my first thought was "Isn't a browncoat a type of nazi soldier?"

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2009, 10:41 am

b9 wrote:

I've been like that. Today I swore I was awake and I was looking at my clock and it was 7:50 AM(very late for getting to school) and then I'm woken up at 7:16 AM xD.
I use to hallucinate when I was younger but now I only hear things like foot steps and taps running at night.
EMZ=]

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 11:35 am

I see and hear things too, some are so real that I have a hard time believing it was a illusion because I was the only person in the group to see it. I don't mention them to people anymore because I don't want them to think I am nuts. The things I see don't seem harmful, so I ignore them most of the time.

I have not seen anything for a long time anyway, so they could be gone now anyway.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 12:13 pm

I only ever had one proper hallucination, around 1981. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a woman sitting by my bed, watching over me. Now a friend of mine called Julie often used to sleep on my floor overnight (although she'd always let me know in advance), and I thought it must be her, so I said, "Julie, what are you doing here?" - and the hallucination faded and was gone. If I'd been a Catholic I'd maybe have thought it was the Virgin Mary. As it was, it just scared me. I'd stopped believing in ghosts years before. The woman seemed completely benign and benevolent, and had the air of somebody kindly watching over a sick friend, but it just seemed so real that it freaked me out. She looked a little like the woman in the Mona Lisa painting, so did Julie. It felt very close to a supernatural experience, but I'd been messing with soft drugs and also had a fair bit of emotional trauma in my life at the time, so I've always felt that it was very weak evidence of anything paranormal. I'd have no doubt felt somewhat in need of a guardian angel during those times, so I figure my mind maybe just gave me what I craved.

I've had "hypnagogic hallucinations" which are simply the effect of my deliberately waking myself up rapidly from a dream - the "hallucination" is only visible in the dark or with closed eyes, and I figure it happens because the visual dreaming apparatus in the brain hasn't quite shut down, because of the sudden awakening. But this was something else. I'd woken naturally from dreamless sleep and had my eyes open in a not-very-dark room.

I've had auditory hallucinations quite often, though they've always been music and noises, never voices, and they've never scared me because they vanish as soon as I realise they're happening, and they're more like ordinary daydreams, they seem quite natural and quite harmless.