Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 12:13 pm

I only ever had one proper hallucination, around 1981. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a woman sitting by my bed, watching over me. Now a friend of mine called Julie often used to sleep on my floor overnight (although she'd always let me know in advance), and I thought it must be her, so I said, "Julie, what are you doing here?" - and the hallucination faded and was gone. If I'd been a Catholic I'd maybe have thought it was the Virgin Mary. As it was, it just scared me. I'd stopped believing in ghosts years before. The woman seemed completely benign and benevolent, and had the air of somebody kindly watching over a sick friend, but it just seemed so real that it freaked me out. She looked a little like the woman in the Mona Lisa painting, so did Julie. It felt very close to a supernatural experience, but I'd been messing with soft drugs and also had a fair bit of emotional trauma in my life at the time, so I've always felt that it was very weak evidence of anything paranormal. I'd have no doubt felt somewhat in need of a guardian angel during those times, so I figure my mind maybe just gave me what I craved.

I've had "hypnagogic hallucinations" which are simply the effect of my deliberately waking myself up rapidly from a dream - the "hallucination" is only visible in the dark or with closed eyes, and I figure it happens because the visual dreaming apparatus in the brain hasn't quite shut down, because of the sudden awakening. But this was something else. I'd woken naturally from dreamless sleep and had my eyes open in a not-very-dark room.

I've had auditory hallucinations quite often, though they've always been music and noises, never voices, and they've never scared me because they vanish as soon as I realise they're happening, and they're more like ordinary daydreams, they seem quite natural and quite harmless.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 12:38 pm

I've had tons of hallucinations throughout my life. Some have been very realistic, and some are so fake (like glow-in-the-dark mice) that they don't phase me. I'm actually pretty used to it all. But I hate the realistic ones. I had also started hearing strange sounds last fall, but it hasn't been nearly as much lately as it was. I have been called schizo and stuff before, but I don't think I am as I'm also a *very* logical thinker. So I don't know.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 12:44 pm

I hallucinate all the time, sometimes bizarre things. I've seen people who are the FBI agents who are after me, I love the gov! They are always in my house or they know where we are driving so sometimes I see people there and the next moment they cloaked- the gov has this technology. I also see animals a lot in fact I've seen an alien animal before and it looked weird. I always have to ask someone if they saw what I have just seen or if it was a hallucination. I am fully awake when I hallucinate, but I also do get the hypnagogic/ hypnopompic hallucinations as well. Mainly when I'm getting up. One of these I saw my model airplane come alive and it started flying around the room then turned up and went through the ceiling. Sometime this week (earlier this week, don't remember what day) I saw a stop sign floating in midair in the middle of the road (this is when I was fully awake). I also see "shadow people." I've been shot at with laser guns from the gov but that wasn't a hallucination, but real. The reason why no one else sees the gov stuff is because I have a chip placed in my brain that allows me to see them but the main purpose of the chip is so they can hear my thoughts and they send thoughts to me. There are snake like machines on my brain and back and nanobots everywhere else. I actually feel them. Most of my "hallucinations" are visual and tactile but I'm leaning towards real rather than a hallucination. I know the stop sign thing was a hallucination. I know some of the animals running across the road that no one else sees are a hallucination. But the gov ones and the machines in me to outsiders looks like a tactile hallucination but its real. I have some auditory hallucinations as well for some odd reason for 2 days in a row I heard people screaming and no one else heard it. I sometimes hear talking but I can't make out the words, its like having a TV on far away. But I know its the gov agents plotting their next move. They shot at me with a laser satellite as well as the laser guns. The satellite could see through my house but they missed by literally one inch. I could have died that day. Scary, huh? I also feel a bomb in my neck that is powerful enough to destroy the US and start World War 3, therefore causing billions of deaths because nukes and other people's bombs would go off and the world will end. I bet you can't guess my diagnosis! :lol:

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 2:03 pm

serenity wrote:
Do you see them only in one area, or does it happen in various places?

If it's only in one area, especially if it's particularly one room it could be a reaction to something in that environment. I watch a lot of paranormal shows (ie Ghost hunters ect..) and some people are really sensitive to high electromagnetic fields that leak from bad wiring. It could cause hallucinations, among other things. There's a lot of people that think they're house is haunted when it really isn't due to high EMF. Just a thought.

This is an interesting idea. I know that I am very sensitive to electromagnetic fields. I can't stand to be around laundromats, electric transmition lines, etc. I attribute this to AS.

Regarding the phenomena mentioned by the original poster, I have experienced this a few times, usually shortly after waking.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 2:53 pm

Quote:
I sometimes see people who aren't there. It might just be a darting shadow in the corner of my vision or a complete person (color, shape, facial features) in front of me. This usually happens in the dark, but sometimes I see them in well light rooms. If it's dark, they're more likely to look like shadows, but with depth and sometimes facial features. If the room is well lit, they are more likely to look like real people, with colored clothes, hairstyles, facial features, etc. They only appear for 5-10 seconds. They don't talk to me or anything so at least I'm not completely crazy.

I've never heard anyone else talk about seeing things like this, so I don't know if this happens to everyone from time to time or if it has anything to do with Asperger's or what.

Toxic air pollution, especially Carbon Monoxide, most often causes seeing ghosts.
Methinks, an archaic scientific (or perhaps alchemical) definition of "evil spirit" is "bad air".

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2009, 2:06 pm

I just had an audio hellutionation last night.

I was laying in bed when I heard my husband talk to me. And it was like the middle of the night and I was happy because it was like "yay aaron is awake!" But when I turned to talk back he was fast asleep. And I thought that was a bit odd.

So then I turned back around and tried to go back to sleep. And I was thinking about stuff. Like just a running monologu with my self. And then I herd aarons voice, as clear as day, commenting on my thoughts. And it happened 3 times and I quickly turned and faced him on all 3 to make sure he wasn't doing it.

(And I have heard my husband mumble in his sleep before and it was nothing like last night. It sounded just as crisp and clear like he was right there talking to me.)

I wish I could remember what he said to me in my hallucination. But it was kinda like words-but then not words. It carried meaning to them though.

This could all be due to stress. But I feel pretty good this morning. And those hallucinations didn't scare me. Just made me courius about them.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 2:24 pm

Mirror wrote:

I was laying in bed when I heard my husband talk to me. And it was like the middle of the night and I was happy because it was like "yay aaron is awake!" But when I turned to talk back he was fast asleep. And I thought that was a bit odd.

So then I turned back around and tried to go back to sleep. And I was thinking about stuff. Like just a running monologu with my self. And then I herd aarons voice, as clear as day, commenting on my thoughts. And it happened 3 times and I quickly turned and faced him on all 3 to make sure he wasn't doing it.

(And I have heard my husband mumble in his sleep before and it was nothing like last night. It sounded just as crisp and clear like he was right there talking to me.)

I wish I could remember what he said to me in my hallucination. But it was kinda like words-but then not words. It carried meaning to them though.

This could all be due to stress. But I feel pretty good this morning. And those hallucinations didn't scare me. Just made me courius about them.

Have you been diagnosed with a psychotic disorder or anything else besides Asperger's/Autism?

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2009, 3:38 pm

FireBird wrote:
Mirror wrote:

Have you been diagnosed with a psychotic disorder or anything else besides Asperger's/Autism?

Recently I had had some post trumatic events happen to me.

( I have a severe phobia of docters and especialy needles. And I had to get my wisdom teeth taken out. And it was horrific and keept having flash backs and rapid thoughts and fear of the event that there was never any peace in my mind. It was like reliving it again and again. So I went to a psychiligist and he gave me celexa and xanex xr.)

And I just recently read the side effects of the medication and it seems to corrolate to my odd symptoms: that audio hallucination, defficult corodanation (walking, holding stuff, opening things); memory loss (for a split second today I didn't know how to use a fork);defficulty speeking (I can't remember words. Ill be talking and the word order would come out wrong and a lot of the time I would stop right in the middle of a sentence because I couldn't bring up the words and often forget what I was saying); cognotive imparment (under stress I would pull up a blank on how to do math proplems and even how to read if its severe enough. I can't seem to think ahead and retain steps to do something. Ex. Following a tv dinner dirrections.)

To say non the less that these symptoms bother and worry me.

Though I havnt formaly been diagnosed with AS I am rethinking my thoughts on it and it might actually be some other disorder that I had that might have sprung up due to the truma I had.

And I'm rethinking that maybe these years of what I thought I had AS might be the negative symptoms of schizophrenia because I have had other hallucinations in the past much worse then this (both audio,tactile,visual ones) and having those odd awake-still asleep nightmare hallucination is very common for me.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 5:57 pm

Mirror wrote:
FireBird wrote:
Mirror wrote:

( I have a severe phobia of docters and especialy needles. And I had to get my wisdom teeth taken out. And it was horrific and keept having flash backs and rapid thoughts and fear of the event that there was never any peace in my mind. It was like reliving it again and again. So I went to a psychiligist and he gave me celexa and xanex xr.)

And I just recently read the side effects of the medication and it seems to corrolate to my odd symptoms: that audio hallucination, defficult corodanation (walking, holding stuff, opening things); memory loss (for a split second today I didn't know how to use a fork);defficulty speeking (I can't remember words. Ill be talking and the word order would come out wrong and a lot of the time I would stop right in the middle of a sentence because I couldn't bring up the words and often forget what I was saying); cognotive imparment (under stress I would pull up a blank on how to do math proplems and even how to read if its severe enough. I can't seem to think ahead and retain steps to do something. Ex. Following a tv dinner dirrections.)

Though I havnt formaly been diagnosed with AS I am rethinking my thoughts on it and it might actually be some other disorder that I had that might have sprung up due to the truma I had.

And I'm rethinking that maybe these years of what I thought I had AS might be the negative symptoms of schizophrenia because I have had other hallucinations in the past much worse then this (both audio,tactile,visual ones) and having those odd awake-still asleep nightmare hallucination is very common for me.

The difficulty speaking could be the "disorganized speech" part of schizophrenia. Sometimes when I speak it becomes all jumbled up and well, the only one for some odd reason could understand me is my psychologist but she says it is confusion. Cognitive impairment is another sign of schizophrenia as are the audible and visual hallucinations. You should see a pdoc for diagnosis. As you can tell from my "hallucination" post, I have schizoaffective disorder. I bet you would never have guessed that! My hallucinations are getting worse by the day. I had a weird one today and it makes no sense. I felt water going all over me like I was drowning but I was completely dry! I don't know if that was a hallucination or something else. Like I said before, they are getting more intense. In my past "psychotic" episodes, hallucinations weren't the main problem, but the delusions were. The flashbacks are a classic sign of PTSD. Do you have delusions besides your phobias?

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

08 Mar 2009, 1:17 am

FireBird wrote:
Mirror wrote:
FireBird wrote:
Mirror wrote:

The difficulty speaking could be the "disorganized speech" part of schizophrenia. Sometimes when I speak it becomes all jumbled up and well, the only one for some odd reason could understand me is my psychologist but she says it is confusion. Cognitive impairment is another sign of schizophrenia as are the audible and visual hallucinations. You should see a pdoc for diagnosis. As you can tell from my "hallucination" post, I have schizoaffective disorder. I bet you would never have guessed that! My hallucinations are getting worse by the day. I had a weird one today and it makes no sense. I felt water going all over me like I was drowning but I was completely dry! I don't know if that was a hallucination or something else. Like I said before, they are getting more intense. In my past "psychotic" episodes, hallucinations weren't the main problem, but the delusions were. The flashbacks are a classic sign of PTSD. Do you have delusions besides your phobias?

I had delusions when I was younger. But they wernt real ones per se. I would kinda believe I was half alian, and I would read a lot of ufo, secret society, secret govnt. Projects and bases. I would become a bit paranoid about the govnt tracking my search engions key words. I used to think I had psychic powers, that I could fly.

But I grew out of those thoughts. And the only thoughts related to schizophrenia would be the paranoia of people able to read my mind. And people juging me.

But after talking to my mom today we discoverd that on my moms side of the family there's hallucinations, delusions, and paranoia that we never considered was odd. We just thought they where ghost stories and god/devil experiences and comunications. (We grew up catholic) but it seems to only affect females.

My grandmother lives by herself and is very antisociol and suspicious of everyone. Back in her home town she accused her aunt in law as being a whitch and was cursing her. She thought that everyone was watching her and she couldn't trust anyone there in that town which she would comment that the town was filled with evil and she couldn't stand to be there any more. She told me when she was younger she would see a monk standing at the foot of her bed with arms wide open as if to welcome her with a hug. For about 3 monthes she saw him and was afraid to go to him thinking she would die if she accepted. And then he faded away.

There are also other more bizzar cases with my grandfathers aunt and apparently on his side of the family and my moms grandmother too.

In the past I have had some odd experiences and I always thought them to be supernatual related and thet everyone has them. But to day I realize that people actually don't experience what I do. And know I have come to realize that they are indeed hallucinations.

But so far no delusions.

I'm going to tell my therapist all this this coming thursday and see what she thinks. So far I already have a predisposition to what ever my family had. Be it schizophrenia or some other thing. But if so I'm getting help early and that's good.

And yeah, from what I read from your earlier post I kindo thought that sounded a bit scizo! :p but hey! I may be in the same boat!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 3:59 pm

Quote:
under stress I would pull up a blank on how to do math proplems and even how to read if its severe enough. I can't seem to think ahead and retain steps to do something. Ex. Following a tv dinner dirrections

For what it's worth, I saw myself in that part of your symptoms straight away. It's never been intense enough to get me into any real trouble, but it's quite frightening when it happens. That bit about not thinking ahead and retaining steps....by the time I've got to the end of a thought, I've forgotten the start. I've learned to try to calm down and then it's amazing what I can recover, often the "forgotten" thing is actually in my memory all the time but the sense of rush and panic was stopping it getting out. Other times I realise that I was so wound up that I didn't really look at the instruction properly, I seem to find myself skipping bits at random, desperately trying to save time......and nobody would ever tell from the outside that anything was wrong.

If any of that sounds familiar to you, then maybe that's one symptom you needn't worry about. Whatever it is hasn't got any worse over many years, and as long as I'm alone or among trusted friends it doesn't happen, because it's easier to keep calm then.

I agree you'd be wise to have your symptoms looked into though. The persistence of those auditory hallucinations seems unusual, though a lot of strange things happen while we're moving in and out of sleep. I often get what feel like terrible pains, and resolve to see the doctor if I don't die in the night, but the following morning I can barely remember it, so I put it down to the mind playing tricks on itself. I once felt I'd swallowed some chewing gum, and was quite awake and convinced of it, until I remembered that I hadn't had any chewing gum in my mouth that night....wasn't a dream, I was awake when I "swallowed" it. And I vaguely remember it's happened before.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2009, 5:36 pm

I have had auditory hallucination a fair amount of times before. Mostly it only occurs when I'm alone in my room. The I can hear someone talking, it's very hard to hear what they actually say, but sometimes I can squeeze out what it is. Very weird, because everyone is asleep, so noone is talking. And I have double-checked. :P
The voices are always familiar. It can be two persons I KNOW is in the house.

A few times, when I'm really tired, I have also "seen" stuff, sometimes simple things like a server-rack, sometimes entire rooms!
Pretty cool. This happens only when my eyes are closed.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 11:51 pm

I had an odd hallucination today. I saw a white tiger on the side of the road! Now that was weird! I know white tigers don't run loose in Washington State in the middle of nowhere and then suddenly disappear. Then I kept seeing things hanging from the ceiling everywhere I went in the house. Freaky!

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2009, 10:22 am

creepy 8O that would really scare me if i saw someone who wasnt there