Another hate group rises in the guise of "support group

Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 3:36 pm

Without spending hours on this, I see an awful lot of information at that site about making the relationship WORK, what you need to know to stay IN it, and keep things positive for all parties. The workshop they are advertising with Attwood is recommended for BOTH partners - the one with AS and the one without.

I know that many of these groups ARE just excuses for one parties failure to do their part, or an attritubtion of an entirely different problem (abuse) to the identified existance of AS, but could there be another layer there? An ATTEMPT at helping people figure it out?

Once a person enters into a relationship, whether they are NT or AS or something else, they do have a duty to try and understand the other's needs. A two way street, that each couple must work out for themselves.

To the extend any organization works agaisnt that, I'll oppose them. To the extent they wish to work towards that, I think they are worthwhile.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 3:40 pm

A lot of times people will bring how they were raised into the relationship, too, and sometimes they learn maladaptive coping strategies. There are many variables to consider before saying the reason a relationship is lousy is because one or both might have AS.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:06 pm

That described my mother perfectly. Still, they should focus on the positives and not just the negatives.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:12 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Once a person enters into a relationship, whether they are NT or AS or something else, they do have a duty to try and understand the other's needs. A two way street, that each couple must work out for themselves.

That's true but often people get married for other reasons. In certain parts of the world it's more about being a "life partner" and is based on similarities and if the couple's families like the partners and mesh well.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:33 pm

The sadest part of all this is that it scares off the people whose ideal second half is an aspie. For me, I would rather marry an aspie than an NT, even though I would probably be better off with an NT that would enjoy my presence, noting that it is not that any NT would be able to enjoy me more, its that if the NT could enjoy me, and on top of that be NT, I could gain much more from that. But my preference is another aspie, because she would be able to understand me better.