Total votes : 61

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 12:49 pm

ruveyn wrote:
SamAckary wrote:
connor wrote:
i really dont care. my philosophy is if it does not directly affect me why should i care? and i agree a fetus is a potential person it is not conciously aware till farther along the line, so to speak. i am an atheist so that may influence this but hey, im mr logic

connor, just a hint, never bring logic into a religious arguement, it doesn't help :P

Yes it does. It shows that religion is intellectually bankrupt. Fit only idiots and young children.

ruveyn

Well, your attitude certainly doesn't help.

SamAckary
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2009, 1:15 pm

Henriksson wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
SamAckary wrote:
connor wrote:
i really dont care. my philosophy is if it does not directly affect me why should i care? and i agree a fetus is a potential person it is not conciously aware till farther along the line, so to speak. i am an atheist so that may influence this but hey, im mr logic

connor, just a hint, never bring logic into a religious arguement, it doesn't help :P

Yes it does. It shows that religion is intellectually bankrupt. Fit only idiots and young children.

ruveyn

Well, your attitude certainly doesn't help.

I have to agree, as much as I do think that religion is stupid, its just bringing up logical arguements usually don't come into the atheists favour, depending of course on how overtly religious the person is, i've noticed if they are less religious they seem to realise, even if not fully, that what you say is logical, but for example, when talking with a christian at my school and pointing out that in the christian belief the universe should be more good than evil due to the god > devil thing, but he refused to listen, he just said that it is balanced and that I should read the bible, which wasn't any part of what I was saying

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2009, 5:22 pm

I've got a question for anyone who is prolife and wants to make abortion illegal:

I've helped scores of women get abortions. Whether it's directing them to the local planned parenthood, advising them on finding an abortion doctor, or giving them transportation to the clinic through a friend or trusted someone, as well as volunteering at said clinics. In your point of view then, if you had your way on abortion's legality, would I be arrested and put in jail as an accomplice to murder? Just rather curious.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 5:38 pm

Bluestocking wrote:
I've helped scores of women get abortions.
:?:

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 7:55 pm

Bluestocking wrote:
I've helped scores of women get abortions.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Quote:
In your point of view then, if you had your way on abortion's legality, would I be arrested and put in jail as an accomplice to murder? Just rather curious.

No.

Two reasons: First, given that society in general has no problem with it and doesn't consider the fetus to be human (and that you agree with society in general) means that you don't think it's wrong. Second, the law allows it now, so any future law that might ban it is not yet in effect. (Retroactive laws are a really bad idea.)