Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Space
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 1:19 am

Anyone here involved in the mining industry? I have gotten interested in it lately. It is a very volatile industry, but looks very lucrative.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 2:07 am

I saw something ages ago on tv about mining oil sands in Canada and people were earning really good money. Not many people wanted to work there because it was cold and isolated.

But the price of oil has really dropped lately so maybe things have changed.

fullfathomfive
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Mar 2009, 4:31 am

Depends where you are, the arse has seemingly dropped out the mining industry here in Australia, lots of layoffs at the moment, although that's no different from anywhere at this point in time.

We can only hope that economic recovery comes soon and we will all get lucrative jobs, but it seems like a tough area to break into at the best of times, I have thought about it but not sure how I would go being out in a a camp for a couple of weeks at a time, it could be very tough for some aspies being away from familiar surroundings.

Having said that though, if it is something you are passionate about doing, then it is worthwhile going for it and not getting discouraged, times are tough at the moment but getting in now will put you in a good spot when things pick up again.

john

Space
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 1:47 pm

There is a lot of diamond and resource mining in my region, but it has slowed like you said due to the economy (it is volatile). I was thinking of trying to get into oil/gas drilling and if I can handle that, then in a few years and after getting trained as a driller, try and get into diamond drilling because it's so lucrative.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 9:02 pm

Space wrote:
Anyone here involved in the mining industry? I have gotten interested in it lately. It is a very volatile industry, but looks very lucrative.

Gold mining is very lucrative when the price is up. If you are in the US, the place to go is northeast Nevada. It's a desert, and you're hundreds of miles from nowhere, and it's freezing cold in the winter and boiling hot in the summer, and the cost of living is high, but it pays well.

http://www.elkojobsearch.com/

http://www.elkodaily.com/ (the local newspaper)

Winnemucca also has a job website, but I can't remember the url. Something like winnemuccaworks.com.

Most gold mining is open pit, so cave ins are rare. There's also copper mining in Ely.