Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2009, 1:39 am

is anyone elses eyes overly sensitive to bright light, but you don't like to wear sunglasses because it "distorts" the visual real word for you.(colors are how I see things, and identify them, so if I wear sunglasses, it is usually tinted in one color so it makes everything look shades of that color, thus confusing to me)
When I drive, I raise my seat up as high as it will go, and put my sunvisor down. My husband always wonders why I have my sunvisor down when there is no sunlight directly in my eyes(ex: driving into the sunset) Do they make such a thing as "clear" sunglasses that block out the harmful rays buy allow you to see true color and make it not so bright? I also like dim light in rooms. In my bathroom, there is a vanity with room for four lightbulbs. I unscrew 3 of them so they wont go on and only use one 60 wt. bulb for light. This drives my husband crazy. It really hurts my eyes to go in there and turn on the light to this blazing glow of 4-60wt bulbs shining in my eyes. even two is too much. I also hate the "new" energy efficient light bulbs. They have this horrendous bright blue glow that hurt my eyes and It makes the room feel so cold. My husband and I had an issue about that too. I took the light bulb, and hide it so he couldn't put it back in. I told him if he bought another one, I would throw it away. He just doen't seem to understand.

Xay
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Mar 2009, 1:53 am

I prefer low light, and I cannot stand fluorescent lights. I'll usually turn on a single lamp in a room at night. I rarely turn on lights (or even open the blinds) during the day. I wish I had sunglasses, but I wear prescription eyeglasses; prescription sunglasses cost more than I'm willing to spend. 100 watt light bulbs are brighter than I would prefer, but I can deal if there's only one of them. My dad bought a bunch of energy efficient bulbs for the house, but my room still has incandescent bulbs because I visit my parents and often spend the night in my old bedroom. I also only use incandescent bulbs in my condo. Those energy efficient things are too similar to fluorescent bulbs for me.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 1:59 am

I hate bright lights also if they are shinging in my eyes, it gives me eye ache and sometimes head aches as well. I think that this is a common thing with aspies.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

08 Mar 2009, 2:01 am

I hate wearing sunglasses for the same reason. It just makes me feel blind if I can't see everything with my normal clarity and colour-range. On the other hand, my eyes do get overstimulated very easily. Especially with flourescent lights. But bright light of any sort is hard. Funnily enough, natural (bright) light is not as bad as artificial (bright) light. Maybe it's something to do with the spectrum of the light being radiated. I don't drive, so I can't relate to your comment about driving, but I know that I tend to look at the ground a lot when I'm walking, partly to cut out excess visual input (although the ground is a fascinating place...). I don't like supermarkets because the floor always shines with the reflected flourescent lights and I have nowhere to look that isn't bright.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 2:12 am

I wear my reading glasses everywhere because they soften everything that I see. I have difficulty read text on a tv screen with them, but I have less eye pain when I'm out in the sun, otherwise my eyes would sting. So, yes there are glasses that can help with light sensitivity.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 3:32 am

i wear sunglasses. lesser of two evils and the pain in and behind my eyes them is too much to handle without them.

as for flouro's....they should be banned.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2009, 8:15 pm

I have prescription glasses, so I would have to find clip ons ( I would rather have the magnetic kind) so that I could block out some of the overly bright light(but would still like to be able to see clearly, and see all of the colors). Wearing sunglasses(tinted) on a beatufiul sunny day is like looking at everything on a depressing rainy cloudy grey day.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 8:40 pm

I wear RX sunglasses. I don't have a choice. I wear them inside- sometimes - and on rainy days.

Polaroid (Bausch & Lomb) lenses still give you pretty accurate color.

I hear Bono has senstive eyes - which he wears the sunglasses everywhere.

If I couldn't wear sunglasses - I don't think I could go outside.

Do you ever feel as if your pupils dilate when its bright? I do. I look in the mirror and they are tiny - but they "feel" huge!

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 9:12 pm

I'm certainly hypersensitive to bright light.

I wear grey-tinted sunglasses that do not affect the color of things very much.

If I ever wear sunglasses that are, say, tinted an amber color, it totally freaks me out. I can't wear them.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 9:28 pm

Bright light really bothers me, but so does having stuff on my face. If I am not constantly weaing glasses, cept when sleeping, I will not be able to accept them on my face and just want to scratch my face to make the itchiness go away. I want to get transitions, as the light outside really bothers me, and I don't have huge issues inside, but would need to wear them constantly. Problem is, transitions are pricey, so unless I had a perscription, I wouldn't want to get them... But it might not be long before I end up needing a prescription anyways...

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 10:44 pm

Padium wrote:
Bright light really bothers me, but so does having stuff on my face. If I am not constantly weaing glasses, cept when sleeping, I will not be able to accept them on my face and just want to scratch my face to make the itchiness go away. I want to get transitions, as the light outside really bothers me, and I don't have huge issues inside, but would need to wear them constantly. Problem is, transitions are pricey, so unless I had a perscription, I wouldn't want to get them... But it might not be long before I end up needing a prescription anyways...

The thing about transitions - from my experience - is they never get all the way clear. So when you want them to look clear - they're kind of "Al Davis". (Hee hee - look it up under Ameerican football.)

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 10:58 pm

bright lights bother me too, i cant wear sunglasses either but not because of distorted vision it bothers my ears and nose to the point i scratch layers of skin off, so its like a lose/lose relationship there for me haha. i have to have some sort of shade around me at all times or ill even go the point of punching myself in the eyes. i cant wear a hat either lol i get too overstimulated weirdly and either meltdown or become so low functionin its like u cant take ur eye off of me, idk why either. anyways trying seeing u can buy a lot of outfits with hoods to black out some light, or do u have any problems with wearing hats? hoodies help me the most. another thing you can do is see if you can maybe transition the lighting so it doesnt affect u as easy, ever try light therapy? or even see if you can get a dimmer for most of your lights? anytways sorry i cant give ya better answers, i'm sorta in the same situation, good luck though!

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 11:14 pm

I can handle sunlight fine, but any light from florescent and led bulbs cause bad headaches

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 6:48 pm

i have hyper-sensitivity to light & the only sunglasses i have are purple, i could probably make do with those but i'd feel self-conscious (although sunglasses are "good" for that)

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 6:54 pm

I have it.

I sometimes end up not going to activities I like, because one of the following always happens

I end up staring at the floor or nearest dark surface

I ask permission to kill the lights, which pisses people off

I keep my dark lenses on. People take issue with me, and an argument ensues. Apparently, it's better for me to have a headache or discharging eyes, than for them to be mildly annoyed because they can't see nuances in my facial expression around my eyes.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 6:56 pm

I can't deal with sunlight, I have to stare at the ground, the sky looks white to me most of the time. I would get sunglasses but that'd look lame :lol: