Can an Access spreadsheet be viewed from a Google site?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Bea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2009, 3:33 pm

With the help of "Google Sites and Chrome for Dummies" I'm finally setting up a google site
for a peace center that has a lending library of books and DVDs. The inventory of all the books
and films is being entered into an Access spreadsheet, I think (they did say someting about a relational
database, but I don't know if that's the same thing.)

Is it possible to set up a page of the website so it's easy to view the most current version of the inventory
as it is continually updated without needing to continually upload the newest version to the website? Or link
to it in some way?

I've read that this is possible by using Google docs, but the people who keep the inventory want to keep
the program they're using.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 5:08 pm

depends on the version of Access. Anything 2003 or later has the ability to share viewing and interaction with the Web. Can't remember the exact procedure, but it should be available out on the web.

Worst, case; you could possible 'save as', and pick a web-friendly format.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 5:57 pm

Access doesn't do spread sheets. You are mixing up access with excel. Relational database is what it is (kind of :wink: )

Yes it is possible but not with google sites.

the google service you can use for your inventory/sales is

http://base.google.com/base/
http://base.google.com/support/

In Access you simply save to a suitable format such as tab delimited then upload to google base. Then on your site you can link to the product searches.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 10:12 am

my bad...I just automatically assumed 'database'...;) Excel 2003 can do it as well...heck, all the Office products after 2003 can do it, that I know of...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 12:59 pm

just becuase you can do it doesn't mean it is a good idea

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 8:11 pm

well, that's true...;) but if you work for a great big company, and all they let you play with is MS products...;)

I'm sure Open office might have something like a database, if you like.

If you had big bucks, you could go with something called SQL. Oracle is one brand, but we're talking professional-grade, car-prices software, etc.

Bea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2009, 8:04 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. Unfortunately, there are no funds for software. This is a 501(c)(3) non-profit group that has to scrape together all spare change every month just to pay the rent. We're hoping if we can get the contents of the library on the website so it's easy to view by visitors, we'll get more people coming to the Center to check out materials, and therefore will bring in more donations. For right now I've set up a "File Cabinet" page on the Google site so the librarian can create a link that opens a pdf version of her data - but she hasn't posted it yet, so I don't know if it will work. We'll find out.

I may be contacting you later with questions on those other options --