Rape victim gets excommuniated in Brazil

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 8:33 pm

I think it was in the news, but some yong girl who was raped by a guy, was eligible to have the child abhorted, they went on with it, but apparently that didn't please the South American church, who decided to excommuniate the girl and the whole medical team. Lula (the persident of the country, tell me if i'm wrong here cuz i might have mixed with another south american country) was ashamed that such conservatism was still present in his country. But wait, there's more! This story reached the capital where the archbishop responsible for that part of the world heard the thing... He was ok with the excommunication and for some odd reason, the guy who had raped the girl was NOT excommuniated (apparently abhortion is a bigger crime according to the law of god, than rape .... ). Comments please =/

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 9:00 pm

WTF?
why was the victim kicked out?
the guy that raped her should have been excommunicated.

09 Mar 2009, 9:01 pm

Does excommunicated mean kicked out of church and not welcome back?

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 9:08 pm

Yep.

cman_yall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2009, 9:14 pm

From what I read in the paper here in NZ, it was the mother and the medical team who got excommunicated. The girl (who was 9) was not, or at least it didn't say she was. And, again according to the article, abortion is legal in Brazil only in cases of rape, or if there are fears for the mother's life, and in this case it was both - the doctors were fairly sure that the 9 year old was too slim to survive carrying twins to term. One of the doctors was quoted as saying he would continue going to church anyway.

Quite frankly, this shows once again how far up it's own ass the Catholic Church has it's head... though I guess good on them for sticking to rigid doctrine and staying off the slippery slope of making exceptions, when if ever there was a reason for an exception, this is it.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 9:17 pm

Yep, that's what the press here is covering as well. Her father (stepfather) is on the run accused with rape, she was very young, she was carrying twins, proceeding with the pregnancy would have killed her, so the doctors performed an abortion. And the bishop (? some muckymuck in their organization) has excommunicated the mother and the medical team.

He'd rather the child died in agony, apparently. What a self-righteous ba##ard! And they wonder why people in the educated world bail out of the church in droves....

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 9:25 pm

phil777 wrote:
I think it was in the news, but some yong girl who was raped by a guy, was eligible to have the child abhorted, they went on with it, but apparently that didn't please the South American church, who decided to excommuniate the girl and the whole medical team. Lula (the persident of the country, tell me if i'm wrong here cuz i might have mixed with another south american country) was ashamed that such conservatism was still present in his country. But wait, there's more! This story reached the capital where the archbishop responsible for that part of the world heard the thing... He was ok with the excommunication and for some odd reason, the guy who had raped the girl was NOT excommuniated (apparently abhortion is a bigger crime according to the law of god, than rape .... ). Comments please =/

Understandable. The Catholic church also covers for it priests when they molest boys, so why is it such a surprise when they let a rapist go and excommunicate their victims when they get an abortion?

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 8:15 am

I've been thrown out of better places.

LosFrida
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2009, 12:19 am

Major kudos to the mom for doing the right thing.

http://www.matthewgood.org/2009/03/the- ... /#comments

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 12:23 am

cman_yall wrote:
Quite frankly, this shows once again how far up it's own ass the Catholic Church has it's head... though I guess good on them for sticking to rigid doctrine and staying off the slippery slope of making exceptions, when if ever there was a reason for an exception, this is it.

With "Benny the Enforcer" running the show, what else is there to expect?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Durp
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2009, 3:25 pm

I heard about this a few days ago, it makes me angry. I hate how the Catholic Church does things like this.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 3:39 pm

this story made me loose any remaining bits of respect that I had for Catholics. how can anyone be comfortable with being a part of an institution/cult that does such things? encourages letting 9-year old girls die for the sake of a stupid principle?

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 4:17 pm

The injustice that happens in this world is enough to make anyone sick.

oli234
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2009, 5:02 pm

It's very bad but proberly not the worst thing the Catholic church has ever done.

When the followers of st francis of assisi suggested that the church use their new found wealth to feed all of the peasants living in poverty in europe. They were burned alive for their suggestion.

That was centuries ago of course but how anybody can look to that institution for moral guidance is totally beyond me.

Last edited by oli234 on 11 Mar 2009, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 5:27 pm

They became corrupted with their own power and must be PURGED! :evil: :P

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 6:10 pm

The Catholic Church cares little for god, or his word but they do like to stay in power. So it does not surprise me one bit that one of the most corrupt and longest corrupted churches did such a thing even though it is against the teachings of the lord god's son.