Is This a Stupid Reason to Boycott a Movie?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2008
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 780

09 Mar 2009, 11:02 pm

You see, I have a really big problem regarding the way that Disney released the movie "Ratatouille". At first, when I watched the trailer, I thought "This looks pretty cool". But at the end, that's when Disney blew it...

...they put under the name of the movie, in parenthesis, how to phonetically PRONOUNCE the f***ing TITLE!! That really brought my blood to a boil! :evil:

I mean, children are NOT stupid! You'd think that if children asked their parents, or were corrected by their parents, they'd know how to pronounce 'ratatouille'. But no, Disney just spit in the face of childrens' intelligence levels!

Of course. my brother has a great argument for that: he says that these days, most adults are less intelligent as well. And that since children are the target audience for this movie, they normally wouldn't know how to pronounce the title unless phonetically helped.

Well, as my personal spit back on Disney, I INTENTIONALLY mispronounce that movie, as "Rat-a-tool", just to piss off my brother. :P

So, what are your thoughts, fellow aspies? Is this a stupid reason to boycott a movie or not?

Usagi1992



Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,779
Location: Right behind you...

09 Mar 2009, 11:31 pm

Yes, it is, because I would think of pronouncing it as 'rat-at-too-weel', not, as it seems, 'rat-at-tooie'.


_________________
(No longer a mod)

On sabbatical...


Anyu
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13

09 Mar 2009, 11:41 pm

Not just children, but many adults would pronounce it wrong and not care enough to correct themselves. Better to get the children pronouncing it right for future reference, if you ask me.



MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Feb 2009
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,129
Location: R.I.P.

10 Mar 2009, 12:37 am

Ratatouille is an AWESOME movie!! ! You'd only be denying yourself.

The only understandable critique I read was by a French chef - where the idea of a rat in a kitchen is way more disgusting than in the rest of the world. It's gross here in the US - but apprently, to the French - its like finding salmonella in the guacamole.

Quite understandable - given their history with food, the black plague, and the fact that Louis Pasteur is from France - I trust the French when it comes to food safety.

Other than that - everyone loves that movie! Non-French Chefs, adult foodies, random parents, and people under the age of 18. (Even the 18 year olds!)


_________________
Comprendre, c'est pardoner.


ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2009
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,532

10 Mar 2009, 12:50 am

Usagi1992 wrote:
You see, I have a really big problem regarding the way that Disney released the movie "Ratatouille". At first, when I watched the trailer, I thought "This looks pretty cool". But at the end, that's when Disney blew it...

...they put under the name of the movie, in parenthesis, how to phonetically PRONOUNCE the f***ing TITLE!! That really brought my blood to a boil! :evil:

I mean, children are NOT stupid! You'd think that if children asked their parents, or were corrected by their parents, they'd know how to pronounce 'ratatouille'. But no, Disney just spit in the face of childrens' intelligence levels!

Of course. my brother has a great argument for that: he says that these days, most adults are less intelligent as well. And that since children are the target audience for this movie, they normally wouldn't know how to pronounce the title unless phonetically helped.

Well, as my personal spit back on Disney, I INTENTIONALLY mispronounce that movie, as "Rat-a-tool", just to piss off my brother. :P

So, what are your thoughts, fellow aspies? Is this a stupid reason to boycott a movie or not?

Usagi1992


disney is an american company, doing what most americans would aggree with: explain something simple (SORRY GUYS)

they probably did it to be "cute" tho, using a french word, thats kindov difficult, w the "ll" and stuff.

conclusion, no. not a reason. boycotts are used for serious issues. people are talking about israel boycotts, turkey boycotts while the whole kurdish thing was going on. spain boycotts during the franco military dictatorship.
boycotting cus of translating a silly word for you, is kindov eccentric :D



iceb
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,562
Location: London UK

10 Mar 2009, 1:19 am

Don't you just find it a nice word to pronounce - I don't understand the spelling at all not being French (who are a weird race).

It does look like a good film (impression of a sometimes rat keeper).


_________________
Wisdom must be gathered, it cannot be given.


10 Mar 2009, 1:50 am

Yes it is. I must be stupid because I wouldn't know how to pronounce it myself. It's French and I cannot read French because I don't know the rules of their alphabet and how to pronounce their words. At least I know "oui" is pronounced "we."

So of course they would have the pronunciation at the bottom to help us American audience. :roll:



DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,198
Location: Oregon

10 Mar 2009, 2:39 am

Considering it's Pixar, there's a good chance that it's an inside joke. Could you not see several of the Disney executives butchering the title when they first read the memo about it, prompting the creators to include how to pronounce it in all future memos?



Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,736
Location: hibernating

10 Mar 2009, 5:46 am

The mere fact that it is a Disney movie gives it extra boycott points for me...



Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,779
Location: Right behind you...

10 Mar 2009, 5:56 am

Cyberman wrote:
The mere fact that it is a Disney movie gives it extra boycott points for me...


Because of all the gold they earn? *Evil snigger*


_________________
(No longer a mod)

On sabbatical...


Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,736
Location: hibernating

10 Mar 2009, 6:51 am

Quatermass wrote:
Cyberman wrote:
The mere fact that it is a Disney movie gives it extra boycott points for me...


Because of all the gold they earn? *Evil snigger*

Not so much the gold, but the sing-song, fairy tale, emotional rubbish. Only stupid Earth brains would be fooled by it.



Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,779
Location: Right behind you...

10 Mar 2009, 7:05 am

Cyberman wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Cyberman wrote:
The mere fact that it is a Disney movie gives it extra boycott points for me...


Because of all the gold they earn? *Evil snigger*

Not so much the gold, but the sing-song, fairy tale, emotional rubbish. Only stupid Earth brains would be fooled by it.


This coming from creatures who get killed by induced emotion... (cf The Invasion, and The Age of Steel)


_________________
(No longer a mod)

On sabbatical...


Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,736
Location: hibernating

10 Mar 2009, 7:14 am

Emotion is a weakness. You are destined to become like us. Do not resist, or we shall open a can of deletion on you.



gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Nov 2008
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,669
Location: The Town That Time Forgot (UK)

10 Mar 2009, 7:53 am

I think boycotting movies is stupid anyway. Like those Catholics who got pissed off about The Da Vinci Code. :roll:


_________________
'El reloj, no avanza
y yo quiero ir a verte,
La clase, no acaba
y es como un semestre"


Mage
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,054

10 Mar 2009, 8:55 am

I think boycotting implies you normally watched the movie, but then stopped watching the movie to prove a point. Much like when people boycotted Kellog's for dropping Phelps as the spokesperson because he smoked pot. They stopped buying products that they normally would have bought.

I boycotted America's Next Top Model when they dropped Heather. I had watched every single episode from season 1, but then stopped watching it once they kicked Heather off.



digger1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,485

10 Mar 2009, 9:08 am

There was an animated movie out not too long ago - another Disney movie. One of the straight to video Balto movies. The tagline was "A story about a pup who is half wolf just like her mother"

Ummm...

Now, I'm no mathematician but if a mother is half whatever then the pup would be a quarter whatever depending on whatever the father is. But, if the father is half wolf and the mother is half wolf then the father should be mentioned in the tagline as well.