Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 6:05 pm

As I previously mentioned some time ago in the Love & Dating forum, Im a member of okcupid. Okcupid also has forums and as you can infer the vast majority of the forumites are NTs. I tend to speak my mind on the forums but I DO NOT troll, spam, or transgressively insult people there. What pisses me off though is the number of people who insult me first with NO effing provocation and being foul-tempered I overreacted and threatened them when they refused to aplogize or tell me they were just kidding. Im really curious about this behaviour and why its so common all over the internet-that is, adults getting online and acting like bratty teenagers on internet discussion boards. Its unfortunate that I havent been fully able to conceal my social ineptitude even in the absence of anything but text and emoticons because saying things that other people consider to be socially clumsy or non-humerous by being extremely derisive and rude. Tell me your thoughts and experiences with this...........

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 7:11 pm

People say stuff they know they'd never get away with in real life.

Professional men turn into immature bastards on internet forums. Their bosses would be mortified.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 7:33 pm

Haliphron wrote:
As I previously mentioned some time ago in the Love & Dating forum, Im a member of okcupid. Okcupid also has forums and as you can infer the vast majority of the forumites are NTs. I tend to speak my mind on the forums but I DO NOT troll, spam, or transgressively insult people there. What pisses me off though is the number of people who insult me first with NO effing provocation and being foul-tempered I overreacted and threatened them when they refused to aplogize or tell me they were just kidding. Im really curious about this behaviour and why its so common all over the internet-that is, adults getting online and acting like bratty teenagers on internet discussion boards. Its unfortunate that I havent been fully able to conceal my social ineptitude even in the absence of anything but text and emoticons because saying things that other people consider to be socially clumsy or non-humerous by being extremely derisive and rude. Tell me your thoughts and experiences with this...........

Quote:
Im really curious about this behaviour and why its so common all over the internet-that is, adults getting online and acting like bratty teenagers on internet discussion boards.

Because it's so easy to get behind a computer and do the bullying without have to actually face their supposed opponent. Adults will always come off as bratty teens depending on the type of person they are.

Quote:
Tell me your thoughts and experiences with this

I hate it and I can get to the point where I either shut down or have to walk away from it. Use to be real bad. I'd start getting offended to the point where I'd get just as offensive as them which was nothing but a waste of time. Obviously that's what they wanted. Now I try and avoid or confront people who are bullying me in such a hostile way.

The experience I had on a particular aspie site was having accusations and names being flown at me. It started off with one person and then the rest decided to join in. I was a noobie so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. In fact, I hardly posted there because of the bias culture behind it. I clearly should've looked at the way the site was run before joining. It turns out it was a trolling site rather than having much to do with support.

I've had the similar experiences in dating sites as well. I don't know if it has something to do with any ASD related issue but I do get misconstrued a lot. Many reasons why I don't go to very many public sites anymore unless I'm anonymous or have a feel for it.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 8:04 pm

Never visited okcupid so not sure what that is,
besides WP i`ve been on just one other forum
where people chat and participated in that, but
i left after a short time. There was discussions
about some specific things that interested me
but it to often just slipped into being nothing
for me and after a while i just felt really tired
of it, in short i kinda didn`t fit in or something.
There was too many misunderstadings and such.
Wonder if this is totally off topic....getting late :tired:
I`ve been on a datingsite but not the type where
there`s forums and people chat.

edit-----
no wait, i was visiting another forum two years or so
back, but that lasted for less then a month and was
just riddicolous, there was just fighting and bad mouthing
and crap. Remember i wrote "know" instead of "now", i
confuse them sometimes, and then someone grabbed
that and felt the need to tell me i was stupid and should
have paid attention in school :hmph: One stupid K too
much and that was it. Then, i wrote too long posts some-
one told me. So i said you dont have to read them if you
dont want too. Then, i was an idiot someone told me :hmph:
who needs that, so i left and never returned.

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 10 Mar 2009, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 8:27 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Because it's so easy to get behind a computer and do the bullying without have to actually face their supposed opponent. Adults will always come off as bratty teens depending on the type of person they are.

Adults who use online forums as means of bullying other people must be very insecure with something about themselves. What I wonder is if they realize that they're making themselves look like total LOSERS with this behaviour! These sorts of games are played by children and teenagers because at that stage of life you're not expected to have accomplished anything or be doing something productive with your life.