Does this sum up anyone else's feelings on realizing?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CambridgeSuperman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

bistromathics
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2009, 6:52 pm

I don't get it. Realizing what?

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:04 pm

reminds me of the animatrix

CambridgeSuperman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2009, 7:20 pm

The pic is from the scene in superman returns when clark kent realises he doesn;t need to wear his glasses anymore.

What I meant was did anyone else find that they're diagnosis (self or professional) set them free from trying so hard to live by social norms and instead just be aspergic.

For me i found this picture really does sum up how i feel at the minute; indeed i'm considering it as my new fb profile pic.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:24 pm

CambridgeSuperman wrote:
The pic is from the scene in superman returns when clark kent realises he doesn;t need to wear his glasses anymore.

More wondering that needed to wear this glasses in the first place: They are made of just plain window glass ...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:26 pm

None are so free as the outcaste.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2009, 7:53 pm

Dussel wrote:
More wondering that needed to wear this glasses in the first place: They are made of just plain window glass ...
:lol:

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 10:25 pm

CambridgeSuperman wrote:

What I meant was did anyone else find that they're diagnosis (self or professional) set them free from trying so hard to live by social norms and instead just be aspergic.

For me i found this picture really does sum up how i feel at the minute; indeed i'm considering it as my new fb profile pic.

I see what you mean. I didn't really think that after my diagnosis, but just being aspergic (as you say) is better than stressing over social norms and getting depressed about never getting it right.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 2:04 am

CambridgeSuperman wrote:

Not instantly, but gradually it is making me more comfortable with myself.

On another note, I immediately noted your "-ize" spelling of "realizing." Based on your location I previously took you to be British but now I am curious about your nationality. (It is perfectly fine in British English to use "-ize" spellings, but increasingly uncommon. I cringe at "-ise" spellings and get rather annoyed when people think "-ize" spellings are an Americanism and a deviation from "proper" "-ise" spellings. In fact it is the "-ise" spellings that are the deviation and not the other way around!)

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2009, 3:54 am

dougn wrote:
CambridgeSuperman wrote:

On another note, I immediately noted your "-ize" spelling of "realizing." Based on your location I previously took you to be British but now I am curious about your nationality. (It is perfectly fine in British English to use "-ize" spellings, but increasingly uncommon. I cringe at "-ise" spellings and get rather annoyed when people think "-ize" spellings are an Americanism and a deviation from "proper" "-ise" spellings. In fact it is the "-ise" spellings that are the deviation and not the other way around!)
Actually...... English was influenced by French. -iser ending. British linguistic culture has had a history of valuing French at a higher value than British dialects so it is quite predictable that the -ise ending has become commonplace in British culture. This has occurred for a number of other British linguistic quirks such as pronunciation of "hotel" etc although perhaps not quite as pervasive.

I am a New Zealander and the -ize ending is still pretty rare and quite noticeable around here. In early school I was certainly taught -ise. I assume the same occurs in Britain.

Sorry to be off-topic!

Last edited by Liresse on 12 Mar 2009, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 3:54 am

ise is how we do it down south (Australia).
I hate it when spell checker wants to change it to ize.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 4:00 am

all i know is i am much freer since my diagnosis than ANY time in the last 46 years. I am still learning to accept i am AS.

i noticed today, as i walked up the garden path from the studio - that for the first time ever - i do not have a terrible gnawing feeling and i am not constantly asking the gods and myself, "what the hell is wrong with me?"

as a result, i feel freer. i also feel as if a lot of my energy - energy previously locked up in depression and despair - seems to be lighter and better.

so yeah - bit by bit i am feeling relieved and released from the social constraints of trying to fit in.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 4:01 am

CambridgeSuperman wrote:

it looks to me as if he does still need to wear glasses. is he falling over a bar of some kind?
also, it looks like he still needs glasses because he has not yet pushed his hands out in front to brace his fall, which means he can not see how close the ground is, even at the distance his face is from it

Jimboomba
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Mar 2009, 5:42 am

Finding out means you finally know you're never going to just click into society one day, but at least you understand your weaknesses and can try to stay within the touchlines a bit more, just to avoid trouble. It's given me clarity to concentrate on the things I need to do to stay under the radar more.

AS is something I tested fairly high for on the Simon Baron-Cohen test. I tried to answer honestly and actually hoped I would be classed as NT. But no. And when my ex-girlfriend did the test, she was totally NT. And then I did it again with her watching, and she corrected some of my answers - making me score even higher as an Aspie... She says she suspected for some time. So many things. Maybe the toe-walking I do in my bare feet was the clincher!

CambridgeSuperman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2009, 8:15 am

dougn wrote:
CambridgeSuperman wrote:

lol. I am British and would usually use the -ise ending. But alas my mac insists that it is -ize. I guess i succumbed to the slightly less irritating "-ize" over seeing a squgally red line under what i type.

But you're also right that the -ize ending is becoming ever more common here, mainly thanks to apple and microsoft.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:14 am

CambridgeSuperman wrote:

In a way, yes.

In fact, until recently I was just trying to be like other people even though I was told at 9, it was weird coz I knew I has AS but I never really consciously thought about it.

At about the time I joined this forum, though, I decided that I'm better off being myself, so now I just try to be me as much as I can, I don't try to restrict my behaviors while I'm at home simply because I don't want to act like someone I'm not, no matter how much anyone else objects to this. I am who I am and I'm proud of it :)