Saudi Arabia sentences widow, 75, to 40 lashes and jail time

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:22 pm

Quote:
A Saudi Arabian widow aged 75 has been sentenced to 40 lashes and four months in prison for mingling with two young men who were reportedly bringing her bread.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... bread.html

Poor woman. We deserve the same rights as the pigheaded men who decide what rights are!

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:25 pm

So many of these "sentences" are horrifying for women to go through, but this is the worst situation I've heard of yet.

I hope she wins her appeal.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:35 pm

whitetiger wrote:
So many of these "sentences" are horrifying for women to go through, but this is the worst situation I've heard of yet.

in a lot of places men will throw boiling oil or acid on a woman's face. It happens very often.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:36 pm

Well y'know, Saudi Arabia (and mostly the capital city, the one closest to influence from the royal family) are put through a version of islam called Wahabism, it's a very stark and strict application of islam. =/ (Without the fifth pillar about the Djihad). They do not admit any kind of art or even statues of Mahomet (i reckon a temple of him was even destroyed because of that). Oh yeah, and they also prohibit western culture as it "corrupts" their young, or somesuch. So you can see guess that women here are not in a very nice spot. The royal family has even been trying to spread this way of thinking across the islamic countries by paying the classes of those interested =/ ... Thankfully (?), its action seems to be limited the farther away you get from Saudi Arabia. Oh and, just to mention, the royal family is kinda corrupted as well ^^; One of their british nannies said that they had a discotheque in the basement and were taking illicit drugs ~.~ . Do what i say, not what i do huh?

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Mar 2009, 12:08 am

whitetiger wrote:

It's not as bad as the post on here a little while ago about the teenage girl who was raped by three men, and when her parents tried to report them to the authorities she was stoned to death publicly and the few who did try to help her were shot down while the three men received no punishment. Now that's f****d up.

aka010101
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2009, 1:44 am

Countries that try to surpress outside influences often end up like this, Saudi Arabia, Iran, China is particuarly bad about it, stuff like that sickens me.
Its simply bullying on a national scale, the group in charge KNOWS that they're doing a horrible job, and is doing everything they can to make sure no one knows that so they won't be taken out of power.

Best way to deal with them is to simply give the people a more unbiased opinion , and let things take their course.
As a side note, i'm REALLY looking forward to what's going to happen to the saudi royals when the oil finally runs out, call me vindictive :twisted:

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 2:06 am

Meh, for their defense, i will at least mention that Saudi Arabia was the first to take initiative in reeducating the young members of Al Quaeda that would take that chance. The more hardened ones got sent to prison. They figured out that Al-Qaeda's way of thinking is kinda anarchic and would potentially endanger the royal family's legitimacy and supremacy. So meh, they are sending youths that have not toally been turned into one of Al Qaeda's cronies and giving them another chance at getting married and a job. (One of the guys who was at the center was also an ex-member of Al Qaeda, but they backstabbed him in the worst way, he was supposed to only drive a truck or something, but he didn't know the truck contained flameable stuff and was destined to hurt american troops, he only found out at the last minute and he got badly burned, still survived, his whole face was burned =( Anyways, now he helps with the reeducation (note: the story of how it happened might not be totally how it went, but the result is the same)). It should also be noted that Al Qaeda and most islamic extremist movements have added the djihad as a fifth pillar of islam, whereas to my knowledge, most of the islamic world observes mainly the four principal ones. Also related would be that the royal family forced a reform of most of the imam group of priests, to filter out those who would recruit easily influenced people to Al Quaeda's cause.

Word about Iran, like most western states, the problem is "NOT" with the population, it's mostly the leadership, last i read Iran's population was becoming more filled with young people, who were more opened to western culture (heh from what i've seen, some of them dress pretty much as us o.O). Hamadinejhad and the old folks minority are currently the ones in power and are likely to be blamed for a few things (threats on Israel, etc.). Oh and, if you think that Iranians don't have fun, you're fooling yourself, they just don't do it in public, apparently they can rival even western parties when they get going in private places :p.

(I love international stuff)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 3:36 am

Islam is a psychosocial disorder, not a religion. It is a kind of insanity.

ruveyn

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 10:12 am

...and Saudi Arabia's our ally.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:06 am

Saudi Arabia's relation with the USA is a love-hate one. <.< They enjoy the fact that you're all paying for the oil, which allows them to make such excentric expenses such as seen in Dubai. And on the other hand, they're wary (and with good reasons might i add :wink: ) of what americans could do, based on what you guys have done around the world. (for some of us who have a short memory, the case of the Shah of Iran was attributed to the US leadership, the guy tried to fast forward the country into modernism (using coertion(sp?) methods) when the people themselves weren't ready for such an extreme change -.- (like seeing pepsi panels in the street? oh my) In the mean time, american companies were free to pump the oil from Iran (ofc, what else?), seeing all this, don't you think most normal people would hold a grudge? -.- )

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:24 pm

^^ I fail to see how this might justify lashing a 75 years old widow...

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:30 pm

Hum yeah o.o sorry for going off context ._.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:49 pm

That's one f'd up nation they got there.

Saudi Arabia is on my list of "countries to stay the hell out of at all costs", along with China, North Korea, Iran, and others. As a general rule, I would never LIVE in countries where the literacy rate is lower than 50%, as that is generally a good indication of whether it would be a nice place to live. The ones I would never even set foot in are for more subjective reasons than a simple statistic, but it's fairly obvious that they are the ones with oppressive regimes, etc. This is because keeping my mouth shut about atrocities isn't my strong point, and I don't want to get thrown in jail.

Anyway, I watched a documentary on the Saudi royals a while ago. (They practically admitted they were in on 9/11, BTW.) In Ha'il, women have to wear these massive long burka things, and aren't allowed to drive and stuff like that. Sexism is clearly still alive and well.

y es como un semestre"