Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 1:53 am

Thank you millie! And I do think Aspies are super-smart, for the most part.

<cool new avatar!>

millie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 2:04 am

yes, they often are, but not always in the usually quantifiable and measurable ways.

the new avatar is my best friend Peggy. i love her so much. she sleeps in my room under my litte single bed and she snores. i can lean my hand down to her at night and pat her and she likes that. i give her a good firm tussle around the neck. she comes most places with me and is a local identity in my small town.
she brings joy to people...as animals do. :)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 2:28 am

jamesp420 wrote:
I've wondered about this for a while, because it's supposed to be like the "little professors" disability and I'm technically a genius, but I don't know that much about Asperger's.

I rather doubt that all (of any class) are smart. Some are and some are not. The average IQ of AS folk might be a bit higher than the rest of the population, but IQ is not the total measure of smarts. People skills fit in there somewhere and I suspect that AS folk might be on the low end of that spectrum.

Do not confuse verbal facility or glibness with intelligence.

ruveyn

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 2:48 am

ruveyn wrote:
jamesp420 wrote:
I've wondered about this for a while, because it's supposed to be like the "little professors" disability and I'm technically a genius, but I don't know that much about Asperger's.

I rather doubt that all (of any class) are smart. Some are and some are not. The average IQ of AS folk might be a bit higher than the rest of the population, but IQ is not the total measure of smarts. People skills fit in there somewhere and I suspect that AS folk might be on the low end of that spectrum.

Do not confuse verbal facility or glibness with intelligence.

ruveyn

Thank you for your post - ruveyn, do you teach Aspies? Unsure, given your post above.

And, true, like any population, Aspies are heterogeneous. But there truly are genius AS/HFAs and many (not just a few) of our greatest scientist, mathematicians, artists, etc are Autists! Science is my passion and I will contribute. I am cognitively gifted (and also very shy....implies 'translating' my thoughts is hard). But good question, OPster.

Hi to Peggy from the Lab Pet :star:

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 2:57 am

millie wrote:
yes, they often are, but not always in the usually quantifiable and measurable ways.

the new avatar is my best friend Peggy. i love her so much. she sleeps in my room under my litte single bed and she snores. i can lean my hand down to her at night and pat her and she likes that. i give her a good firm tussle around the neck. she comes most places with me and is a local identity in my small town.

my dog enjoys that too, as well as a game of chase and wrestling, which I end up getting little bite marks all over me. she's a jack russell. looks kind of similar to yours.
actually my dog jack looked exactly like peggy.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 3:36 am

Quote:
pensieve wrote:
millie wrote:

my dog enjoys that too, as well as a game of chase and wrestling, which I end up getting little bite marks all over me. she's a jack russell. looks kind of similar to yours.
actually my dog jack looked exactly like peggy.

oh your dog sounds wonderful. i am so happy to hear that. :)

and LabPet, i will pass on a hello to Peggy from you. :)

as for autistic thinkers - there is a lot of brilliance and individualised thinking which is what i love. i really do enjoy people who think outside the box. and i see this amongst a number of people on WP. Not everyone. But more than i have seen anywhere else. It is the individualised approach i am drawn to, more than the traditionally quantifiable 'intelligence' as it is called. it is very wonderful. When i come across it, i am full of hope for humanity.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 8:18 am

LabPet wrote:

Thank you for your post - ruveyn, do you teach Aspies? Unsure, given your post above.

I taught Normals in graduate school. Now I record technical books for the blind and dyslexic.

Sometimes I give talks and lectures. I am a born didactic. Give me a chance and I will chew your ear off your head.

ruveyn

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 10:08 am

ruveyn wrote:
LabPet wrote:

I taught Normals in graduate school. Now I record technical books for the blind and dyslexic.

Sometimes I give talks and lectures. I am a born didactic. Give me a chance and I will chew your ear off your head.

ruveyn

hello ruveyn, thats cool you record technical books for blind and dyslexic people, I LOVE TECHNICAL MANUALS AND BOOKS!! any fav topics or categories of technical books??? me its computer troubleshooting manuals and books on door repair (if and when i find them, i only have one on doors, (closers specifically, made by HPC locksmith tools company)

i do observe too that the dyslexic if its voiced to them they can pick up on mechanical stuff and do really well at it, i think Thomas Edison or Alexander Graham Bell(phone inventor) or Albert Eisenstein was dyslexic as well. my great grandfather ACTUALLY KNEW Albert Einstein!!

not including one of the people that have emailed me asking for help on how to adjust or fix a norton 78 B/F series traditional style door closer (which im sure you ruveyn has seen in your past the old door closer styling from <1960), turned out the arm was adjusted too short for the latch speed to work.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 10:21 am

I think "smart" is a wide open term. We aren't socially smart.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 3:24 pm

Most aspies are pretty smart, with high IQs and that.
When this aspie boy joined my school a couple of years ago I was told he was in the bottom set, and I was really surprised about it. I thought he'd be clever or something.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 3:29 pm

I guess in some ways I am "smart", but actually I think I am average.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 3:44 pm

doordoctor wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
LabPet wrote:

ruveyn

hello ruveyn, thats cool you record technical books for blind and dyslexic people, I LOVE TECHNICAL MANUALS AND BOOKS!! any fav topics or categories of technical books??? me its computer troubleshooting manuals and books on door repair (if and when i find them, i only have one on doors, (closers specifically, made by HPC locksmith tools company)

i do observe too that the dyslexic if its voiced to them they can pick up on mechanical stuff and do really well at it, i think Thomas Edison or Alexander Graham Bell(phone inventor) or Albert Eisenstein was dyslexic as well. my great grandfather ACTUALLY KNEW Albert Einstein!!

not including one of the people that have emailed me asking for help on how to adjust or fix a norton 78 B/F series traditional style door closer (which im sure you ruveyn has seen in your past the old door closer styling from <1960), turned out the arm was adjusted too short for the latch speed to work.

ruveyn: Oh - just wondered. And Aspies/HFAs are really mixed. When smart, it's really smart. I am academically gifted but shy/socially awkward. Always stereotyping doesn't apply.

doordoctor is cool - with a mechanical gift.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 3:51 pm

SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:
I guess in some ways I am "smart", but actually I think I am average.

SpongeBob is smart. This video is one of my favorite songs (Blue) sung by SpongeBob (even though SpongeBob is yellow):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNUPnGkD ... re=related