Clever girls like clever boys much more than...

Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 7:19 am

Overtly smart women, at least from my experience, are quite rare. Note I say "overtly". Most of the smart women I know also tend to hide it (compared to the men who often flaunt it), and I haven't seen a particular preference for smart men.

I don't mind overtly smart women, in fact I'd say I have a preference for them (though given their rarity it's not a quality I expect in a girlfriend), but the ones I've known in college generally either already have boyfriends or are really not interested. If it's to do with brains, which I can't tell, I'm still not sure whether I'm too smart or too stupid.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 7:35 am

nothingunusual wrote:
It sounds terribly chauvinist, but I honestly believe most men, being honest, desire a woman who simply looks good, has traditionally female interests and who is more likely to stay home and raise the children.

I'll try to be as honest as I can here.

Looks good: I don't think I'm all that picky here, but it's a requirement. Many women claim it's not really a requirement and I don't understand them. And beggars can't really be choosers, so if I find a girl easy on the eyes I'm quite likely to see how interested she seems in dating if she shows any interest whatsoever.

Traditionally female interests: I totally deny this, at least if it's the same "interests" I'm thinking of. Most of the things I like I mostly end up talking to other guys about, and it ends up being a barrier between me and the opposite sex - which I don't want, of course. Where are the women who like all the things I like? I want to know them!

Likely to stay home and mind the children: of course, selfishly I'd like to not have to think much about doing any sort of dirty work, but that's not going to happen and I can live with that. I'm not "traditionally minded" in the sense that I do think it is possible for children to grow up fine with two working parents, because that was my childhood.

OmegaZero
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2009, 8:01 am

I seem to like girls that are as smart or even smarter than I am, it doesn't seem to bother me really

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 8:47 am

There is a world of difference between thinking you are clever and actually being clever. In fact, self assessing cleverness is incredibly stupid. It has to be done by other people.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 9:10 am

I'm not so sure about that. Can't someone claim they are good at something? The only big issue I have is judging intelligence as a single entity, because I don't think people really understand intelligence. So really, on a casual level I think people are capable of guessing how "smart" they themselves are, but on a more serious and rigorous level I don't think anyone can do this.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 10:30 am

Flismflop wrote:
Nothingunusual,
I don't get why you're asking this question. You are challenging the guys to come up with arguments against an unfounded accusation.

I don't see how it's unfounded at all. I'm sure alot of the guys here could even confirm it works the other way around. Plenty of people (male and female) will claim they value intellect, substance, depth and an inquisitive mind over someone who's all beauty/brawn and no brains. But in reality, it's always the conventional standard alpha who wins peoples hearts (or groins). It's much like the 'nice guy syndrome' - Women say they like nice guys, but always gravitate towards the jerks.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

ghostpawn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2009, 3:55 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
Are all intelligent men uninterested at best and intimidated at worst? Would you prefer (if you had your pick of the crop) to go for the less cerebral, non-bookish, conventionally feminine but slightly dithering every-girl.

Intimidated because I'm interested, I think. When I notice that a girl is somewhat smart, she instantly becomes more attractive to me.

nothingunusual wrote:
It sounds terribly chauvinist, but I honestly believe most men, being honest, desire a woman who simply looks good, has traditionally female interests and who is more likely to stay home and raise the children.

Looking good never hurts, but people often differ as to what that means exactly. Being clean and in good shape is generally preferable for both genders. I hate makeup, long nails and high heels. They look ugly to me.

Traditional female interests be damned. Most men like women who share their interests - such as cars, football and sex. Nerdy boys are more sophisticated, preferring women who like computers, science fiction, and sex. Some classic academic boys will instead look for women who like mathematics, chess, and sex. See a pattern here?

The "stay home and raise the children" problem is a sexist social construct. Some men would be quite happy with the "penguin model", but society calls women who take care of the kids "homemakers", while men who take on the same role are seen as "losers". I love kids. I think fixing this social stigma would enable more women to focus on their careers.

Quote:
We have our fair share of clever boys and girls here at WP, so what do you think? Is it really the case that "Clever Girls Like Clever Boys Much More Than Clever Boys Like Clever Girls"?

Theories:
- clever boys turn into idiots when exposed to attractive women (even if some of them find clever women attractive)
- men like to feel needed, so if their main asset is intelligence, a clever woman makes them feel redundant
- clever women are more likely to hold strong opinions, some of which chase clever boys away (some forms of sexist "feminism" especially so)
- clever boys and clever girls are both rare, thus statistically less likely to collide
- it's hard to notice a woman's intelligence without first spending time with her - and by then we're usually in the dreaded "friend zone"

CJBinks wrote:
A common theme amongst the guys is the (false) assumption that a woman with glasses is more likely to be intelligent.

Multiple studies have shown a positive correlation between myopia and IQ. :nerdy:

Also, contrary to popular belief, turns out there is also a positive correlation between women's bust size and IQ, by about 10 IQ points.

However, implants unfortunately don't seem to convey artificial intelligence.

Sharon Stone: 148
Shakira: 140
Dolly Parton: 140-145
Angelina Jolie: 136
Nicole Kidman: 132
Jodie Foster: 132
Paris Hilton: 115 (but ADHD = lower test score by about 20%, so that would put her around 143)
Pamela Anderson: 114
Janeane Garofalo: 105 (based on SAT score)
Britney Spears: not sure, quotes range from 105 to 137 (but her recklessness is due to bipolar disorder)

twoshots wrote:
Cleverness is practically meaningless outside of a display context, and women don't display that way.

Well they should! Then we're know where all the clever women are at!

nothingunusual wrote:
Women say they like nice guys, but always gravitate towards the jerks.

I think it's the jerks that gravitate towards the women, they don't care as much about rejection. Nice guys would get more dates if women were the ones doing the asking. As for women, personality simply isn't as visibly obvious as a big pair of boobs. So if you want to date a clever boy, ASK HIM OUT.

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2009, 6:52 pm

If I had to choose...

Average and Smart > Hot and Dumb

Intelligence and a sense of humor are something I have always held in high esteem. She doesn't need to have the IQ of a rocket scientist, but she needs to at least be able to hold a decent conversation. If she knows something I don't know...it gives us more to talk about. Also, I very much like women who hold their own opinions, even when I don't agree with them. It means they don't need somebody to do their thinking for them.

In regard to appearance, she doesn't need to be a supermodel - as they generally would not go for men like me anyway. She does need to be mindful of her health (healthy weight, generally good diet, etc.)

Interests - I could care less about "traditional" interests in a woman. If she can say "For The Horde!" with conviction, even better! As long as she's willing to help with the housework (that does not mean doing it all - I can cook, clean, do my own laundry, etc.)

A common theme on this site seems to be "breaking the mold", and so I will leave a message for the ladies here: if you are interested in a guy, do not be afraid to make the first move. Men are expected to show confidence, be "alpha", et cetera - is it not fair for us to expect that of you as well?

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 7:09 pm

a dumb bimbo-ish attitude in a girl irritates me and turns me off, and it takes very little :/

in my opinion, what attracts me most, to a chick, is a crude and imaginative sense of humor. this is usually an indication of a good and brainy head :]

mmmmm brains

dedhead66
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2009, 7:48 pm

Some of us haven't had the luxury of being picky. If she's breathing she's a keeper. :lol:

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 8:49 pm

dedhead66 wrote:
Some of us haven't had the luxury of being picky. If she's breathing she's a keeper. :lol:

luxury?

being picky, simply means i continue all by my lonesome :D

could be an age thing tho ;) i am actually STARTING to panic EVERSOSLIGHTLY allready, cus dating takes time, and time is passssing byyyyyyy

dedhead66
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2009, 8:55 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
luxury?

could be an age thing tho ;) i am actually STARTING to panic EVERSOSLIGHTLY allready, cus dating takes time, and time is passssing byyyyyyy

:D I didn't intend my comment to reflect on you. I was just giving my answer to the original post.

I know about the passing time though. It doesn't seem to be slowing down any does it? I

mmmmm brains! Return of the Living Dead 2? Love that movie.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 9:02 pm

dedhead66 wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
luxury?

:D I didn't intend my comment to reflect on you. I was just giving my answer to the original post.

I know about the passing time though. It doesn't seem to be slowing down any does it? I

mmmmm brains! Return of the Living Dead 2? Love that movie.

that what i was assuming, since im 27 and beginning to worry - about time. im doing my math "k... so, 27 years and so far nothing, does that mean i got at least 28 more years of waiting or what?" (i suck at math..)

im not worrying a LOT tho, what is is, and what isnt isnt. living is a privilege anyway. (yeah, "at least i am allive" thats a good one. :roll: )

dedhead66
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2009, 9:10 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
living is a privilege anyway. (yeah, "at least i am allive" thats a good one. :roll: )

Living sure beats the alternative. No matter how down you get, there is always the chance you'll find happiness. I'm not getting into religion or spirituality but if you're dead you have no chance at all.

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2009, 9:12 am

dedhead66 wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
living is a privilege anyway. (yeah, "at least i am allive" thats a good one. :roll: )

Living sure beats the alternative. No matter how down you get, there is always the chance you'll find happiness. I'm not getting into religion or spirituality but if you're dead you have no chance at all.

Agreed. Granted, the search for such happiness may be long and tough, but it may be worth it in the end. I for one think that looking in the right places helps (something I have been woefully guilty of not doing lately), but I'm working on it. I am much more likely to meet that "special someone" at a gaming convention then I am at one of the local "hot spots" and I am trying to change up my social circles in light of that.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 9:22 am

I think the characteristic most men go for is 'willing'...;)

That being said, intelligent women can be more creative in a lot of ways, and besides...what are you going to do the other 22 hours a day?...;)