Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 10:40 pm

Article:

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/pu ... 2086.shtml

I think some of these are a stretch and some are on target.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 10:46 pm

Quote:
Reportedly, Cleopatra and other female Egyptian rulers wore a fake beard

:lol:

And the Pope wears a gown....he must be one too..... :lol:

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 10:51 pm

Age1600 started a thread on this list some time ago. It certainly is an interesting list.

This is my favourite:

Quote:
“Every episode of Seinfeld contains a Superman reference somewhere,” (Botham, 2006, p. 40). I will say no more.

I will say no more, too.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 11:01 pm

Ok, I am going to go back and read it properly now (I just skimmed down to the royalty bit after reading the introduction last time).

Great discussion piece whitetiger. I'm sorry I missed the earlier thread when Age1600 posted it.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 11:08 pm

I really dislike these kind of lists, I find these facile and extremely speculative. Its bad enough that people consider Bill Gates to be aspergers without any proof, but to talk about historical figures like this is plain dumb.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2009, 11:15 pm

Thanks whitetiger :)

although...

Quote:
“Catherine the Great relaxed by being tickled,” (Botham, 2006, p. 10) which could be a result of the characteristic sensation seeking of light to moderate touch, of those Apies with Hypo reactivity to touch or proprioceptive feedback.
Definitely wouldn't agree with this.
Quote:
The novel, Gatsby, written by Ernest Vincent Wright, has a word count of fifty thousand with no word containing the letter e (Botham, 2006, p. 60). Phobic?
Or this! What! Obsessive perhaps but hardly phobic! Not that phobic is particularly diagnostic of ASD, heh.

I support more widespread education about what autism actually is :(

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:13 am

The only one I agreed with on that list was Virginia Woolf. I think she's AS and bipolar, like me.

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2009, 3:47 am

Don't know if I can even start to read this article.

The structure of this sentence:

People with Asperger’s Syndrome are often described, as having social skills deficits, reluctance to listen, difficulty understanding social give and take, and other core characteristics, is typically quite misunderstood and/or misdiagnosed in our country today.

Is awful...

I also don't have reluctance to listen as part of my diagnosis LOL

My thought is, one day all this will be as relevant as making a short list of famous people who are gay.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 9:31 am

I know that list says some famous people who do have AS, but I seriously doubt all of them are aspies or auties.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 9:43 am

Of the speculative lists I've read, the only two that I buy who may have had AS are Einstein and Mozart. They showed blatant symptoms in many areas. Of course, their incredible genius may just have made them have high Aspie traits, but the point is that they did indeed have the traits. But, on the flip side, I've also read about how people suspect Spielberg and Thomas Jefferson. Please. :roll:
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:49 pm

To put living people on the list without their consent is really presumptuous and a tad offensive (and hey, I have AS. I'M supposed to be the one with the empathy deficit :roll: ). What if they don't have it? What if they know they do and don't want people to know? I don't go around broadcasting mine to people because people DO treat you differently when they know.

To put the dead on the list is just plain silly. There's no way to prove it.

Quote:
Andrew Jackson maintained the belief that the world was flat (Botham, 2006, p. 3), indicating rigid concrete thinking, without the ability to see another’s perspective (Attwood, 2006, p. 2). May be he, too, was on our team?

Unless your "team" means "people who are dumb" then I don't see how that's diagnostic of anything. Lots of people have ridiculous ideas. Ever meet a scientologist?

Quote:
Marilyn Monroe had a history of emotional instability, depression, and suicide.

Also indicative of bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, being a woman, being an actress, having a bad childhood, having made a series of bad career moves and bad personal choices....

Terrible. Just terrible.

Still an interesting way to kill five minutes. :wink:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:52 pm

Sometimes I wonder who really had ASD and who didn't. I mean half these people weren't diagnosed and Tom Hanks...give me a break. :lol:

But it is interesting to speculate. There are some very interesting NTs that I can think on top of my head that come off a bit aspie-ish or loner-ish with their little eccentricities.

Modality
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2009, 3:54 pm

I disagree with Benjamin Franklin and everyone listed under the politics list save John Quincy Adams and possibly Lincoln. To the list of philosophers I would add Ludwig Wittgenstein, whom no one can convince me wasn't on the spectrum. Didn't speak until he was four, ate the same food at meals for months on end, wore the same thing every day, had an extreme obsession with logic, philosophy and music and an intense interest in the mechanics of things. He also has the most obvious "Aspie" stare I've ever seen: http://www.logical-operator.com/webgrap ... /Witt.jpeg

To the list of writers I would add Samuel Beckett, Henry James and maybe James Joyce.

The rest I didn't care to read.

Last edited by Modality on 14 Mar 2009, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Modality

14 Mar 2009, 3:59 pm

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
Of the speculative lists I've read, the only two that I buy who may have had AS are Einstein and Mozart. They showed blatant symptoms in many areas. Of course, their incredible genius may just have made them have high Aspie traits, but the point is that they did indeed have the traits. But, on the flip side, I've also read about how people suspect Spielberg and Thomas Jefferson. Please. :roll:
-OddDuckNash99-

What have you read about Jefferson? I mean the works of historians. I've read an awful lot about him, probably too much, and I don't think the possibility of his having Asperger syndrome can be so swiftly swept aside.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:39 pm

I have always believed that Wittgenstein was an aspie, as well.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 11:29 am

Modality wrote:
What have you read about Jefferson? I mean the works of historians

I haven't read any biographies about him, so I'm far from being an expert, but from what I do know about him, he seemed too social to be an Aspie. Plus, breaking the rules for the Louisiana Purchase seems contradictory to Aspie behavior. But, again, I've never read an in-depth study about him, so I may have missed signs/traits.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?