Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 2:39 am

Does the father of the unborn child have any rights to decide what happens to his child in regards to abortion?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 2:45 am

No.

I saw this post and laughed out loud, here we go again :lol:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:16 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
No.

I saw this post and laughed out loud, here we go again :lol:

Let me play devil's advocate why doesn't the father have any right to decide the fate of the child when that child is made up of half of his genetic code?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:38 am

All he has contributed is the 50% of genetic code he does not have to undergo all the trauma of an unwanted pregnancy followed by what must be an incredible emotional time giving up the child. I am not saying that the father is void of emotion, but on physiology alone it is far less.

I have been through this exact situation and had to agree that the final decision rested with the woman involved

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 5:16 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
All he has contributed is the 50% of genetic code he does not have to undergo all the trauma of an unwanted pregnancy followed by what must be an incredible emotional time giving up the child. I am not saying that the father is void of emotion, but on physiology alone it is far less.

I have been through this exact situation and had to agree that the final decision rested with the woman involved

But why doesn't the father have any right to say what happens to his child? What if the mother decides she doesn't like the father and decides to abort the baby to hurt him what then? Is that justified because the mother carries the child?

I don't mean to be mean but isn't it immature to complain about getting pregnant when you willingly sleep with someone knowing full well that you could get pregnant? Doesn't the idea of the mother being solely in charge of the fate unborn child actually stem from some women wanting more power in the world? If so wouldn't that mean that by denying the father any say over what happens to their child the mother would feel more powerful and in control?

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 6:43 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

But why doesn't the father have any right to say what happens to his child? What if the mother decides she doesn't like the father and decides to abort the baby to hurt him what then? Is that justified because the mother carries the child?

I don't mean to be mean but isn't it immature to complain about getting pregnant when you willingly sleep with someone knowing full well that you could get pregnant? Doesn't the idea of the mother being solely in charge of the fate unborn child actually stem from some women wanting more power in the world? If so wouldn't that mean that by denying the father any say over what happens to their child the mother would feel more powerful and in control?

Men don't have any sexual rights. We are just sperm donors.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 6:53 am

philosopherBoi wrote:

Firstly I do not view a foetus as a child. Secondly I doubt very much that a woman that wants to give birth to a baby will abort just to spite the father, yes it is possible but in my opinion someone that can think this coldy should never be a mother in the first place

philosopherBoi wrote:
I don't mean to be mean but isn't it immature to complain about getting pregnant when you willingly sleep with someone knowing full well that you could get pregnant?

See I think we have a very different perspective here. The only reservations that I have regarding abortion is how far into the pregnancy it is and the effect upon the woman involved

philosopherBoi wrote:
Doesn't the idea of the mother being solely in charge of the fate unborn child actually stem from some women wanting more power in the world? If so wouldn't that mean that by denying the father any say over what happens to their child the mother would feel more powerful and in control?

Again maybe there are a minute % of women who may see life this way but I suspect that is all. Most women would most likely take the mans views into account but when there is no agreement the ultimate decision must rest with the woman, it is her body and no-one has the right to force her to endure an unwanted pregnancy

See again you are also using the emotive term 'unborn child' and 'child' when at this stage of development it is far from this.

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2009, 12:23 pm

Yes I do.

I don't believe in abortion at all. The unborn are humans and we need to respect human life not destroy it.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 12:35 pm

In all fairness, the guy isn't the one who has to push the baby through his vagina, is he? The woman should make the final decision, as it's her body and at the end of the day it's her life that will be wrecked if the guy legs it. I'm not saying the guy gets no say in it, but if the guy wants the baby but the woman doesn't, they should opt for an abortion. Look at it from the child's point of view: how would you like to find out that your mother would have got rid of you if your dad hadn't stopped her?

(I doubt the man would try to make the woman get rid of the baby if it was the other way round. I just don't see what would be the point, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

y es como un semestre"

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:25 pm

The fetus is in the woman's body,
therfore it is up to the woman
to choose what to do with the fetus.

Anyway, men should have some say in this.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:51 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:
Does the father of the unborn child have any rights to decide what happens to his child in regards to abortion?

I believe you have made a valid point. This is how I see it.
If the woman knows who the father is, and if the father acknowledges that he is, indeed, the father [this alone requires an enormous amount of trust]...and if the father is at least age 18...

Then I think yes, the father should have a say...but only if he draws up a legal contract to state he will both pay the mother for her ordeal of pregnancy and also assume full responsibility for raising the child...while at the same time not preventing the mother from seeing her child, in the event she wants this, on a reasonably scheduled basis...worked out between them. However, any legal contract amenable to both would be satisfactory.

Even so, the mother should have final say in the matter as well as being given the opotion to change her mind within 10 days following the child's birth. If she decides to keep the child, former arrangements would be at least partially nullified.

Such a legal document would give everyone another chance in reconsidering abortion. Which would probably be a good thing for all involved.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 2:12 pm

Calling a foetus an "unborn child" is like calling us "undead corpses".

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 9:50 pm

Henriksson wrote:

Your comments are irrelevant to this debate so why don't you use your brain and actually talk about the topic instead of trying to drag this debate into the realm of traditional abortion debates.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2009, 10:22 pm

I think it should be entirely up to the mother 1. whether to get an abortion or not and 2. if she wants the father to have a say. In the end it boils down to it being entirely the mother's decision. Her body, her choice.

Also, it seems as though this thread was started merely for the sake of argument.(I don't mean that as a bad thing as I enjoy arguments so long as they don't get out of hand.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 10:27 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

Your comments are irrelevant to this debate so why don't you use your brain and actually talk about the topic instead of trying to drag this debate into the realm of traditional abortion debates.

So why do you call it an "unborn child" in the OP? Call it a foetus, simple and proper, if you wish to be spared from so-called "irrelevant comments".

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 10:30 pm

jamesp420 wrote:
Also, it seems as though this thread was started merely for the sake of argument
I disagree. I think it is a valid question.