make it stop. So called tv charity shows.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:10 pm

Like the spin off comic relief stuff, the dancing etc. Its f*****g repulsive. These z list celebs don't give a shite about the people in need, they're just trying to boost their profiles. They're scum of the earth. :evil:

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:19 pm

I agree, BB. I'd GIVE them all my money just to get them to **** off!

If I donate money to a charity, it's because I care about the cause, not because some silly munter gets doused in baked beans on national television. :roll:

y es como un semestre"

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:33 pm

Yeah. My Mum was shouting up at me to go and watch some guy dance. I'd rather watch paint dry.

who got doused in baked beans? I just don't know what happened to tv :? 95% of comedies are hopeless, dramas are dull, the soaps are derranged and then there's non stop reality tv. Thanks god for repeats, oh and thanks to the US 8O for great drama's and a few great comedy shows.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:55 pm

I only ever watch American TV these days, British TV just ain't as good.

Last year at school, the teacher said that everyone who took part in the sponsored run around the school field gets a treat in class for "bothering to give up their time for charity". She said it to mean, "You lazy bastards who didn't want to get all sweaty and get laughed at just cos everyone else did, you can go to hell." The "treat" was stupid anyway, but I felt insulted by the clear insinuation. I gave £10 to the charity anyway, I just didn't wanna run. The actual act of running doesn't help anyone, it's the money that counts. :roll:

y es como un semestre"

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:08 pm

Yeah its good that you gave the money anyway. Not sure why people should be treated for doing something for charity or donating :? Actually doing an activity can get friends and family to donate a bit though. But some pathetic excuse for a tv star dancing wouldn't make me donate a penny. I'd want a refund of my tv license.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:09 pm

My feelings about charities can be so mixed. Some of them I care about, but there are some... I just cannot care about those, if the people involved were not helped I could not care less. Some charities just seem to be set up for the 'good me' feelings of the organizers. The same with those TV-shows, they are set up to make people feel happy cq. not guilty.

Sometimes people I know look strange at my reactions toward certain charities and my absolute refusal to do something for that charity. It probably makes me seem like a heartless person.
But I care about certain charities, those I give money or some of my sparse free time.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:18 pm

Asterisp wrote:
My feelings about charities can be so mixed. Some of them I care about, but there are some... I just cannot care about those, if the people involved were not helped I could not care less. Some charities just seem to be set up for the 'good me' feelings of the organizers. The same with those TV-shows, they are set up to make people feel happy cq. not guilty.

Sometimes people I know look strange at my reactions toward certain charities and my absolute refusal to do something for that charity. It probably makes me seem like a heartless person.
But I care about certain charities, those I give money or some of my sparse free time.

I agree with this. I've been chastised for refusing to donate to certain charities, eg. Autism Speaks (you know the drill on that one), Cancer Research UK (tests on animals), Oxfam (spends all its money on publicity instead of helping people), Christian Aid ("we'll give you food...IF you convert to our religion")...I could go on and on and on.

The reason I tend to be picky about who and what I donate to is because I just want to cut the crap and actually do something good for the world, instead of just throwing money at anything so I look like a good person.

y es como un semestre"

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:21 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
Yeah its good that you gave the money anyway. Not sure why people should be treated for doing something for charity or donating :? Actually doing an activity can get friends and family to donate a bit though. But some pathetic excuse for a tv star dancing wouldn't make me donate a penny. I'd want a refund of my tv license.

Yeah, and they cancel anything decent that had been on TV that night. Even if it was on a different network, they know nobody's gonna watch anything but the charity event, so there's nothing but crap anywhere on TV.

y es como un semestre"

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:49 pm

I know. I can only hope its a phase that will die out. But I have a feeling things are only going to get worse D:

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 12:16 am

when it comes to charities i cannot help but think "will my donation get to the ones that need it?"

i donate money to some charities. i sometimes donate items like books.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 3:25 pm

Some guy Terry Wogan who presents Children In Need was actually getting paid for it. Untill he was ridiculed for that.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 3:38 pm

threads like this remind me why i dont have a television anymore! :?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 4:29 pm

I watched the first part of comic relief and I felt much the same way. It was like funny (well it was trying to be) then it gave you a major guilt trip: 'little Timmy hasn't eaten in months' DONATE ALL YOUR MONEY!! !

Yeah got no problem donating to charity... well actually I have... I am a student on very basic benefits and can barely support myself. I've always wished I could help poorer people but when you have nothing to give and people yelling at you to help (hypocrites: they've got thousands of pounds and probably give a fiver) it makes you rather frustrated...