Not Wanting Other's To Hear Your Music.

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LosFrida
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2009, 7:42 pm

:) I thought I was the only person who did this. I find one reason for my reluctance is that the majority of the music I listen to moves me quite deeply on an emeotional level (which more often then not menas it makes me cry). As such I don't like sharing something so personal with just anyone.

wrongchild
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Mar 2009, 7:57 pm

I'd like to share my music with someone. But the problem is
there are few of them have interest in my collections.

By the way, sometimes I don't want to share my music because
I don't want to let anyone know my collection. It makes me
feel like some one intend to steal them from me...

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 8:41 pm

Even though I'm a pretty non-secretive person, I don't like people listening to my music either, unless I actually want to share it with them.

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2009, 9:46 pm

Wow, that's pretty crazy, I thought I was just selfish. I used to call it possessiveness, and it applied to music as well as books. If I started singing a song to myself and someone else said "Oooh I know that song" I would get inexplicably irritated, stop singing, and ignore them for the rest of the day. Even today that happens (only I have better self-control and realise it's a way to share attention which is a good thing). I would feel incredibly possessive about the actual music media too, if I had a CD of music I loved, and then went online and saw other people had the CD too (eg it was for sale) I would feel annoyed to the point of not listening to the music at all.

Same with books. Maybe that's the reason I feel I can't read books people have recommended to me, or (when I was an avid reader) had absolutely no interest in book clubs etc.

Same with everything actually. I kept endless numbers of diaries and journals (online as well as offline), but even for the offline ones I would write in a secret code so that no one would know even if they found the secret place it was hidden in. Blogs: online journals are open to view for everyone, that's the point of them - but even after buying my own domain name I felt compelled to hide my posts so that no one could view them. If I look through all my earliest blogs, they are written completely in code, and even if you could decipher them (typed using dvorak on a querty keyboard or something stupidly arcane like that) they used invented words that only I knew the meaning of... and today I look back and cannot even remember what they meant!

Crazy that others felt even remotely like me, although I'm not sure if it was AS, some sort of attachment issue, or just selfishness! It was like the fact of the existence of people was disturbing.

RPM
Raven
Raven

15 Mar 2009, 9:58 pm

wrongchild wrote:
I'd like to share my music with someone. But the problem is
there are few of them have interest in my collections.

By the way, sometimes I don't want to share my music because
I don't want to let anyone know my collection. It makes me
feel like some one intend to steal them from me...

Yeha that so reminds me of that at this one Special Ed School I went to and got my Diploma from, there was a student who did not have a portable CD player at all, even though he was able to afford one, he had his own tape player though but he usually didn't bring it to School at all.

He sometimes had listened to my CD player and a CD on it as well but I did tell him he needed to start bringing his own Walkman cause i'm not always gonna be at the School or on the Bus (and well I did graduate from that School before he did, I knew it would happen too but he didn't see it coming till the year it happened).

Anyways there was this one CD I had brought in that I never got to listen to myself because he would be listening to the 3 tracks off the CD that were hits, but one day I was like, that is it, he's gotta learn to start bringing in his own Walkman and I decided I was not even bringing that certain CD in anymore since I never got to listen to it myself in the School or on the Bus.

No idea what the heck he did do after I graduated from that very School.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 6:35 am

I'm pretty tuned in to my friend's musical taste, so there are some songs I listen to only on my own as i know they wouldn't like them...

that said i'm a bit of a showoff and seem to be the main music downloader/researcher in my friendship group, and I really love sharing music with others, playing them new stuff and Djing at parties...

as for my own stuff, I want as many listeners as humanly possible ^.^

My EP can be found here ^.^

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 9:04 am

I don't like other people hearing my music, either, so I'll use my speakers either when no-one's around, or all of a sudden I get tired of wearing headphones (they make me feel chained up like a dog). That's probably because the area I live in is very conformist and lowest-common-denominator, and I'm wary of appearing weird, snobbish, pretentious, or even effeminate. Everyone around here (in my share house, on the bus etc) listens to either insipid drivel, or thug-glorifying rap. There's no way I'd use an iPod on the way to work, as I'd feel way too self-conscious - plus I'd end up having my favourite music ruined by my mind associating it with unpleasant environments and situations.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 9:43 am

nothingunusual wrote:
This sort of goes hand-in-hand with my reluctance to share anything about myself with people. It's a weird one though.

I don't know exactly why, but I feel uncomfortable with the idea that somebody else could be hearing my music. Hell, I don't even share my tastes with people if they ask. "A bit of everything" is usually the reply, which is true, but I never go into specifics. I never leave my ipod lying around for fear that someone might listen to it.

I guess it could be due my need for privacy like I said. And music is often emotional, like most art. Perhaps since we prefer others not to have a completely accurate picture of what we feel and have problems expressing ourselves, we dislike others hearing what songs we're listening to because it might give them insight into our guarded emotional and personal areas.

Even so, I dislike being so guarded because it causes me to feel even more alienated. I can't even share something as simple and enjoyable as music with others. :|

Use earphones.

ruveyn

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 10:05 am

Only when I'm listening to classic country, or something that most people consider "shocking" like Marilyn Manson or Type O Negative (I know, those are two major extremes - classic country to heavy/industrial metal). Any other time, I don't mind. I keep Windows Media Player going with my mp3s on it most of the time, and people seem to enjoy the music I play. But when I'm in the mood for something "different", or what is not in the mainstream that most people listen to, I keep it to myself for fear that others might verbalize their distaste.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 2:28 pm

People ask me what kind of music I like, I'll tend to give a very non-specific answer, and I only play music and share my tastes around people that I trust. I think I'm rather self-concious about it - feel like my tastes are not popular or mainstream enough, and worse that the types of music I listen to are often derided by those with more "mainstream" tastes. I think the world would be a much happier place if Clear Channel and all of those guys weren't force feeding the entire population the same seven or eight songs every day.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 2:38 pm

ruveyn wrote:

Use earphones.

ruveyn

I do. I don't listen any other way.

Last edited by nothingunusual on 19 Mar 2009, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 3:30 am

i hate people coming into my studio. i only let very special people in there. i understand the need for privacy and sacredness around an arts practice in any form.

However, ihave improved in terms of putting my work out into the world on my terms. and that feels liberating.

but people in the studio? not unless they are really cool. and only one at a time.

ZodRau
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2009, 6:01 am

I try to share my music, on the off-chance someone will hear it like I do. 99.7% of the time it becomes obvious they're not paying attention to the little details that I find so intriguing. 95% of the time all they can focus on is the surface of a track, which is mostly the thump , and then they become critical - I listen to psychedelic trance, psybient, and minimal techno mostly. I don't share space with anyone who doesn't like the soundtrack to my brain.

Sure the bass is repetitive, but there's often a richly textured soundscape in the mid-range and in the highs particularly.