Are there any true geniuses here? (IQ over 155)

Page 1 of 28 [ 439 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 4:56 pm

I was just wondering if there are any honest to god bona fide true geniuses here, the type of people who blow the doors off IQ tests of any type, and who can plot novels or new mathematical theorems in their heads. To be fair, you only count if you have a real test score, not just because your mom thinks you're smart. I don't have a real test score, so I don't count, but I do match some of the characteristics of a genius, some of which are AS traits too but I seem to have them at genius levels.

If you are an Aspie Genius, do you think you're being underutilized by society, an Einstein who is writing new theories of matter in between helping customers at the mini mart, but who couldn't become a real researcher because of AS? Do you write novels in between working three jobs-at age 18? Do people call you arrogant because you make them look like intellectual midgets? (Not that they aren't intellectual midgets, but being in the presence of somebody who isn't is rather disconcerting for them.)

Do you find yourself adrift in a sea of idiots to the point where you want to pull your hair out, because they JUST DON'T GET IT after having the obvious explained to them a million times? (I suppose that is how it would feel to be a Ron Paul supporter at the 2008 Democratic National Convention.) Do you just want to disappear into your special interests and a cabin in Montana? What is it like to be an Aspie Genius?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 5:09 pm

My IQ is only 150, so I'm not quite in your genius class. The result is from a Mensa test I took thirty years ago. I have no idea if it is the same now. The biggest frustration for me is not being able to communicate some of the things that I know because they exist as complex structures in my mind. They are a cross between mathematics and pictures. Complex moving three dimensional graphs for want of a better description. It is a of way of understanding and analysing certain types of problem. It is very powerful but impossible to communicate with words so I don't even try - I gave up trying many years ago.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 5:18 pm

I test in somewhere around 130. Sadly, I'm not a savant but I do quite well nevertheless!

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 5:23 pm

My probably-ex-boyfriend on here, Adverb, is a member of Mensa, and my new boyfriend on here, MADDuck, says he refused initiation into Mensa.

My IQ is too low to be a member of Mensa or to be considered a genius; it's only 117. That was the test I took at a mental hospital. I also took tests online and scored 127, 129, 131, 106 and 100.

15 Mar 2009, 5:30 pm

Last time my IQ was tested to be in the 120's. I'd say 127.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 5:32 pm

I haven't taken an IQ test since I was eighteen. Last time I did take it, I scored 138.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 5:40 pm

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt82610.html

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 5:45 pm

Is there a place online where you can take various IQ tests? I'd be curious to see what the scores are. I don't think I've had a real IQ test since I was a kid. I may have had one when I was locked up in a mental ward at 14, but that one would likely be skewed since I was crazy at the time, obviously. I was tested once or twice when I was really little, and the scores were all over the place, one tester said I was mentally ret*d (the words they used were "trainably mentally ret*d", a now obsolete dx that was given to higher functioning low IQ people) and the next one said I was a true genius. I was maybe 4 or 5 at the time. Ever since then my parents have been skeptical of IQ tests, which is probably why I've never been tested as an adult. All they really wanted was for me not to be a drug addict or a criminal. In that case, I lived up to it. It would be nice if I had a job though.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 5:56 pm

For what it's worth the last time I took an IQ test I came in at 155. My "superpower" is the ability to think visually in extreme detail. I'm a mechanical engineer so that has served me well. I keep getting asked to join Mensa by some people I know but I think they're a bunch of douchebags and hate taking tests so why bother. My social IQ used to be sub-retarded but now I am only occasionally ret*d in that area.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 6:05 pm

Oh, just read the thread sinsboldly posted, the online tests are useless. Ok. So where do I go to get tested? Or does it really matter? I mean, if your IQ is 175 and yet you can't get a job waiting tables because you're AS, does it matter how smart you are? Also, it's worth noting that "genius" traits can also be AS traits, suggesting that the line between genius and neurologically impaired is fuzzy, as it is between genius and mental illness/madness/loony tunes. Even Hans Asperger thought we were "little professors".

The main difference seems to be degree-an aspie will be really knowledgeable about a narrow, single subject, and be spectacularly ungifted in others, while a genius will be really knowledgeable about a LOT of subjects. I seem to fit the latter, I know a lot about a lot, and a little about everything. I also have the constant "out of the box thinking" attributed to genius that seems to be less prevalent among pure AS. I knew a boy in one of the classes I did time in as a substitute special ed aide who was really knowledgeable about art, and talked about it all the time, and I said to the teacher one day "he seems really smart", and she said he's smart about only one thing, while (another girl) is smart in general. He probably was aspie.

Also, it seems that politicians can have high raw IQ scores, due to their mastery of verbal communication, yet as we all know they don't know beans about running a country. I remember seeing online that Sarah Palin has an IQ in the 130s, which is pretty good, but once you get her in an interview it's obvious she is really dumb. That's how IQ tests can be tilted in favor of what is being tested. Thus the old claim that an IQ test measures how good you do on an IQ test. Autistics have a BIG problem with this-the traditional verbal tests rates us at the IQ of raw vegetables or the pheasants out here that keep getting run over by cars despite being able to fly, yet other tests will show normal scores.

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2009, 7:05 pm

I took an IQ test online and scored 178 - people didn't believe me so I did it again and scored 176

The intelligent people where I worked scored around 130

Then I was told that IQ tests are all different and the numbers are meaningless

And that there is no such thing as 178 on the MENSA test

So...

I propose you find an IQ test online and we all take the same one and discuss the result

That might make this thread more relevant!

Modality
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Mar 2009, 7:12 pm

I don't think IQ is the correct way to measure genius. One is known as a genius for producing works of genius, not by a score on some test.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 7:19 pm

Pezar, good point. In some cases, IQ is more for vanity's sake. Let's face it, some people aren't going to be happy waiting tables. If everyone were happy waiting tables very few people would get their dream job, right? So, it's actually good there's a variety of skills. You can be happy if you find what you enjoy doing and get positive feedback from the people around you when you are doing it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 7:22 pm

Yeah, IQ is pretty meaningless with autism. You can score really low and still have some really amazing skills, or score really high and still be pretty much disabled. I think when you're autistic you're much better off looking at subscores (which will probably be all over the place)... plus, typical IQ tests are no good for measuring anything above about 130 (well, a couple of standard deviations, depending on the particular test) with any real accuracy, because you won't have a lot of people in the test group who score above that. So uncertainty gets to be pretty big with the high IQs, and same thing for the low ones. Throw in auditory processing, sensory integration, or language problems, and you just about have a recipe for a totally inaccurate IQ test... and one that, if you could get a legitimate IQ reading, wouldn't mean much to begin with.

If you have a really high IQ, sure, it's a strength; but don't expect it to solve your life for you. It isn't the people with high IQs who succeed, necessarily; it's the people who know how to work hard and come at problems from different angles. People who have high IQs and try to mentally brute-force their way through problems just with sheer processing power aren't going to do as well as people who know themselves, know their strengths and weaknesses, and come at problems with the right mental tool for the job.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2009, 7:23 pm

My parents got me tested when I was 8 years old. Astonishingly I scored 163. They paid $400 for a test with a bull result. There is no way in hell I'm that friggin intelligent.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2009, 7:27 pm

So if you want to measure my genius go and read my book http://logicofattraction.com